Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Brisket Advice?  (Read 2396 times)

jmdaniel

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • My other toy, '77 FJ40...
Brisket Advice?
« on: August 07, 2008, 09:52:52 PM »

From the looks of some of youse guys, you're not strangers to a good BBQ! I bought a new Weber Smoky Mountain this week, and, as we have some company in town this weekend, am thinking about firing up some brisket and a couple of chickens on Sunday. Any good advice on tactics and techniques, rub recipes, etc.?  ???
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
-- Unknown

2016 Honda F6B Deluxe
2007 Yamaha FJR1300A
2003 Honda VTX 1300

sherri

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • The Woodlands
Re: Brisket Advice?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 09:59:07 PM »

Marinate overnite with beer and Tony Chachere's, then cook with whatever rub or sauce you want. The beer tenderizes it and Tony's adds flavor.

Sherri

If you ever see me with horns sticking out of my helmet
call an ambulance  .  .  .  .    I’ve hit a deer

murray_61

• Board
  • Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Hobe Sound, FL
    • facebook
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 10:28:38 PM »

Throw a TarterSauce load of liquid smoke in with that marinade...

at the end, for the last hour or so wrap it in saran wrap and then tin foil....  don't worry, the saran wrap won't melt, and the brisket slides right out of it.  This makes it juicy, gets the flavors to soak into the meat real well. 

I'd tell you a recipe for an awesome marinade, but I'd have to call my father to remember, and he'd have me hung if I were to give it out...   :-\

If I can't remember I just grab all the usual stuff out of the cabinet, and put portions in a mixing bowl, throw in some curry, sugar, and especially cavender's seasoning, and Bill's Season All if you can find it (made in San Saba).

Can't remember cooking times, it's usually just a feeling you get that you need to go do something to the brisket, but it involves wrapping and unwrapping at various times, and flipping as well, (in a smoker probably unwrapped til the end, see above).

And don't forget to beat your meat first...   :o :o :o  Then rub all the stuff in real good.

just my .02

BobB

• Old Timer
  • Cypress, TX
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 06:18:08 AM »

I think it is important to leave the fat on the brisket and cook slow 180 degrees for about 15 hours with the fat side up.  This keeps them from getting dry.  Chickens do well when you set them on a half can of beer. O0 O0

vernjoe

• Old Timer
  • Friendswood, Tx
    • Faythjo Productions
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2008, 06:35:44 AM »

I like to season my brisket with a dry rub of choice and then put it in a plastic trash bag with a bottle of Italian dressing and let that marinade for at least 8 hours.  Then cook (I smoke mine with indirect heat) for 8 hours fat side up.  After 8 hours I will wrap in foil and then continue to cook until internal temp reaches 185-190.

Another method that works pretty good is to slather the brisket with mustard and then season with a dry rub and cook. 

Some people like to add either beer or dr. pepper to their brisket when foiling them.

The key in my opinion is to start off with a good choice of meat and for that you will have to do a search on how to pick a good brisket........there are plenty of tricks to preparing a brisket just depends on which route you wanna go.

GOOD LUCK
'02 C with a few extras

POGOGOLF

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Jeff in GA - '02 1800 C
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2008, 06:44:30 AM »

I like to season my brisket with a dry rub of choice and then put it in a plastic trash bag with a bottle of Italian dressing and let that marinade for at least 8 hours.  Then cook (I smoke mine with indirect heat) for 8 hours fat side up.  After 8 hours I will wrap in foil and then continue to cook until internal temp reaches 185-190.

Another method that works pretty good is to slather the brisket with mustard and then season with a dry rub and cook. 

Some people like to add either beer or dr. pepper to their brisket when foiling them.

The key in my opinion is to start off with a good choice of meat and for that you will have to do a search on how to pick a good brisket........there are plenty of tricks to preparing a brisket just depends on which route you wanna go.

GOOD LUCK
BINGO!!! O0
Ride Safe!! Jeff in GA <>< I believe in Easter
'02 1800 C model - 57,000 miles and climbing

RedDragon

• Master of Monumental Proportions
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2008, 06:47:57 AM »

In my opinion, that type of smoker is not ideal for cooking brisket. It will cook chickens very well though. It looks to me that it would be a pretty small brisket, or you would have to cut it in half. Also, your water pan turns into a oil catcher. As for a rub, sometimes I use this:

1/2 cup paprika
1/4 cup black pepper, coarsly ground
3 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons canning salt
2 tablespoons onion powder
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon ground red pepper

Or Adams Brisket Rub

I usually smoke till almost black at 250 with mesquite or oak. Then wrap in foil and finish cooking until tender as you like. Always cooking with the fat side up. Also when you pick a brisket, make sure you can grab it and fold it to touch both ends. You will be getting a leaner brisket this way.

2005 VTX 1800C Red Tribal Flame
2005 Yamaha FZ1 Silver

WILD E

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2008, 07:22:23 AM »

I have the Weber Smoky Mountainas square up right gas type smoker with a water pan. This cooks a little different that the charcoal type. I just do a dry rub type seasoning and use peach or pecan wood to give the meat a sweeter tast. ,  For the water pan I use 1 quart of water, one beer and one or two apples cut in 4 pcs Smoke the brisket fat side up or chicken skin side up for about 1-1/2 to 2 hours  @ 200 –250 and then wrap the brisket or chicken halves in foil & cook brisket for 4-6  hours depending on the size  and chicken halves for 2 more hours @ 200-250 . All pits / smokers cook a little different . O0
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 07:34:06 AM by WILD E »
03 1800 VTX RS BLACK
New Braunfels

vernjoe

• Old Timer
  • Friendswood, Tx
    • Faythjo Productions
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2008, 08:23:53 AM »

Man this sounds like the start of a biker cook of ;D ;D ;D ;D.....now if i could only make it....
'02 C with a few extras

jmdaniel

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • My other toy, '77 FJ40...
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2008, 08:25:29 AM »

Man this sounds like the start of a biker cook of ;D ;D ;D ;D.....now if i could only make it....

I have my money on Pogogolf....
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
-- Unknown

2016 Honda F6B Deluxe
2007 Yamaha FJR1300A
2003 Honda VTX 1300

VTreX

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Rubythroatedhumming VT-reX Temple TX
    • http://www.patriotguard.org/photos/listpics.asp?a=show&ID=395
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2008, 08:44:10 AM »

Pogogolf That is just about what I do. My last step is to use gloves to turn the meat over the hot end of the pit and let the fat smoke go on the meat.. The End
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 11:23:54 AM by VTreX »
03-C U-green It is neither those in the round nor the square that reach the top, but those in the spiral.... Now have added a red ''07 Gold Wing with everything except an AIRBAG!!  SOLD THE WING  SAD DAY!!

Lucky

• Board
  • Elvis
  • Canyon Lake, TX
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2008, 09:12:06 AM »

And don't forget to beat your meat first...   :o :o :o  Then rub all the stuff in real good.

::)Thanks but I think I will pass on eating at your house  ::)
"Lucky" Connie
'06 Pearl Dark Blue 1300C
If you don't love what you're doing, then don't do it.
Your chances of success are directly proportional to the degree of pleasure you derive from what you do.

j1mmyj4m

• The Shocker
  • Administrator
  • Master of Monumental Proportions
  • Deer Park, Tx
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2008, 09:13:29 AM »

hahaha
Chunk the llama.

sherri

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • The Woodlands
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2008, 09:52:07 AM »

In my opinion, that type of smoker is not ideal for cooking brisket. It will cook chickens very well though. It looks to me that it would be a pretty small brisket, or you would have to cut it in half. Also, your water pan turns into a oil catcher. As for a rub, sometimes I use this:

1/2 cup paprika
1/4 cup black pepper, coarsly ground
3 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons canning salt
2 tablespoons onion powder
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon ground red pepper

Or Adams Brisket Rub

I usually smoke till almost black at 250 with mesquite or oak. Then wrap in foil and finish cooking until tender as you like. Always cooking with the fat side up. Also when you pick a brisket, make sure you can grab it and fold it to touch both ends. You will be getting a leaner brisket this way.

I have had Davids brisket before it is Awesome. If this is his recipe and technique that he uses I'd go with it. O0

Anyone who has had his steaks in Gavleston at LSR can testify to his bbq abilities.

Sherri

If you ever see me with horns sticking out of my helmet
call an ambulance  .  .  .  .    I’ve hit a deer

murray_61

• Board
  • Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Hobe Sound, FL
    • facebook
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2008, 11:59:17 AM »

::)Thanks but I think I will pass on eating at your house  ::)

What, why?   :-\ :-\ :-\

Get your mind out of the gutter, I meant the brisket!   ;D ;D ;D

Although, maybe that is a good idea so that you are relaxed and in a good frame of mind to BBQ!   ;D ;D ;D

This is still safe for work right?
Pages: [1] 2

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal