Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: front wheel advice... completed  (Read 2199 times)

Morgan Buchanan

• Texas X Rider OverLord
    • Fantastic Opportunity!  Look and ask me about it!
front wheel advice... completed
« on: August 07, 2008, 10:36:53 AM »

So I got too good a deal to pass up on the VTXOA on a chromed front wheel.  It's coming with an avon tire that has less than 1000 miles on it so I won't have to change the tire.  But I'll need to strip everything else off my stock wheel and reinstall it.  I have the stock rim sold already, so I want to have everything in order so when I get the chromed rim, I can make the swap quickly and efficiently so I can turn the stock rim around and send it out the door.  Do I need anything special?  Is it hard?  Is there any trick to putting the rotors back on?  Do I need to order anything to have it ready?  No detail to small or unimportant, don't assume I know much of anything.  LOL

Oh..the tire on my stock rim is still really really good and I'm going to pull it off and keep it, and it'll go back on when the Avon burns off.  Is that achievable without special tools or would I be smarter to just bring it to Griffs Cycles and have them dismount it for a couple bucks?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 05:06:55 PM by Morgan Buchanan »
My now long gone VTX...

twistedrcpilot

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Montgomery Tx. /Lake Conroe TX
Re: front wheel advice... pretty well everything
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 12:02:54 PM »

All that front wheel stuff is easy.  You'll need a good jack or stand.  I would get a heavy guage copper wire to hang the calipers so that there is no stress on the lines or scratch your fender. I learned that one the hard way.  On the little chrome caps on the bottom of the forks, the snap off with a small screwdriver. The are no thicker than a dime and are easily lost.

All you have left is to chrome your tins and your spark plugs.

*Closet Darksider*

Morgan Buchanan

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 12:48:01 PM »

oh please.. rear wheel, swing arm, forks, trees, controls.... LOTS left to chrome.
My now long gone VTX...

Chad

• Board
  • Elvis
  • M G, TX.
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2008, 01:05:57 PM »

Morgan is all the guts to the chrome rim there?? (Bearings) That is the hardest part to the rim is the bearings, getting old ones out and new ones in. If all is there and in good shape the front rim is real easy. One thing that I found to work really well is finding a bolt the size of the hex bolt on the front rim. Use the top of the bolt like a tool. If don't have one just loosen one side of the fork ends, then loosen the shaft bolt.  Good luck!!  ;D
Member since 2004
RIP Torque Dec.18,1975-Apr.29,2009

Morgan Buchanan

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2008, 01:18:25 PM »

I never thought to ask, figured I'd have everything I needed on mine...  but since it's got a tire on it, I'd GUESS the bearings will be there...heck, it might be a complete wheel, because it won't fit any bike he's got now.  Guess I'll ask.  LOL
My now long gone VTX...

Morgan Buchanan

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2008, 03:22:26 AM »

"Bearings are in it and relatively new, yes on the stem no rotors."

So....  is there anything special to the swap of rotors?  Anything I should ask about the bearings?  Any other parts I need to know about?  Any special grease or lube or crush-parts or anything I need to get?
My now long gone VTX...

Xwrecker

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2008, 06:17:18 AM »

If it was me... I would replace the bearings. Cheap insurance on a part you know little about, and being off the bike they are right there.  O0

Morgan Buchanan

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2008, 07:53:09 AM »

http://directlineparts.com/product.asp?pid=7655&str=1&ID=337645122  if I wanted to replace the bearings, would this be all I'd need?
My now long gone VTX...

Chad

• Board
  • Elvis
  • M G, TX.
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2008, 10:33:22 AM »

There are only two bearings in the front!! You can get them from
www.purvisbearing.com <<< they have local stores and this is all they do ( Bearings) Will be faster and some what cheaper than HDL. Good grade bearings!! Just get the numbers off the front of the bearing and they can match it up if your going to change them. Just need torque wrench when you put back on the rotors and wheel shaft bolt!!
Member since 2004

da032

• Old Timer
  • McKinney, TX
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2008, 04:22:41 PM »

The bearings are you need to buy.  You will need to have your old bearing removed from the old wheel so you can get the crush tube taken out and installed in the new one.

Morgan Buchanan

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2008, 10:02:21 PM »

After talking more to the guy I bought the wheel from, I'm going to give the bearings an inspection, but I believe them to be just fine.

DA, you said I have to take out the "crush tubes"....  aren't "crush" parts generally technically 1 installation items?  Just asking,  as I know nothing about it.
My now long gone VTX...

Chad

• Board
  • Elvis
  • M G, TX.
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2008, 10:15:34 PM »

If the guy selling you the rim has all the guts in it the crush tube will still be in there!! Take a look at a workshop manual, it has a blow out picture of what the front wheel looks like!  ;D
Member since 2004

da032

• Old Timer
  • McKinney, TX
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2008, 12:18:30 AM »

The name crush is kinda misleading.  It is metal tube that the axle run through that keeps the bearing from moving inward or distorting during loading.  When I got my new chrome wheel it did not have any of the guts in it so I disassembled the old one, threw my old bearings away and put the crush tube from my old wheel into the new one.  The crush tube will prob last as long as your wheel.

Morgan Buchanan

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2008, 06:58:25 AM »

Got it.  :)  I saw what the part was in the diagram, just thought that the term "crush" was usually used for 1 shot items.
My now long gone VTX...

Morgan Buchanan

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2008, 02:50:31 PM »

Ok... I got the wheel.  First, it seems the bearings are fine.  2nd... that tube that's in between the bearings... is it supposed to be "hard" in there or is it floating a little bit behind the bearings not a big deal, and when the axel goes it, it'll be fine?  It's not moving a LOT back inside there, but it does move.  I have a little time, the guy I'm selling my wheel to doesn't meed it for a couple weeks.
My now long gone VTX...
Pages: [1] 2

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal