Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Cast your vote  (Read 2219 times)

Lucky

• Board
  • Elvis
  • Canyon Lake, TX
    • Facebook
Cast your vote
« on: December 12, 2008, 09:24:27 AM »

Here's your chance to let the media know where you stand.   NBC is taking a poll if "In God We Trust" should stay on our American currency.  Click on the link and cast your vote.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10103521/
"Lucky" Connie
'06 Pearl Dark Blue 1300C
If you don't love what you're doing, then don't do it.
Your chances of success are directly proportional to the degree of pleasure you derive from what you do.

hooter

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • Itasca (just North of Hillsboro on sceanic I-35W)
Re: Cast your vote
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2008, 09:37:51 AM »

I voted and that means it better stay on there, but I know Snake will vote and cancel my vote out just like he did in the Prez race.  O0 :( :( :(     ;D ;D

J/K with ya Snake
What I do today is very important because
I traded a day of my life for it.

Whatever you want to do, do it now.
  There are only so many tomorrows.

GerTXr

• Tejano
  • Montgomery, TX
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2008, 11:16:46 AM »

O0
Gerry
'06 1800S

snake

• What a ride it's been!
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2008, 11:27:16 AM »

Actually, it doesn't bother me it being on there at all, it spends the same. ;D
:ohwow: signed: A reality-challenged left wingnut!
     420! Yeah, baby!

xcaliber

• Board
  • Elvis
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2008, 03:39:10 PM »

somethings should be left alone as a matter of tradition. I can't see how that motto threatens anyone unless they are insecure in their own beliefs or lack there of. I say leave it alone, it's part of the American heritage. Everyone needs to quit being so thinned skinned and easily insulted. We all have more important things to be concern our selves with.
It's all just part of the adventure!

Lone_Wolfe

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Seattle, WA
    • My Cycle Travels
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2008, 07:13:58 PM »

I don't see any reason why it can't stay. Personally I don't care one way or another. The United States wasn't founded for any Religious reasons, or with any Religion in mind. Not much tradition in the motto on our currency either. It was first added to the one and two cent coins after the Civil War. Since then it's been off again, on again more than once. Our Government rightfully maintains separation of Church and State, as it should. Yet we tend to pray a lot to our Gods to protect the U.S.

I do agree with xcaliber's thoughts. I'd vote yes if I gave two cents.

POGOGOLF

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Jeff in GA - '02 1800 C
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2008, 09:14:40 PM »

I don't see any reason why it can't stay. Personally I don't care one way or another. The United States wasn't founded for any Religious reasons, or with any Religion in mind. Not much tradition in the motto on our currency either. It was first added to the one and two cent coins after the Civil War. Since then it's been off again, on again more than once. Our Government rightfully maintains separation of Church and State, as it should. Yet we tend to pray a lot to our Gods to protect the U.S.

You are kidding, right? Surely you are smarter than what this implies?!
Ride Safe!! Jeff in GA <>< I believe in Easter
'02 1800 C model - 57,000 miles and climbing

Lone_Wolfe

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Seattle, WA
    • My Cycle Travels
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2008, 09:45:16 PM »

Oh come on, tell me you aren't one of the one's brainwashed by the Fanatical Religious Right!? The Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense founded on the Christian religion. Our fore fathers founded this country because they were fed up with taxation without representation by the British Govt.

Quote:Religious Right activists have attempted to rewrite history by asserting that the United States government derived from Christian foundations, that our Founding Fathers originally aimed for a Christian nation. This idea simply does not hold to the historical evidence.

Although the Constitution does not include the phrase "Separation of Church & State," neither does it say "Freedom of religion." However, the Constitution implies both in the 1st Amendment. As to our freedoms, the 1st Amendment provides exclusionary wording:

Congress shall make NO law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances. EndQuote.

Swampfox

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2008, 12:00:37 AM »

Xwrecker

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2008, 05:30:59 AM »

I vote for Stevie!!!!!!
Amen Brother!!!!!    RIP SRV 8)

POGOGOLF

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2008, 06:31:34 AM »

Oh come on, tell me you aren't one of the one's brainwashed by the Fanatical Religious Right!? The Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense founded on the Christian religion. Our fore fathers founded this country because they were fed up with taxation without representation by the British Govt.

Quote:Religious Right activists have attempted to rewrite history by asserting that the United States government derived from Christian foundations, that our Founding Fathers originally aimed for a Christian nation. This idea simply does not hold to the historical evidence.

Although the Constitution does not include the phrase "Separation of Church & State," neither does it say "Freedom of religion." However, the Constitution implies both in the 1st Amendment. As to our freedoms, the 1st Amendment provides exclusionary wording:

Congress shall make NO law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances. EndQuote.

I guess Encarta (for example) is part of this "Religious Right activist" group of which you apparently are paranoid?! http://encarta.msn.com/encnet/refpages/refarticle.aspx?refid=761557909

Then again, if you don't like Encarta's take on it, how about Wikipedia's.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pilgrims

I believe if you want to see someone who is buying into the re-writing of history dealio, you might need to go buy yourself a mirror..... http://www.mayflowerhistory.com/History/religion.php

You conspiracy theorists give me a occasional good old fashioned chuckle...thanks for the spins and grins.  :D  ;D  O0

snake

• What a ride it's been!
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2008, 07:31:36 AM »

"Just for spins and grins", haven't heard that one before, lol. I  agree with Lone Wolf (Guess that makes you just Wolf ;D) The states was not founded for a religous reason. Plain and simple. The encarta reference above actually spelled that much out: "Among the early Pilgrims was a group of Separatists, members of a radical religious movement that broke from the Church of England during the 16th and 17th centuries.".[/i]
The US was Colonized as part of the old worlds efforts to take possession of a new bounty of land to plunder. It was not just people wanting a new place to put their churches, lol. Many countries wanted a piece of our pie, and sent boatloads of people, who among them , held people of many faiths.
That said, when the straw broke the camels back and the colonists rioted and decided to split from England, it was not for religious reasons. When we were formed (U.S.), many were of the Christian faith and it understandably was woven into the documents of the times. That Constitution was then looked at, because signers did not want to ratify the constitution without civil liberties being expressed, and they decided to amend it to include what I consider to be a non-presecution clause, the first amendment. As religous people have been persecuted for their beliefs, mostly by other "religious" groups, throughout time, the founding fathers decided to make sure it would not happen in the united states on a federal level. Were we founded with religious beliefs? You betchya. Because of? NOT. My 2
« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 07:45:58 AM by snake »
:ohwow: signed: A reality-challenged left wingnut!
     420! Yeah, baby!

RedDragon

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2008, 07:56:57 AM »

See what you started Connie! ::) :D ;D ;D ;D

2005 VTX 1800C Red Tribal Flame
2005 Yamaha FZ1 Silver

Lucky

• Board
  • Elvis
  • Canyon Lake, TX
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2008, 01:00:29 PM »

See what you started Connie! ::) :D ;D ;D ;D
Hey, every girl secretly likes having a fight occur because of her  ::)

And my .02 is that I think Snake was right on track with his explanation.  O0
"Lucky" Connie
'06 Pearl Dark Blue 1300C
If you don't love what you're doing, then don't do it.
Your chances of success are directly proportional to the degree of pleasure you derive from what you do.

POGOGOLF

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2008, 03:00:04 PM »

"Just for spins and grins", haven't heard that one before, lol. I  agree with Lone Wolf (Guess that makes you just Wolf ;D) The states was not founded for a religous reason. Plain and simple. The encarta reference above actually spelled that much out: "Among the early Pilgrims was a group of Separatists, members of a radical religious movement that broke from the Church of England during the 16th and 17th centuries.".[/i]
The US was Colonized as part of the old worlds efforts to take possession of a new bounty of land to plunder. It was not just people wanting a new place to put their churches, lol. Many countries wanted a piece of our pie, and sent boatloads of people, who among them , held people of many faiths.
That said, when the straw broke the camels back and the colonists rioted and decided to split from England, it was not for religious reasons. When we were formed (U.S.), many were of the Christian faith and it understandably was woven into the documents of the times. That Constitution was then looked at, because signers did not want to ratify the constitution without civil liberties being expressed, and they decided to amend it to include what I consider to be a non-presecution clause, the first amendment. As religous people have been persecuted for their beliefs, mostly by other "religious" groups, throughout time, the founding fathers decided to make sure it would not happen in the united states on a federal level. Were we founded with religious beliefs? You betchya. Because of? NOT. My 2
Kewl...we can once again agree to disagree. My 2 cents back attcha. O0 Just in case either of you (maybe I should now say any of you) wish to see what each and EVERY state constitution says as regards God, then check this out...it doesn't appear I am the only one who thinks your stance is skewed... http://www.usconstitution.net/states_god.html  O0  O0  O0  O0  O0
« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 04:19:43 PM by POGOGOLF »
Pages: [1] 2

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal