Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Badge stripping  (Read 2002 times)

heirloom

• Old Timer
  • Tyler, Texas
Badge stripping
« on: September 29, 2008, 08:54:12 PM »

For those wanting to remove badges, stickers, lettering or anything fastened with the 3M double-sided, foam, mounting tape.....here are a couple of tips I wish I had known ahead of time.  (Badges and such are a lot easier to remove from a new vehicle than one that has been baked in the sun or stored in a hot garage or aged for a few years)

Removing the badges can usually be accomplished by carefully and slowly peeling them off by hand.  If this proves to be too difficult, try using some good fishing line, like Spiderwire, or dental floss (I didn't have much luck with the dental floss, it kept breaking).....the line can be held tightly and 'sawed' back and forth behind the badge until freed).

After removal, there will be a patch of the foam adhesive remaining on the painted surface that can be a real b*tch to remove.  Goo Gone and other products for removing sticky stuff just won't work.  Fear not, help is here in the form of an eraser.  3M and Astro make a hard, gum rubber wheel that chucks into any good drill, I believe mine is a 3/8th inch shaft.  These are called "Pinstripe" or "Stripe" removers and can be had via the net or at any good auto body paint supply.  Used properly, they will not harm paint or clearcoat and will make short work of removing the mounting tape or aftermarket vinyl pinstripes that have not been clearcoated.  The Astro brand eraser is about half the price of the 3M and is an equivalent product at $12-$15.

Note that using the eraser will produce a considerable amount of 'eraser' dust, so, work in a suitable area.  It is easily blown off of surfaces and out of crevices on the bike/vehicle.  A little glaze and wax will take care of any remaining material.
Heirloom, MSF Rider Coach
Love my bikes!!!

Gumbo

• Board
  • Elvis
  • 06 1800R
Re: Badge stripping
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 09:19:35 PM »

Good information O0
\"The moment you taste it, something wet and dark leaps on you and starts humping you like a swamp dog in heat, and the only way to get it off you is to eat it off, It\'s Gumbo!! If you don\'t eat it then the mystery beast will go right on humping you.

hipshot

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney, TX
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 06:29:48 AM »

Berkley Fireline is easier on the paint than Spiderwire (and cheaper, too). Also, lighter fluid cuts the adhesive better than WD-40 or Goo Gone, if you don't have the eraser. Why'd you wait so long, Roland?
02 1800C

heirloom

• Old Timer
  • Tyler, Texas
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 09:55:37 AM »

Berkley Fireline is easier on the paint than Spiderwire (and cheaper, too). Also, lighter fluid cuts the adhesive better than WD-40 or Goo Gone, if you don't have the eraser. Why'd you wait so long, Roland?

Because I had already done this to the X (the day after I got it home).  I did it to my Concours, the same......no problems, new bike.  But, a few days ago I stripped a 10 yr old Kawasaki of tank badges, etc. and had absolute hell!  Any form of 'goo' remover did not work, I was only one step away from acetone! (didn't want to screw up the paint).  Lighter fluid, carb/brake cleaner, starting fluid, GooGone, WD-40....nothing had a significant impact on this age tempered crap!  However, the eraser walked right through it! and it didn't affect the paint in any way.......it was terrific!  I'll never pull another badge without one.
Love my bikes!!!

Snake Doc

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • San Antonio
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2008, 05:31:37 AM »

When I de-badged my 02 Altima I used WD-40 and a hair dryer to heat up the adhesive; it was easier to pull off as it warmed up.
My three favorite boxers:
1905-1974 James J. "Cinderella Man" Braddock
2006 Goldwing Nav
2020 Subaru Forester Touring

murray_61

• Board
  • Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Hobe Sound, FL
    • facebook
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2008, 04:52:23 PM »

When I took the molding off my previous chevy pick-up, I had absolute hell getting the tape off.  The truck was 8 years old then.  I took it by a body shop that wanted a couple hundred bucks to erase the tape, took it to another, and they had me out the door for free in 15 minutes...  just said remember us when you have your next fender bender...  that eraser wheel is good stuff!

Dusty

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2008, 06:31:16 PM »

Second day I had my bike, I rode it to what use to be Boliver. I parked it in the sun and one of my tank badges sprung loose and fell off. The other one peeled right off by hand. I didn't like the look so I bought more tape and stuck them back on. I like Honda.  ;)

BobB

• Old Timer
  • Cypress, TX
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2008, 06:47:29 AM »

Try slow reducer, you can buy it from almost any paint store.  I've removed emblems that have been on for years and left no marks.

heirloom

• Old Timer
  • Tyler, Texas
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2008, 09:12:00 PM »

Try slow reducer, you can buy it from almost any paint store.  I've removed emblems that have been on for years and left no marks.

Glad you had good results with the reducer, Bob.  I would have been scared of what it might do to the paint.   I know the 'eraser' is safe on the paint and it makes super short work of the mounting tape!
Love my bikes!!!

Morgan Buchanan

• Texas X Rider OverLord
    • Fantastic Opportunity!  Look and ask me about it!
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2008, 08:48:15 AM »

I see that subject and all I can think of is....

My now long gone VTX...

heirloom

• Old Timer
  • Tyler, Texas
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2008, 10:37:43 PM »

Oh yeah!!!   I wouldn't need an eraser or reducer for that one!   :o
Love my bikes!!!

Morgan Buchanan

• Texas X Rider OverLord
    • Fantastic Opportunity!  Look and ask me about it!
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2008, 08:10:56 AM »

She'd be a fine reducer...  it'd take a lot of work...
My now long gone VTX...

hobo

• Board
  • Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Cedar Creek Lake
    • westcherry.com
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2008, 06:01:44 PM »

Strip the badges, chrome the handcuffs, and we're off to the darkside... O0
My 2003 1800C lives at the shores of Cedar Creek Lake in Mabank, Texas
Don't make me get nekkid!... Smell The Bumper... I got my cookies!

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal