Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Baffel question  (Read 1473 times)

Lucky

• Board
  • Elvis
  • Canyon Lake, TX
    • Facebook
Baffel question
« on: October 21, 2008, 03:33:51 PM »

So if you have V&H Big Shots and you take the baffels out and then decide it is too loud, can you put the baffels back in?  Can you buy the baffels or do they only come with pipes?  My son is looking to buy a bike with these pipes on them and no baffels.
"Lucky" Connie
'06 Pearl Dark Blue 1300C
If you don't love what you're doing, then don't do it.
Your chances of success are directly proportional to the degree of pleasure you derive from what you do.

matap

• Board
  • Master of Monumental Proportions
  • "Just put that hammer down and give it hell" -J.R.
Re: Baffel question
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 04:33:27 PM »

I think you can put the baffles back in.  Try www.denniskirk.com , they have baffles you can put in. will have to measure the i.d. but i think on there website they have instructions. ???
"Talk low, talk slow and don't talk too much" - John Wayne

Scotrod

• Tejano
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 06:14:01 PM »

Take em out, put em in???,,, yes.

They also offer 'quiet' baffles for the big shots.

http://www.directlineparts.com/product.asp?pid=3858&str=1&ID=750504097

I believe, from the factory, they use quiet baffles on the "R" pipes, and just 'plain' baffles on "C" pipes, but DO NOT quote me.

Even with the 'quiet' baffles, many feel that V and H are on the 'loud' side.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 06:17:20 PM by Scotrod »

wwaggett

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Clear Lake, Texas Always busy doing nothing at all
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 08:43:59 PM »

I took my quiet baffles out and put in the Big City Thunder Monster Baffles.  am going to purchase a new set of Big Shots to replace my damaged ones. I will have atleast one set of quiet baffles left over if you want them. I still have the first set of quiet baffles, but one of them does not have the fiber glass insulation any more.

Warren

Dusty

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 04:29:40 AM »

I bought V&H Big Shots from one of HDL's hurricane sales. They came with both sets of baffles.

POGOGOLF

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Jeff in GA - '02 1800 C
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2008, 05:29:20 AM »

I took my quiet baffles out and put in the Big City Thunder Monster Baffles.  am going to purchase a new set of Big Shots to replace my damaged ones. I will have atleast one set of quiet baffles left over if you want them. I still have the first set of quiet baffles, but one of them does not have the fiber glass insulation any more.

Warren
Big Larry (CA X riders board for the newbies) did a real decent job years ago on explaining the rewrapping of baffles, if I had time I'd paste it here, but first I'd have to find it and I'm too old and tired to mess with it, sorry.
Ride Safe!! Jeff in GA <>< I believe in Easter
'02 1800 C model - 57,000 miles and climbing

Lucky

• Board
  • Elvis
  • Canyon Lake, TX
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2008, 10:21:43 AM »

Warren
Warren, it is quite possible we would like your quiet baffles.  Going to see the bike tomorrow and the original owner says he has to wear ear plugs when he rides.  I would imagine that Andrew is going to want the baffles.  So put a hold on those for us please.
"Lucky" Connie
'06 Pearl Dark Blue 1300C
If you don't love what you're doing, then don't do it.
Your chances of success are directly proportional to the degree of pleasure you derive from what you do.

wwaggett

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Clear Lake, Texas Always busy doing nothing at all
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2008, 01:36:47 PM »

No problem.

Boogie

• Master Tejano Rider
  • GULF OF MEXICO
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2008, 07:01:35 PM »

Warren
Warren, it is quite possible we would like your quiet baffles.  Going to see the bike tomorrow and the original owner says he has to wear ear plugs when he rides.  I would imagine that Andrew is going to want the baffles.  So put a hold on those for us please.

I just repacked my roadhouse mufflers, it's a no brainer, Usally the baffle has just one screw ( Maybe 2 depending on the brand.
The kit comes with fiberglass and steelwool. After removing the baffles, wrap the fiberglass around the baffle and then wrap the wool around the packing.
The flanges on each end of the baffle will hold the packing in place when you slide it back into the pipe.
Cost, about $20 -$25 per muffler.
I was surprised at the deep rumble when I finished.
The whole job took about 30 mins or less.
If you order from the manufacturer you may pay more, Roadhouse told me that when it comes to the packing kits, they rather sell in bulk to distributors.
Their price was nearly double. They don't want to sell to individuals but if you pay alot they will be glad to take the money.
                      Native Texan, I ride a steel horse

Scotrod

• Tejano
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2008, 07:36:18 PM »

Hmm, Silly me, I thought the steel wool went on first, and the 'glass wrapped last, under the assumption that the steel wool would somewhat protect the 'glass and keep it from degrading/exiting el baffle,,,
So much for my future as a professional baffle wrap designer!

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal