Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Darkside  (Read 2064 times)

redfrog

• Rider
  • 2004 VTX 1800 Neo
Darkside
« on: August 11, 2008, 07:24:09 AM »

Hey folks..I was wondering if anyone know of a shop in San Antonio, that would put on a car
tire so I can go over to the Darkside...I like cookies..lol..I ride between New Braunfles and Austin everyday put around 30K on the scoot a year and the Metz's and such are way to high for that kinda mileage. I've burned through my 2nd rear tire in a year. The darn side still has chicken strips on it cause I don't get much time in the curves..lol

jdugie123

• Tejano
Re: Darkside
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 07:42:59 AM »

if you take the wheel off the bike yourself you can go to any truck shop that can do mag wheels or you can go to the yamaha dealer right outside of town i have a friend that works there and he said they will put them on just don't tell the guys at the front desk its a car tire.

redfrog

• Rider
  • 2004 VTX 1800 Neo
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 08:47:58 AM »

Well I did it...Went to the DArkside and as of now I am never going back...I got 300 miles on my Goodyear Eagle GT-HR  P205/60R-16...It's a different feel at first but again I'll never go back to a M/C tire. The biggest problem I had was I had to let the air out to install it on the Neo. Oh and I spent 30 min. looking for my air chuck...lol..I have it a 39psi but I think I'll up it a bit. I have noticed 2 things that are very cool.
1. When I stop I don't have that weird balancing thing going on. Even as big as I am it still felt like it wanted to fall over. Now it sits steady as a rock.
2. When I am just creeping along in heavy traffic it seems to be much steadier then before.
I got the the GT because of the price. I didn't want to spend a ton of money and find out later I didn't like it. But it looks like I am hooked.
And yes I know No Pic's it didn't happen..And I'll remedy soon.

twistedrcpilot

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Montgomery Tx. /Lake Conroe TX
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 10:14:33 AM »

Congrats, I'll never go back either. 

*Closet Darksider*

Morgan Buchanan

• Texas X Rider OverLord
    • Fantastic Opportunity!  Look and ask me about it!
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008, 08:41:14 PM »

"never going back..."  Man if I had a nickle every time I heard that... LOL
My now long gone VTX...

redfrog

• Rider
  • 2004 VTX 1800 Neo
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 05:53:36 AM »

Okay..maybe I should say I probley won't go back..lol

Morgan Buchanan

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 08:06:50 AM »

No, I mean I really just want a nickle for every time I've heard that.  Nearly everyone who tries it says that.  Darkside is awesome.  :)
My now long gone VTX...

hooter

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • Itasca (just North of Hillsboro on sceanic I-35W)
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2008, 08:12:56 AM »

Well I'm going back.......... O0 O0
I've been there and I still don't like it. If I lived in the city or rode nothing but good-n-flat roads it might be OK but I don't. I have to run a lot of FM roads that are pretty bad because of the oil trucks (water haulers) that have destroyed our roads down here. All I've heard is give it sometime and you'll get used to it. Well after 1800 plus miles, I'm still not happy and really tired of having to put a death grip on my handle bars on these roads because you don't know which way it's going to throw you. I feel pretty sure some of you West Texas boys have simular roads around you and can understand what I mean. When I ride I enjoy the feeling of being able to anticipate what my bike is going to do and feeling secure in it's reactions in corners and even on a flat road for that matter. I don't care if I only get 15 to 16 thousand compaired to 40 plus out of my rear tire. I'll spend the money to be able to enjoy riding again, So... I'm going back.   O0 O0
What I do today is very important because
I traded a day of my life for it.

Whatever you want to do, do it now.
  There are only so many tomorrows.

jdugie123

• Tejano
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2008, 08:45:16 AM »

i love my tire i won't go back and yes i ride on FM roads also and they are doing a lot of construction around me also so that makes things worse but i like not having to worry it i am going to have traction or not

hooter

• Itasca (just North of Hillsboro on sceanic I-35W)
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2008, 09:30:41 AM »

Traction... I can spin this car tire on a dry or wet road alot easier than I could my Avons. When your hard into a corner and start getting back into the throttle and the a$$ end starts out from under ya, something my Avon's on the same corners, same or even a little higher speed never did. Traction.... never entered the equation because between Dunnie's, Metzler's, and so on, they all have different traction characteristics and handle a little different. My post was about the instability of the bike on different road surfaces, So I guess it's to each their own little brother.  O0
What I do today is very important because
I traded a day of my life for it.

Whatever you want to do, do it now.
  There are only so many tomorrows.

hobo

• Board
  • Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Cedar Creek Lake
    • westcherry.com
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2008, 10:34:24 AM »

I have to agree that uneven road surfaces are the bane of a darksider. After 30K+ miles on my car tire it shows some wear, but I can get at least another 10K miles on it. For me it's neccessary as I travel many miles per day on the highway to work and back, (80 miles each way). I've gotten used to the differences, but I have to admit that I miss having a motorcycle tire on the back. I've been thinking of getting another wheel and changing out when I'm taking trips on the bike. Especially as much as I love to ride the hill country.

On my way back from Houston yesterday I noticed that I had 59,000 miles on my bike... O0

My 2003 1800C lives at the shores of Cedar Creek Lake in Mabank, Texas
Don't make me get nekkid!... Smell The Bumper... I got my cookies!

snake

• What a ride it's been!
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2008, 10:36:03 AM »

Welcome back Hoot! I knew you couldn't stay on the other side! LOL ;D
:ohwow: signed: A reality-challenged left wingnut!
     420! Yeah, baby!

snake

• What a ride it's been!
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2008, 10:38:08 AM »

Good to hear you're still with us Hobo...was wondering where you got off to... ;D
:ohwow: signed: A reality-challenged left wingnut!
     420! Yeah, baby!

redfrog

• Rider
  • 2004 VTX 1800 Neo
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2008, 11:49:04 AM »

I gotta say I don't have the miles ya'll have but I can't afford $175 to $200 a pop every couple of months. And I'm sure it can be found cheaper but still 12000 miles in 6 months is just not enough for me. When we pulled the Metz off it had a 1" wide strip in the center that was wore out. I never even got into the wear bars. If you looked at the side of the tire you would have thought it was brand new. Maybe I had it over inflated I don't know. But all but 300 miles of that was I35 between New Braunfels and Austin. I won't be driving the Sisters anytime soon so the M/C tire will have to wait. I too had thought about getting an extra rim and put a Metz or Avon on it  in case I get some free time to ride the Hill Country. But for now I am pretty happy.
But as with anything YMMV

Morgan Buchanan

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2008, 03:09:47 PM »

No doubt about it, not everyone likes it.  Hooter, for my info, what tire did you use?  I'm curious about what tires people used when they turn away from the darkside... 
My now long gone VTX...
Pages: [1] 2

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal