Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Motorcycle Jack  (Read 3754 times)

iluvink

Motorcycle Jack
« on: November 12, 2008, 11:16:38 AM »

This probably has been covered, but a search didn't find anything.  So, I am looking at the jack from Northern Tool, that is on sale.  Anyone use or have one?

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200326249_200326249

Thanks.

Gumbo

• Board
  • Elvis
  • 06 1800R
Re: Motorcycle Jack
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 11:27:19 AM »

Do not have on but the capacity looks good, I think I'll get me one. Thanks  O0
\"The moment you taste it, something wet and dark leaps on you and starts humping you like a swamp dog in heat, and the only way to get it off you is to eat it off, It\'s Gumbo!! If you don\'t eat it then the mystery beast will go right on humping you.

iluvink

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 11:29:11 AM »

Print the web page and the local store will honor the price.  No need to wait.

Chad

• Board
  • Elvis
  • M G, TX.
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 02:27:45 PM »

The picture on Northern Tools site is one of a Larin Motorcycle Jack!! I have had the Torin Big Red Jack and had to return it becaause it was too tall to go under my bike!!! Now I will remind you my bike sets a little bit lower than stock but I will say the Larin jack is alot better one than the Torin Big Red!! The Big Red one is built a bit differnt than the one in the picture! But will say that is a good buy!!   ;D
Member since 2004
RIP Torque Dec.18,1975-Apr.29,2009

HeadGuess

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Wills Point, Texas
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 04:59:48 PM »

I have that exact jack from Northern and it is in fact to tall to go under my X. I do use it though I just run my front tire onto a piece of stone I had left off of a job. I got mine on sale for $59.99 at the Garland Store.

RSWhite

• Old Timer
  • Frisco Tx
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008, 08:58:19 PM »

I use the Yellow Sears jack.  Works well... for sure low enough.
better that the Red Sears jack.  Makes cleaning the whitewalls
a snap.

RW  O0 O0

2004 1800 Retro Spoke, Spec3, Black/Cherry
"Protect the ones you love...  wear a helmet"

Morgan Buchanan

• Texas X Rider OverLord
    • Fantastic Opportunity!  Look and ask me about it!
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2008, 05:03:10 AM »

the height was going to be my question... the site says the collapsed height is over 5 inches, that's pretty tall.  I don't personally like the notion of having to put my bike down on something that isn't the ground to get it off my my jack.
My now long gone VTX...

iluvink

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2008, 08:55:31 AM »

Well, I bought and then returned the Northern Tool jack...it is too tall...I found this one, and ordered it...just a bit more money...but I think that it will workout better...

http://www.toolfetch.com/Category/Shop_Equipment/Floor_Jacks/OTC1545.htm?per=15&page=2

Best price on the 'Net...that I could find.

Chad

• Board
  • Elvis
  • M G, TX.
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2008, 12:37:58 PM »

If you wanted to know where to get a good motorcycle jack you can go to Tractor Supply!! Now I will tell you that they have been switching over to another brand the Big Red one but alot of them still have a the Larin brand which is only $109.99.  ;D
Member since 2004

heirloom

• Old Timer
  • Tyler, Texas
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2008, 07:24:22 PM »

The one mentioned at ToolFetch is looks identical to the one I bought at Sears.  Got mine in '03 on sale for $80 and it has been working great.  It is, however, too tall to put under the bike while on the sidestand.  If I put something about the thickness of a brick under the sidestand, the jack will slip under.  My bike is stock height.  This is the way to go!!:   http://www.completehydraulic.com/tcmlw.html    O0

Heirloom, MSF Rider Coach
Love my bikes!!!

hooter

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • Itasca (just North of Hillsboro on sceanic I-35W)
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2008, 08:49:12 PM »

I've got 2 Sear's Red one's and have no problems getting either one under my 1800, 1300 or the 750. Works great and is stable when you let it down on the locks, even at full extention in the up position. I paid $80 for one and $ 35 (thanks Ken) for the other. The one iluvink looks identical to the Sear's jack except it's a different color and comes with the straps and all (that I've never used because I feel confident enought not to). The one heirloom came up with would be good for maybe oil changes but that's about it. Looks pretty impressive, but --------. Just my $.02
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 08:50:43 PM by hooter »
What I do today is very important because
I traded a day of my life for it.

Whatever you want to do, do it now.
  There are only so many tomorrows.

Bomber

• Old Timer
  • 03' 1800R slightly modded......
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2008, 12:09:50 AM »

I've used my Sears cheap old red jack for the past two years and it's worked great.  I've got 'ol whatzhisnames sturdyerthanabrickouthouse stand and that is excellent for parking the bike!  What is his name?? :-\

hooter

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • Itasca (just North of Hillsboro on sceanic I-35W)
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2008, 05:22:42 AM »

Cyberhick      Steve
What I do today is very important because
I traded a day of my life for it.

Whatever you want to do, do it now.
  There are only so many tomorrows.

Chad

• Board
  • Elvis
  • M G, TX.
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2008, 01:31:20 PM »

Member since 2004

tejasx

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2008, 03:41:16 PM »

I've got 2 Sear's Red one's and have no problems getting either one under my 1800, 1300 or the 750. Works great and is stable when you let it down on the locks, even at full extention in the up position. I paid $80 for one and $ 35 (thanks Ken) for the other. The one iluvink looks identical to the Sear's jack except it's a different color and comes with the straps and all (that I've never used because I feel confident enought not to). The one heirloom came up with would be good for maybe oil changes but that's about it. Looks pretty impressive, but --------. Just my $.02

Glad you are getting good use out of it and was happy to give you a good deal.  Always ready to help a fellow x'r out.
Pages: [1] 2

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal