Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Annual Fuel Mileage Fluctuations  (Read 1639 times)

hipshot

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney, TX
Annual Fuel Mileage Fluctuations
« on: September 03, 2008, 03:12:33 PM »

Long ago, when I used to visit VTXOA regularly, I recall some discussions about the time of the year affecting fuel mileage. Several factors were cited, such as cooler air being denser, winter humidities versus summer humidities, winter fuel mixes at fuel retailers, and other factors that I've long since forgotten. Anyway, I recently had one of those sleepless nights where I needed something to occupy my feeble mind. I decided that with over 50,000 miles on my VTX, I could total the mileages driven and fuel used for each calendar month and figure out whether there is any credence to the winter and summer mileage differences (I know, I really need to get a life). Is there a real difference, or is the difference insignificant? Does anybody even care? So, with the understanding that these results apply only to my bike, and yours may be completely different, I'll list the calendar month, total mileage driven during that month, and the average mpg for that month.

January:       3120.8   35.3
February:      2562.8   35.9
March:         3753.6   36.3
April:           3871.4   37.5
May:           5606.6   37.4
June:          4120.0   38.1
July:           5798.9   39.9
August:       4747.8   39.5
September:  4299.9   38.4
October:      4832.3   38.3
November:    4733.6   36.3
December:    2647.7   35.2

So I ranged from a high of 39.9mpg in July to a low of 35.2mpg in December. That's an 11.8% drop (or 13.4% increase) - pretty significant, in my mind. I didn't expect that large a difference. Since this was not a strictly controlled experiment, and it involved only one bike, my numbers may be an anomaly. And since probably very few of you log all of your fuel and mileages, comparisons would be difficult. But if anyone who does log their fuel and mileages cares to check, I'd be interested to know if your results mirror mine. Any profound thoughts out there on the topic?
02 1800C

Luckys Lover

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • My other addiction
Re: Annual Fuel Mileage Fluctuations
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 04:04:47 PM »

PROFOUND thoughts? Sheesh, I'm lucky to have thoughts. I think there are too many variables in your numbers. But I do have two thoughts. Preheated air should vaporize gasoline faster leading to a better burn. (summertime's better mileage?) During the winter months, refiners increase the propane content for better starting during the cold. Which I would have thought would improve gas mileage.

So there ya go. Two contradictory thoughts in one paragraph. Flip a coin.

YMMV. Standard disclaimers as usual. Worth every penny you paid for it.
If stupidity got us into this mess, why can stupidity get us out of it? Will Rogers
I don't care what other people think. They don't do it very often!
Of Course it's dirty. It's hard to clean when the tires keep moving.

RedDragon

• Master of Monumental Proportions
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2008, 06:48:30 PM »

(I know, I really need to get a life).

Not much action at work lately? ??? ;D ;D ;D

2005 VTX 1800C Red Tribal Flame
2005 Yamaha FZ1 Silver

sherri

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • The Woodlands
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008, 10:39:35 PM »

Now if you could just add in the average mph and temperature for each month I for one would be impressed.  ;) I have a theory that I ride faster when it is cold as I want to get where I am going cuz I am freezing my butt off ;D

Sherri

If you ever see me with horns sticking out of my helmet
call an ambulance  .  .  .  .    I’ve hit a deer

POGOGOLF

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Jeff in GA - '02 1800 C
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2008, 04:45:58 AM »

Long ago, when I used to visit VTXOA regularly, I recall some discussions about the time of the year affecting fuel mileage. Several factors were cited, such as cooler air being denser, winter humidities versus summer humidities, winter fuel mixes at fuel retailers, and other factors that I've long since forgotten. Anyway, I recently had one of those sleepless nights where I needed something to occupy my feeble mind. I decided that with over 50,000 miles on my VTX, I could total the mileages driven and fuel used for each calendar month and figure out whether there is any credence to the winter and summer mileage differences (I know, I really need to get a life). Is there a real difference, or is the difference insignificant? Does anybody even care? So, with the understanding that these results apply only to my bike, and yours may be completely different, I'll list the calendar month, total mileage driven during that month, and the average mpg for that month.

January:       3120.8   35.3
February:      2562.8   35.9
March:         3753.6   36.3
April:           3871.4   37.5
May:           5606.6   37.4
June:          4120.0   38.1
July:           5798.9   39.9
August:       4747.8   39.5
September:  4299.9   38.4
October:      4832.3   38.3
November:    4733.6   36.3
December:    2647.7   35.2

So I ranged from a high of 39.9mpg in July to a low of 35.2mpg in December. That's an 11.8% drop (or 13.4% increase) - pretty significant, in my mind. I didn't expect that large a difference. Since this was not a strictly controlled experiment, and it involved only one bike, my numbers may be an anomaly. And since probably very few of you log all of your fuel and mileages, comparisons would be difficult. But if anyone who does log their fuel and mileages cares to check, I'd be interested to know if your results mirror mine. Any profound thoughts out there on the topic?
Dayum, Jim, I am more than impressed with your tracking that!  ::)  O0  As for me, my yellow light usually comes on between 110-125 miles and I stop and fill up.  ;)  :)
Seriously though, I have never noticed a significant enough drop or gain in mpg merely due to changing seasons to cause me to track it. Of my 56-57,000 miles, roughly 65-70% have been 2-up and I consistently range between 34-37 mpg in town and 36-39 on the highway...unless I'm in Colorado running 85 Octane in the mountains where I've seen the mpg top 42 mpg in both our visits out there for the Coloradical.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 04:52:58 AM by POGOGOLF »
Ride Safe!! Jeff in GA <>< I believe in Easter
'02 1800 C model - 57,000 miles and climbing

johnnycheese

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2008, 04:57:35 AM »

Now if you could just add in the average mph and temperature for each month I for one would be impressed.  ;) I have a theory that I ride faster when it is cold as I want to get where I am going cuz I am freezing my butt off ;D

Sherri

Ding...................
we have a winner
Johnnycheese tuning center
512-767-4273
Builder and tuner of the fastest NA bike in Texas

RocknRoll

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Kingwood, TX
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2008, 08:55:08 AM »

Wish I could get the mileage I get in Colorado.  Usually run 35/43 mpg down here.  Get 50 or better in Colorado.

Jim, did you figure the increase(decrease) in mileage ridden?  Just curious.  I too am amazed that you keep such detailed records.  What do they call keeping stuff like that - I forget. (Not)  ;D ;)
Wanna make God laugh?  -  Tell him your plans!

Wanna make God angry?  -  Treat Him with indifference!

hooter

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • Itasca (just North of Hillsboro on sceanic I-35W)
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2008, 10:11:52 AM »

Wish I could get the mileage I get in Colorado.  Usually run 35/43 mpg down here.  Get 50 or better in Colorado.

Pete that's kinda funny you talked about your mileage in Colorado being around 50 mpg. Last year when I went out to Vegas I dropped down to I 10 to go the lower route thru N.M. into Ariz and north to Phoenix and then on up to Las Vegas. All the way thru Texas at generally about 80 I was getting basically 36 to 38 maybe 39 mpg. I filled up in El Paso and started across N.M. with the same results. The first tank I got in N.M., I got 50 mph and decided I must have miss figured. The 2nd tank did the same. I got to Arizona and it fell back to where it was in Texas and I kinda shined it on and forgot about it. In heading back I stopped for gas just inside the N.M. border and I'll be darned, I nailed 50 mpg again. I stopped in Albuquerque for the night at my brother-in-law's house and was explaining to him the way my bike was running (great) and the mileage I couldn't explain. Now he's a old biker that's been around awhile too and he told me that N.M. doesn't put a lot of fuel additives (ethanol for one) in their fuels. My fuel milage stayed 50mpg until I got back into Texas so maybe there's some truth to what he said. Me and Susie leave for Colorado next friday morning for 9 days and when I get back I'll let you know what mileage I get and see if I can find out anything about what they don't do to their gas.
Has anybody else had these results that makes the New Mexico or Colorado area? If so list'um up, I really want to know.
What I do today is very important because
I traded a day of my life for it.

Whatever you want to do, do it now.
  There are only so many tomorrows.

hipshot

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney, TX
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2008, 10:35:42 AM »

Jim, did you figure the increase(decrease) in mileage ridden?  Just curious.  I too am amazed that you keep such detailed records.  What do they call keeping stuff like that - I forget. (Not)  ;D ;)

Pete, I keep a fuel and maintenance log, and do a running total on mileage. It was just adding up the numbers I already had. Things like that result from insomnia.
02 1800C

crow57

• Old Timer
  • Garland
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2008, 11:22:16 PM »

Yep, air density would explain it.  A 100 degree day at sea level is equivalent to a 50 degree day at 2600 feet, air density-wise, and the numbers you show pretty much correspond to the difference I see in west texas around 3500' compared to what I get around Dallas at 600'...

Air density calculator - http://www.denysschen.com/catalogue/density.asp

'05 V-Twin, Xtra large 1800 S

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal