Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Replacing Gas  (Read 2471 times)

SeaRider

• Old Timer
  • College Station, TX
Replacing Gas
« on: August 21, 2008, 03:51:24 AM »

I've been out of the country the last 80 days or so (coming home tomorrow!!!).  However, my 1800 X has been laid up now for almost 90 days with a full tank of gas.  I did not expect to be gone so long, so I did not put any Stabil in the tank before I left.

I've done a search around the sight, but couldn't locate any pertinent threads.  The main question is, Should I drain the old gas out and replace it before running the bike? 

If yes, then is just draining the tank sufficient, or do I need to drain out the fuel pump also? 

If yes, is there a simple procedure to drain the fuel pump?  (I don't have my service manual with me, so I'm asking so I can come up with a plan by the time I get home.)

Any help is greatly appreciated!!
2008 Goldwing Level 4 - Dark Red Metallic
2005 VTX 1800F Spec 1 - Silver Tribal
RIDE SAFE  -  RIDE FREE!!

hooter

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • Itasca (just North of Hillsboro on sceanic I-35W)
Re: Replacing Gas
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 03:58:20 AM »

Naw.  90 Days ain't that long. You should have no problems at all.
What I do today is very important because
I traded a day of my life for it.

Whatever you want to do, do it now.
  There are only so many tomorrows.

Morgan Buchanan

• Texas X Rider OverLord
    • Fantastic Opportunity!  Look and ask me about it!
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 04:31:08 AM »

Yeah, look at the guys in the north.... some of them put their bikes up in October and don't ride until April or May.  Certainly they usually use Stabil or whatever...  you might want to add some sea foam or something, just to clean it up... but it will likley turn over without issue.
My now long gone VTX...

Dusty

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 04:43:12 AM »

Yeah, look at the guys in the north.... some of them put their bikes up in October and don't ride until April or May.  Certainly they usually use Stabil or whatever...  you might want to add some sea foam or something, just to clean it up... but it will likley turn over without issue.

+ 1 on the sea foam. I would be concerned about the battery.

SeaRider

• Old Timer
  • College Station, TX
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008, 06:12:47 AM »

I'm not worried about the battery.  If it is down, I'll put the tender on it. 

Sounds like I shouldn't have any problem.  I've seen folks talking about Sea Foam on the 1300's, but wasn't sure if it was OK for the fuel injected 1800's.
2008 Goldwing Level 4 - Dark Red Metallic
2005 VTX 1800F Spec 1 - Silver Tribal
RIDE SAFE  -  RIDE FREE!!

Morgan Buchanan

• Texas X Rider OverLord
    • Fantastic Opportunity!  Look and ask me about it!
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2008, 06:53:37 AM »

it sure is.
My now long gone VTX...

elvis441

• Old Timer
  • '06 VTX1800F Spec 2 Dark Red
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2008, 07:43:18 AM »

That fact that you have an 1800 should minimize some issues since they are EFI not carbed.

hooter

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2008, 09:23:01 AM »

Sea Foam --  I'm not a big believer in fuel and oil additives but this does seem to help a little. I use it ( about 6 oz. ) twice a year just to help keep the injector cleaned up from some of the crappy gas I get to use from this small town. If Im going somewhere, say Dallas from here, and I'm going to be on the road for an extended period of time, I like to put it in the night before when I fillup. By the time I get back and it seems to have helped the overall fuel mileage preformance somewhat and some in the general smoothness of the motor in the following tank fulls that lasts for about 4 to 5 months. I ride my 1800 everyday to and from work (70 miles) and if I leave the house anyother time I have my a$$ posted in that seat, in other words, this is my main means of transportation since the price of diesel went up to astronomical prices. Now for the down side. It does seem to shorten the life of your plugs. This is just my opinion or maybe my imagination but I didn't seem to get the mileage out of my last 2 sets of plugs. Now I did change to the Bosch 4418's before I started doing this and both sets I've had seemed to be carbon and lightly oil fouled after 6 to 8 thousand miles. As most of us know, that tells me that the plugs are too cold for this motor so I'll change back to NGK's just after I do it again and try that for a few thousand. I guess what I'm trying to say is, if you do this Sea Foam trick then have you a spare set of new plugs around to put in after a couple of hundred miles.

Luckys Lover

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • My other addiction
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2008, 12:27:58 PM »

When I got my Vulcan 750, it would rev up its idle after it was warmed up. Couldn't figure that one out at all. But after riding it for about 25 miles or so, it would suddenly idle at 2500 rpm instead of its normal 1000rpm. I kept putting seafoam in it every time I'd get gas (like once a day when we were living at the house.) It has finally settled down and no longer gives me trouble like that. I'll admit it's a carbeurated engine and not fuel injected like my 1800 but it's a testimonial I'll stand by.  O0 Ask Lucky about it.  :P I dribble some seafoam into the 1800 whenever I think of it. But at 11 miles round trip to work, it does take a while to use up a tank of gas.
If stupidity got us into this mess, why can stupidity get us out of it? Will Rogers
I don't care what other people think. They don't do it very often!
Of Course it's dirty. It's hard to clean when the tires keep moving.

Lucky

• Board
  • Elvis
  • Canyon Lake, TX
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2008, 01:14:26 PM »

Yep, one time when we pulled the carbs on my old bike the jets were a little gummed up.  We soaked them in SeaFoam and they came out clean as a whistle.  We have both faithfully used SeaFoam in our tanks (EFI and carb) for years and it has done good by us.
"Lucky" Connie
'06 Pearl Dark Blue 1300C
If you don't love what you're doing, then don't do it.
Your chances of success are directly proportional to the degree of pleasure you derive from what you do.

hipshot

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney, TX
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2008, 01:44:13 PM »

Sea Foam --  I'm not a big believer in fuel and oil additives but this does seem to help a little. I use it ( about 6 oz. ) twice a year just to help keep the injector cleaned up from some of the crappy gas I get to use from this small town. If Im going somewhere, say Dallas from here, and I'm going to be on the road for an extended period of time, I like to put it in the night before when I fillup. By the time I get back and it seems to have helped the overall fuel mileage preformance somewhat and some in the general smoothness of the motor in the following tank fulls that lasts for about 4 to 5 months. I ride my 1800 everyday to and from work (70 miles) and if I leave the house anyother time I have my a$$ posted in that seat, in other words, this is my main means of transportation since the price of diesel went up to astronomical prices. Now for the down side. It does seem to shorten the life of your plugs. This is just my opinion or maybe my imagination but I didn't seem to get the mileage out of my last 2 sets of plugs. Now I did change to the Bosch 4418's before I started doing this and both sets I've had seemed to be carbon and lightly oil fouled after 6 to 8 thousand miles. As most of us know, that tells me that the plugs are too cold for this motor so I'll change back to NGK's just after I do it again and try that for a few thousand. I guess what I'm trying to say is, if you do this Sea Foam trick then have you a spare set of new plugs around to put in after a couple of hundred miles.

Al, try the 4419s.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 01:47:38 PM by hipshot »
02 1800C

hooter

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2008, 01:48:41 PM »

Al, try the 4419s.

It calls for 4418's for my 02 model. You think the 4419's will run hotter?

hipshot

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney, TX
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2008, 01:49:09 PM »

Sea Foam or Techron Fuel System Cleaner -- they're both good.
02 1800C

hipshot

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney, TX
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2008, 01:53:43 PM »

Al, try the 4419s.

It calls for 4418's for my 02 model. You think the 4419's will run hotter?

They're one step hotter. Most of us with 02s run the 4419s. For 03 Honda upped the heat range for the VTX plugs because of fouling issues. You'll notice that for all of the different brands of plugs Honda recommends for the VTX (the 1800 was the only model for 02), they went up one step on the heat range for 03. I've been running 4419s since 02 in mine.
02 1800C

hooter

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2008, 01:58:43 PM »

I'll give those a shot. I just put a set of 18's in not a 1,000 miles back and am fixing to make a run to Colorado in a couple of weeks so will order some 19's for the trip and see how they run. Thanks Jim
Al

Pages: [1] 2

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal