Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Engine guard...  (Read 1610 times)

quietguy

Engine guard...
« on: July 16, 2006, 08:54:35 PM »

Kuryakyn Ergo engine ... Are these shipping yet? ???

sober

Re: Engine guard...
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2006, 09:25:02 PM »

This site says 7/25/06...

http://www.xtremerevolution.com/Store/spc-1764-7-1-kuryakyn-ergo-engine-guard.aspx

I wonder what they look like on a bike...

quietguy

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2006, 10:51:23 PM »

This site says 7/25/06...

http://www.xtremerevolution.com/Store/spc-1764-7-1-kuryakyn-ergo-engine-guard.aspx

I wonder what they look like on a bike...

Thanks for the link!    I've seen photos.. but don't have the links right at hand - if I find them again will get it for you.   I think they look great.  Fact is, I will get these for my new bike.

Lennie

Dusty

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2006, 04:49:55 AM »

Those are some nice looking guards with good options for different foot locations. Also looks like they would give more lean room than the Lindby's.

But, they look as though they would only be good for a dead stop tip over. Other wise if any forward motion is involved they will fold back against the bike. Not much strength in the two flange type mounts. Matter of fact I bet you will be able to bend them forward with a push of the foot.
But all I'm looking at is a pic and I have been wrong before.
They do look good though.

Just my two cents,

Bill

quietguy

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2006, 08:10:40 AM »

Per Chris at HDL, in an email received this morning:

"They are currently on BO but we have had them in the last few weeks.
We are expecting more anytime. "

You can see a pic of them mounted here:  http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1442018#1442018

And Dusty, I think all engine/"crash" guards have the same properties.. helpful for a slow rolling or dead stop lay down but next to useless in a full on flop.

All we can do is gear up, add what protection we can, and ride Foley ride. O0

Lennie

snake

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • What a ride it's been!
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2006, 09:50:59 AM »

And Dusty, I think all engine/"crash" guards have the same properties.. helpful for a slow rolling or dead stop lay down but next to useless in a full on flop.
Lennie
Lennie, crash bars that have 1 or two solid bars connecting both sides across the front of the motor are way better than a piece that connects on each side. These single units that make a complete loop can mean the difference of a leg or a stump, at speed.
The one I have right now only has one bar (bottom) that goes all the way across, the other connects to the frame with a T connector. It is better than a two piece, but not as good as a full loop guard. After an accident I had my leg trapped up against the motor once by a crashguard, which wasn't good, but the thin pipe outside my leg  was ground badly and bent back sharply. This was 33 years ago, then the crashguards were thinner than waterpipe. That was a thirty MPH hit, and a 15 ft slide. The new guards are much thicker and better. They are good for most anything but a head on, imo.
:ohwow: signed: A reality-challenged left wingnut!
     420! Yeah, baby!

quietguy

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2006, 06:56:47 PM »

You're probably right, snake...

I wish I would have had any of the units on the bike I went down on two plus years ago - 20 mph flop, engine cases smacked my left leg... broken knee and tibia resulted.   Possible a crash bar would have prevented all that damage.. but who knows.

I do know I like those new Kurys and will probably invest in them when my money tree grows back.

Lennie

snake

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • What a ride it's been!
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2006, 09:09:05 PM »

I bought the MC enterprise guards 'cause they were the first ones out for the 02's, and I don't like riding without them. I'm looking at the cobra fatties as a replacement, or the paladins. I haven't found a full loop guard made for the X.
:ohwow: signed: A reality-challenged left wingnut!
     420! Yeah, baby!

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal