Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Idling Help  (Read 2722 times)

maveriks

• Rider
  • 07 VTX 1300S
Idling Help
« on: October 04, 2008, 06:52:09 AM »

In pursuit of putting chrome housing I messed up the idling on my bike. As per a suggestion online I tried to loosen the nut behind stock air box - this was supposed to give more room to remove throttle cable from throttle sleeve. I did not succeed in putting the chrome stuff & ended up messing my bike's idling as well. So much PITA for the *** chrome housings.... :-X

• Problem: Bike does not start with throttle as is; starts only if I twist the throttle an inch or more. I did ride the bike w the problem for couple of days & hit reserve @ 125 (in 3 months ownership, never got less than 145)..smelled a lot of gas while I did that...& would hear some bursts from exhaust early in the ride.. ???
  • Reason:  I messed with the nut behind stock air box & the idling knob below it.
  • Situation: Now I'm no where with all reference points lost with so many trial-&-errors. Lost track of how stock setting was.

I'd appreciate any help in getting me out of this mess....bike is garaged now & losing all riding time....had tried enough trials...lost patience and gave up.......

Attached are pics to help my case.... 8)

I lost track of where the two nuts for the cable are supposed to be in reference to the holding piece... ::)

I can't recollect where the spring end of this piece is supposed to go...not sure if it just hangs open ended behind the air box.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)
MaverikS (07 1300s Met Blk Cherry)

maveriks

• Rider
  • 07 VTX 1300S
Re: Idling Help
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 04:17:00 PM »

It makes me wonder..what's so wrong in this post that it does not deserve even a single reply..... ::)

Chad

• Board
  • Elvis
  • M G, TX.
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 05:00:25 PM »

It makes me wonder..what's so wrong in this post that it does not deserve even a single reply..... ::)
I really wish I could help you out but I have no idea what could be the problem!! Give it time! If in a real hurry get on the big board and you will get alot of help Iam sure!!  8) Good luck!!   www.vtxoa.com   
Member since 2004
RIP Torque Dec.18,1975-Apr.29,2009

Dusty

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 05:12:13 PM »

Since you don't appear to have a fear of working on your bike, this may be a good time to purchase a service manual. May gain you some riding time in the future. Wish I could help but Idon't know didly about the 1300.

Like Chad said, you will probably get a faster response on the big board.  O0

Good Luck

SouthernXer

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • BRAD Allen, Texas
    • Me playing music
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008, 06:03:49 PM »

I'd like to help but I rode the short bus to carburetor school...  Chad is right...  VTXOA.com is probably your best bet.  I'd still get a manual, too.   O0

TAZ

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Conroe TX.
    • The "TAZ" Machine
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2008, 07:14:51 PM »

Where do you live?  It you could get the bike to my house we could get it running I am sure.  Looking at the pictures it looks like you need to tighten the pull cable.  I am work and so I can not go look at my bike.  I will see if I have time tomorrow to take some pics of mind for you.  This way you will have a starting point. Also I will look in my shop manual and see if there are some pictures that would help you.
If you want to trailer it over this weekend we will get it going.  Just give me a call 281-352-6799
Later,
"TAZ"
1300C

LEDS installed for $150.00 for members and $200.00 for non members. 14 pods, switch, fuse holder, 3amp fuse included for that price.
http://s193.photobucket.com/albums/z147/LEDTAZ/

maveriks

• Rider
  • 07 VTX 1300S
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2008, 10:25:43 PM »

I'd like to help but I rode the short bus to carburetor school...  Chad is right...  VTXOA.com is probably your best bet.  I'd still get a manual, too.   O0

Chad, Dusty, SouthernXer & Taz: Thanks a bunch for the suggestions & responses: I did post it on the big one before coming to our local pages here. URL will take you to the VTXOA Post

Taz, I sincerely appreciate your gesture for the help. I shall be getting back to town on Friday; will take a chance with the manual. Pics would be really helpful if you can find the time; for now I'm looking at help with two things 1) where does the spring end of the Black idle knob go 2)any tips of how to tighten the pull cable will be really helpful.

If I can't fix it, I think I can get it to a decent level so that I can ride up.

Once again, I thank all for the responses.

TAZ

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Conroe TX.
    • The "TAZ" Machine
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2008, 02:10:05 AM »

Idle adjustment screw with spring on it.

Cables

Cables

Cables

When you tighten on cable you have to make sure the other one is not to lose or to tight.

Hope this helps.  If not get up here and I will get it going for you. O0
Later,
"TAZ"
1300C

LEDS installed for $150.00 for members and $200.00 for non members. 14 pods, switch, fuse holder, 3amp fuse included for that price.

Dusty

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2008, 06:49:06 AM »

Maybe I've had too much Vicodin, but those pictures had the same affect as the movie "Journey to the center of the earth." Plus, I kept  looking at where the arrow was pointing and not seeing anything familiar. Then I snapped that the arrow was my curser.  :'(

I'm going back to bed  :D

But first, Maveriks, have you looked at the microfiche on vtxoa?  http://tech.vtxoa.com/
left side menu. Pull up carberator.

NEVER MIND, GO HERE   http://www.hdlparts.com/   and click on parts finder. Find your model, which should look like this.   

http://www.hdlparts.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?category=Motorcycles&make=Honda&year=2007&fveh=12174

SEARCH FOR CARBERATOR.  It should look like this.  http://www.hdlparts.com/fiche_section_detail.asp

I think the idle adjustment is at the bottom left in part #20  You can zoom in and out on the fiche.

I sure hope this helps as I HAVEN'T tried the links yet to see if they work.  ::) What a work out. Using my left hand on the mouse and typing with one finger instead of two. I'M SOOOOO CONFUSED!!  ;D

I CHECKED THE LINKS, NONE TAKE YOU TO THE CARB. The second link will get you directly to the search  I'm done.   :P
« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 07:00:02 AM by Dusty »

maveriks

• Rider
  • 07 VTX 1300S
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2008, 05:28:22 PM »

I was excited having gotten such detailed pictures from TAZ & jumped with the hope that I can nail this down and rider over the weekend....

But this sh**** thing only seems to get worse....AGAIN....so much mess for the chrome housing....****

Followed TAZ's pictures & screwed in the throttle nuts AS-IS; dealt with the 2nd item - screwed in the top end of the idling knob into the hole to let the throttle piece land on it........all set, put the air cover everything on....try to start and the beast never starts.....**#$%@#*&......can't curse any more...

first thought came about battery..if something wrong...I don't think so since lights, horn all work fine....not sure my messing around got in too much fuel in (I might not be making sense here..I don't know)....

Not having a truck...I'll call in a service to tow it to the dealer sometime tomorrow...I've had enough of my **** around...TAZ...I live too far away in Dallas (Valleyrach-Irving).....& now the damn thing won't even start...so can't ride it to your place

I appreciate all for the suggestions, tips & everything...TAZ - any time we happen to meet, drink/meal is on me plz..

Thank You!

Dusty

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2008, 06:36:23 PM »

Don't take this wrong, but ....... keys on, switch is on and kick stands up? YEP, I've done it.  ::)

hipshot

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney, TX
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2008, 06:33:46 AM »

And check the vacuum lines.
02 1800C

TAZ

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Conroe TX.
    • The "TAZ" Machine
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2008, 11:29:05 PM »

Sorry Bro that it didn't work.  If I wasn't so busy with the garage sale this weekend with my "WIFE" I would come up and help you out.  The dealer will rip you off.  I can't beleave that none of our north guys will help you out. :o
Good Luck! O0
Later,
"TAZ"
1300C

Morgan Buchanan

• Texas X Rider OverLord
    • Fantastic Opportunity!  Look and ask me about it!
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2008, 07:02:38 AM »

Man that sucks... I don't know bubkus about the 1300s or I'd have come over.  Did you get it to the dealership?
My now long gone VTX...

maveriks

• Rider
  • 07 VTX 1300S
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2008, 12:15:24 AM »

Good News: Bike is up & running again. :)

Dumber: All was good with Bike, Battery was out of juice with my trail-n-errors  :P....Mike @ DFWHonda was nice and charged only $24 incl all....no towing charges since used my Insurance's (Progressive) road-side assistance.

Lesson 1: Lights, horn etc might work; but battery might not have enough to ignite. the reason why we have measuring instruments.... :-X
Lesson 2: details around the fuel mechanism, cold throttle settings, idling knob & quite a bit of details around the air filter. ::)
Lesson 3: hope the frustration will help me have a little bit of more patience in future. ???

I appreciate all for your time. Next time you see a post on this context.... you know whom to beat up...send them my way....
Pages: [1] 2

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal