Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New Tires - Pros/Cons  (Read 1086 times)

DavidJ

• Master Tejano Rider
New Tires - Pros/Cons
« on: September 10, 2008, 07:43:47 AM »

Hi Gang,

I am in the need, (showing belts), of a new back tire.  I am going to also change the front.  I got my X in April and it had the Avon Venom-R on it when I got it.  Since this is the first time I need to get new tires, I want a little help.

I am looking at replacing with one of the following sets:

Avon Cobra

Avon Venom-R

Metzeler ME880

DLP Link: http://www.directlineparts.com/byProduct.asp?prd=Tires&str=1&ID=877161856

The Avon Cobra and the Metzeler both have a 200/60R 16 and I was wondering what the Pros/Cons of this size tire.  Will I have to change anything on my '02 1800C to use these wider tires.  I would like to hear from those that have used these tires and help me make a desision on which ones to get.  I am not ready for the darkside yet, so let's not go there. :)

Thanks,

David
'02 1800C

POGOGOLF

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Jeff in GA - '02 1800 C
Re: New Tires - Pros/Cons
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2008, 07:57:23 AM »

Hi Gang,

I am in the need, (showing belts), of a new back tire.  I am going to also change the front.  I got my X in April and it had the Avon Venom-R on it when I got it.  Since this is the first time I need to get new tires, I want a little help.

I am looking at replacing with one of the following sets:

Avon Cobra

Avon Venom-R

Metzeler ME880

DLP Link: http://www.directlineparts.com/byProduct.asp?prd=Tires&str=1&ID=877161856

The Avon Cobra and the Metzeler both have a 200/60R 16 and I was wondering what the Pros/Cons of this size tire.  Will I have to change anything on my '02 1800C to use these wider tires.  I would like to hear from those that have used these tires and help me make a desision on which ones to get.  I am not ready for the darkside yet, so let's not go there. :)

Thanks,

David
I, personally like the Avon-R's better than the ME880's; but, heck, I like the Dunnies better than the ME880's, so go figure?! As for the lower profile (60's) tires, I had 'em once and didn't like them nearly as much as the 70's...too much of a vibration and while it might have been peculiarities to the one tire itself, it turned me off of the low profile pretty much forever. JMHO.
Ride Safe!! Jeff in GA <>< I believe in Easter
'02 1800 C model - 57,000 miles and climbing

SouthernXer

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • BRAD Allen, Texas
    • Me playing music
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 08:02:54 AM »

You won't need to do anything to the bike to accomodate the lower profile unless you have change your back suspension to a size shorter than stock.  If you have done that, you will probably want to dremel off the little ears of the bracket on the inside of your fender. I rhave run the ME880 200 60R 16 for approx. 18K miles and haven't experienced and vibration in my bike. 

All of those tire choices are great.

hooter

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • Itasca (just North of Hillsboro on sceanic I-35W)
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2008, 08:42:59 AM »

I love my Avon's. But what ever you decide on give these folks a chance. I've used them several times and the have the best prices I've found and the service has been excellant each time. Compare the prices, I think you'll see what I mean.

http://arizonamoto.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=SWMT&Category_Code=MTCYTIRES
What I do today is very important because
I traded a day of my life for it.

Whatever you want to do, do it now.
  There are only so many tomorrows.

Crewsn

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • leander(austin), texas
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2008, 09:10:30 PM »

if you go with a lower profile tire and your aggressive in the turns, your gonna scrape pegs sooner.
i found this out the hard way and actually scraped my exhaust, not bad but enough to get my attention.
good luck and ride safe.
BTW, i prefer the metz's 880's, got 19K on rear and 22.5K on front. I check the pressure once a week and keep 40 psi front and rear.
03 1800 C, airbox mod, K&N filter, roadhouse shorty.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal