Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: helmet laws  (Read 1907 times)

Kentagious

• Master Tejano Rider
helmet laws
« on: January 04, 2009, 01:07:04 PM »

On Fri 1/2/09 I got approached by an Austin bicycle cop and was asked to pull over. Since my passenger and myself weren't wearing helmets, he wanted to see my certificate of rider course. I didn't have it on me. He proceeded to write me and my passenger tickets even though I showed him my medical insurance card from my work. I should be able to get these dismissed once I show proof of rider course certificate, but I'm sure there will be court costs involved anyway. I've posted a link on info from DPS website about riding without helmets. I would also suggest getting the exemption sticker to place on plate.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/msb/helmet.htm
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/msb/helmetlaws.htm
I guess it don't seem wrong if it ain't being done to you.
2015 Victory Cross Country Tour
04' VTX 1300 S

Dusty

Re: helmet laws
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 01:57:04 PM »

That's one ticket that I would not have signed.
I havn't seen my course cert. since the day it was handed to me. God help me if they ever ask for a SS card because I washed it several years ago and it's unlawful to laminate one and a PITA to get a new one.  ::)
If your ins. met the minimum then he should have not written the ticket in my opinion. I hardly ever wear a helmet and have been stopped for speeding a few time and once because my tailight bulb had burned out. Most stops were by the DPS with a couple by local LEO and the subject of helmet has never come up.

I have more than the min. ins. and just for jollies, I got the tag for the plate a couple of months back for cops like the one you had the pleasure of meeting. He was probably pissed because he had to wear one on his bicycle (OSHA) and you don't.

BigDaddyTy

• Rider
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 03:58:27 PM »

I put mine in a ziplock bag with the insurance card inside the so called tool box in the side covers,I guess I still need to get a sticker it's only $5 bucks,for the one cop in Austin...
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 07:45:12 PM by BigDaddyTy »

Snake Doc

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • San Antonio
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 04:19:00 PM »

I lost my proof of the motorcycle safety course so I emailed the DPS.  The next day I had a reply with a .pdf of my card. 

Try this link to click on the email link: http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/msb/msbcontact.htm
My three favorite boxers:
1905-1974 James J. "Cinderella Man" Braddock
2006 Goldwing Nav
2020 Subaru Forester Touring

RocknRoll

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Kingwood, TX
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2009, 06:38:24 PM »

Man - You couldn't out run a bicycle cop? :o

You need an orange bike!  Guaranteed to out run Murry, Schwinn and all PlaySkool!!!!! ;D
Wanna make God laugh?  -  Tell him your plans!

Wanna make God angry?  -  Treat Him with indifference!

Chad

• Board
  • Elvis
  • M G, TX.
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2009, 07:04:02 PM »

Was this the guy who pulled you over?? ;D ;D

Member since 2004
RIP Torque Dec.18,1975-Apr.29,2009

sheen

• Rider
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2009, 09:42:27 PM »

he probably just wanted to check out your rider ;D
2006 1300c
vance and hines big shots
tour master bags
deep dish bezuuuls
iso flame grips memphis shade solar

2007 buell blast

Kentagious

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2009, 06:15:46 PM »

Follow up:  Since I left my credit card at Antones Fri night, plus my lady friend from Florida wanted to go back to a store on 6th st to buy her friend a gift, we went to Austin on Monday to try to get the tickets dismissed. So we went to Austin's municipal court. To start with the tickets weren't in the system yet, so a clerk entered them in. I showed him the sheets I had printed out from the DPS website about requirements when not wearing helmets. He looked for an e-mail the courts had gotten about that, but couldn't find it of course. Since he didn't know the law, he couldn't dismiss the tickets, but he did set me up to talk to a judge. A city prosecuter did end up dismissing the tickets at no cost to me. She admitted that there was a sting operation going on during the holidays. She made a big thing about me not having the decal on my plate. I explained to her that the DPS website clearly states that showing the safety course certificate OR proof of insurance is all that is needed to ride without helmets and that I should've never been given the ticket. She still went back to the decal issue. I explained further that the police confusion on this matter would cause a lot of inconvience to law abiding citizens. Guess what? She didn't care and wouldn't admit that the tickets should never had been written. Moral to the story....... send $5.00 and get the decal, it may not be a sure thing, but it can't hurt. Lucky for me I had to go Austin anyway, but anyone else might have had to take a day off. What really rubbed salt in the wound for me was the at least 20 times bums asked me for money while walking around 6th st. I guess this is acceptable, but not out of town bikers spending hard earned money in Austin. Lucky for us here, there are plenty of places other than Austin that would welcome us.
I guess it don't seem wrong if it ain't being done to you.
2015 Victory Cross Country Tour
04' VTX 1300 S

snake

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • What a ride it's been!
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2009, 06:30:07 PM »

The bad part of it is, they don't say on the DPS website that you need a permit on your bike, they say if you have one you will not have to be pulled over to see if you are legal, LOL They are in effect saying the permit is voluntary, but expect a little AppleSauce now and then if you don't have one and ride without a helmet. That's the jist of the law, ;D.
:ohwow: signed: A reality-challenged left wingnut!
     420! Yeah, baby!

sherri

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • The Woodlands
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2009, 10:17:26 PM »

Man - You couldn't out run a bicycle cop? :o

You need an orange bike!  Guaranteed to out run Murry, Schwinn and all PlaySkool!!!!! ;D

ditto hehe

If you ever see me with horns sticking out of my helmet
call an ambulance  .  .  .  .    I’ve hit a deer

bayou-biker

• Old Timer
  • Richmond, TX
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2009, 12:51:53 AM »

Ken - glad you got it dismissed, and that I'm not the only one who's having fun with the POPO's   ;D
2002 VTX1800C Red, BigShots, Thunder Tear Drop, PCIII -CA
2003 Z1000 - Two Brothers, Airbox mod, PCIII -TX
2001 ZRX1200R - Ivan's Jets, Akrapovic, K&N Pods, Racetech -TX
2001 ZRX1200R - Dynojet, Muzzy, Racetech, Ohlins -TX
2002 XR650L - Mikuni HSR42 carb, XR's Only complete exhaust system -TX

hobo

• Board
  • Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Cedar Creek Lake
    • westcherry.com
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2009, 03:15:31 AM »

Sometimes it's hard for me to listen to a lecture from someone half my age who has never ridden and thinks I need the benefit of their vast knowledge, so I've been known to kindly tell them to write the ticket and keep their opinions to themselves. Sometimes this doesn't work out like I would like it to... :-\

I saw getting the sticker as a good way to avoid the kind of BS that always gets me in trouble, so I got it as soon as I took the course... 8)
My 2003 1800C lives at the shores of Cedar Creek Lake in Mabank, Texas
Don't make me get nekkid!... Smell The Bumper... I got my cookies!

Dusty

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2009, 05:49:26 AM »

Sometimes it's hard for me to listen to a lecture from someone half my age who has never ridden and thinks I need the benefit of their vast knowledge, so I've been known to kindly tell them to write the ticket and keep their opinions to themselves. Sometimes this doesn't work out like I would like it to... :-\

I saw getting the sticker as a good way to avoid the kind of BS that always gets me in trouble, so I got it as soon as I took the course... 8)

Man can I relate to that statement. I got lite up here in Lumb.,(in my truck) I put my blinker on and proceeded to the place of business that I was going to in the first place. He followed me in, I had no idea as to why he was stopping me. He got my license & ins. and ask if I still lived at the address on my license. I was already pissed because he had yet to tell me why I had been stopped so I politely told him that yes I still lived there and had been living there longer than he had been alive. Well, he appologised for stopping me and admitted that he had stopped me because he misread my registration date. The truck was 4 months old.  Then, he ask if I worked at the place of business where I had stopped. At this point I'm aggravated and told him "Officer, that is none of your business and if you will excuse me, I'm going in to take care of what I came here for, you have a good day. I locked my truck and walked off.

hipshot

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney, TX
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2009, 07:19:13 AM »

Man can I relate to that statement. I got lite up here in Lumb.,(in my truck) I put my blinker on and proceeded to the place of business that I was going to in the first place. He followed me in, I had no idea as to why he was stopping me. He got my license & ins. and ask if I still lived at the address on my license. I was already pissed because he had yet to tell me why I had been stopped so I politely told him that yes I still lived there and had been living there longer than he had been alive. Well, he appologised for stopping me and admitted that he had stopped me because he misread my registration date. The truck was 4 months old.  Then, he ask if I worked at the place of business where I had stopped. At this point I'm aggravated and told him "Officer, that is none of your business and if you will excuse me, I'm going in to take care of what I came here for, you have a good day. I locked my truck and walked off.

And that's how I met Bill..............
02 1800C

jmdaniel

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • My other toy, '77 FJ40...
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2009, 07:27:21 AM »

$5 for a sticker you don't need? Not on my bike. The guvmint has its hand deep enough in my pocket as it is.  >:(
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
-- Unknown

2016 Honda F6B Deluxe
2007 Yamaha FJR1300A
2003 Honda VTX 1300
Pages: [1] 2

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal