Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Anyone use a CPAP machine?  (Read 4546 times)

Dusty

Anyone use a CPAP machine?
« on: August 14, 2008, 05:44:06 AM »

To make this motorcycle related, I'm gonna lie and say I fell asleep while riding.  ::)

Actually, I've done the sleep study a few weeks back. Got a call/message yesterday from the Dr's. office saying I needed to make an appointment. (the results must have come in) A few hours later, I get a call from a medical supply store asking how I wanted to pay for the CPAP machine.  :-\ By the time the call ended the little lights in my head had gone from yellow to bright red. The nice lady quoted me almost $1,300 for the machine. I told her that I thought I would see the Dr. first then get back to her. I didn't tell her that I just spent $700 on GPS for my bike and didn't have money to waste on breathing.  :D

I just looked online and can get the whole enchilada for about $500 with a prescription.

Anyone got experience with these machines? Your input would be greatly appreciated and I will dance at your next wedding for free!  ;D O0 ;D

Bill

BobB

• Old Timer
  • Cypress, TX
Re: Anyone use a CPAP machine?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 06:19:28 AM »

I have one I'll sell you for $250.  I used it only a couple of times and could not sleep with it on.

hipshot

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney, TX
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008, 06:39:39 AM »

Call me.
02 1800C

wwaggett

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Clear Lake, Texas Always busy doing nothing at all
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 08:40:40 AM »

I use mine every night. They are a pain in the a$$ to get used to, but I would like to live. When I did my sleep study, I stopped breathing for 22 seconds while I was sleeping. I sleep ok with it now and it keeps me from snoring also. My wife does not like the noise the machine makes so she wears earplugs at night.

tejasx

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2008, 08:44:07 AM »

I have one I'll sell you for $250.  I used it only a couple of times and could not sleep with it on.

You may want to check the legality of selling one of these machines, since they are a prescription.  I have one that my doc ordered by mistake and the insurance company would not send it back becuase of being a script.  My wife's doc was recommending she use one and we asked if she could use mine and they quickly said NO.

bci21984

• Rider
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2008, 08:59:37 AM »

as a former respiratory therapist turned LEO,  i used to work in the home oxygen/healthcare industry.  the two best companies if you need a machine or equipment, and or accesories.  pacific pulmonary (my old company) and lincare (competition but good folks).  im pretty sure there is a pacific pulmorary officer (or two) in every large city area in texas, they are based out of california.  and every employee from secretary to the equipment tech is sent to a two week training conference in fresno.  everyone is very knowledgeable.

pacrat

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Cypress,Texas
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2008, 10:18:05 AM »

CPAP'S SUCK!  NEVER COULD GET USED TO MINE!  >:(  Just my opinion, others swear by them.

JustinVTX

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2008, 11:25:05 AM »

The machine is set to a certain pressure for the user.  If you need it set on 9, and your friend gives you one set for a 4, it will not work for you.  They have a credit card sized memory card, and your settings are programmed into it.  They do take some getting used too, but they will help you live thru the night!

Justin VTX

Dusty

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2008, 02:33:18 PM »

Thanks for the responses.  O0 When I posted, I figured this was already a dead thread. Some good info given here.

Wonder how they determined what to set the machine on during the study? When they strapped it on me during the study, I was already aggravated from all the electrodes and wires, couldn't believe I really went to sleep with all that on. Then when they woke me up to put the mask on I said there was no way in hell I was gonna get back to sleep. Of coarse I had my mind made up when I went in that it wasn't gonna work. But I did go back to sleep and I did feel like I slept a little better with the forced air. I think I could handle it better without all those dang wires.

I'll call you later this afternoon Hipshot.  O0

Thanks again for all the input

Lone_Wolfe

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Seattle, WA
    • My Cycle Travels
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2008, 08:48:47 PM »

Not to be a Doomsayer, but back up in Canada my buddy and SCRC Captain died of sleep apnea at the age of 45.
Came home one evening after working a late shift and fell asleep sitting in his favorite chair.
Never woke up.

Sleep apnea is common disorder in many people. And many of them don't know they have it.
Be careful and listen to your Doctor and nothing to worry about.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 08:52:47 PM by Lone_Wolfe »

xdudly

• Trailer Queen
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2008, 09:11:20 PM »

I.ve had to use one for a year or so.I like it but I toss and turn alot and the hose gets woundup.It has help me cause I sleep better and my wife says I don't snore or stop breathing anymore.I had to pay $700 for mine but its worth it.GoodLuck with yours. 8)

POGOGOLF

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Jeff in GA - '02 1800 C
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2008, 01:59:20 AM »

You may want to check the legality of selling one of these machines, since they are a prescription.  I have one that my doc ordered by mistake and the insurance company would not send it back becuase of being a script.  My wife's doc was recommending she use one and we asked if she could use mine and they quickly said NO.
While I understand the "legality" question you raise, I, personally, don't see it very differently than someone being "prescribed" crutches, a wheel chair, or any other device (versus medicine...I do see that differently from this type thing), I own it, I can, therefore, sell it/give it away/throw it away,etc. when I am through with it. That being said, I, too, would insure it's set to the proper and prescribed level of airflow that my doctor suggests. JMHO.
Ride Safe!! Jeff in GA <>< I believe in Easter
'02 1800 C model - 57,000 miles and climbing

Dusty

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2008, 04:01:11 AM »

While I understand the "legality" question you raise, I, personally, don't see it very differently than someone being "prescribed" crutches, a wheel chair, or any other device (versus medicine...I do see that differently from this type thing), I own it, I can, therefore, sell it/give it away/throw it away,etc. when I am through with it. That being said, I, too, would insure it's set to the proper and prescribed level of airflow that my doctor suggests. JMHO.

Jeff, this is Texas, nothings illegal unless you get caught.  ;)  And of course, this is America where all good ideas are only implemented after someone figures out how to make a buck and corner the market. The sleep study centers are owned by doctors who write the scripts. I'm sure they were instrumental in getting the legislation passed to make it illegal to buy one without a script.
Who and where are the CPAP police? Is it a felony to own one without a script? Do they register it with the feds. when I make the purchase? Do I have to have a permit to travel with it? I guess a person could blow thier lungs out of thier chest cavity if they weren't careful. I would think that the hoses are more dangerous than the machine. If I strangle myself in my sleep with the hose, did I die from sleep apnea or from strangulation? I'm sure that will depend on who pays the coroner the most $$$$. Can my family sue the Dr. and mfg.? Of coarse not, I misused the machine.

TGIF

Give me a month or two and I'll have me one made from a fish tank aerator.  ;D

GhostRider18

• Trailer Queen
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2008, 04:33:11 PM »

Check out this forum, more info than you'll ever need: www.apneasupport.org

vtxcajun

• Trailer Queen
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2008, 05:43:03 PM »

I've had mine for 7 years, and I got use to it very quickly. It was a pain to carry around if traveling,
I looked around for the smallest one, as a traveling one, it is a "Goodnight" its not much larger than
the palm of my hand. Great size for traveling on the bike.
You must have it set per the Dr order.  Good luck, Before CPAP I would fall asleep as soon as I hit the
chair, now I rarely ever nap, and my rib cage feels much better now that my wife quit punching it at night.
Pages: [1] 2

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal