Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Rider Down....Prayers Needed  (Read 2214 times)

tx1300vtx

• Old Timer
Rider Down....Prayers Needed
« on: July 30, 2008, 04:41:31 PM »

Last night after dinner a good friend of mine was on his way home and on a 2 lane state highway speeding when a van pulled right out in front of him. My friend broadsided them right behind the drivers door and the bike went half way through the side of the van and had him half ejected out of the other side of the van. He died on impact they said. Of the 3 people in the van, the one where the impact occured died this morning, 1 other is in critical condition and 1 is stable. Please pray for the families involved. My friend was only 23 years old, didn't drink, and was full of life. He was a joy to be around and he will be missed by many....

Please ride safe and be smart. You don't have to just watch yourself but everyone else on the road as well...

tom cat

• Texas X Rider OverLord
Re: Rider Down....Prayers Needed
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 04:56:18 PM »

Prayers sent.

jmdaniel

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • My other toy, '77 FJ40...
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 06:05:43 PM »

Holy crap! I couldn't figure out what happened, from looking at that pic. Thanks for the reminder to always be alert, and my heart goes out to those who lost their lives.

I was in Central Wisconsin on Sunday morning, heading back to the Twin Cities, when my buddy and I came across this crash.

A man and woman were out on their Harley, when a fawn ran out in front of them. We came upon the scene about 5 minutes after it happened, with the woman clutching a newspaper to her head, which was cut pretty bad, and the guy laying on his side, pretty skinned up, and complaining of pain in his left rib area. We helped as much as we could, until the two ambulances showed up. Strangest thing was that one of them was wearing a helmet, which was in the ditch next to them, with a big scrape on the side. The other helmet can be seen strapped to the backrest on the Harley. Notice how scraped up it is; reminds me of AMS Medic's lid. The riders kind of were doing the right thing, in that one of them had a helmet on, and the both had leather jackets on, (the guy's was ground off to the liner in the chest area). And at the same time, they weren't doing the right thing, in that one of them wasn't wearing a helmet, and the guy has sandals on, (or at least one, the other I picked up off the road, back by where the dead deer was laying). I know that I have done the T-shirt thing from time to time, but safety equipment has its place, and you never have the time to put it on while you are crashing.

Be safe out there, brothers and sisters!  O0
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
-- Unknown

2016 Honda F6B Deluxe
2007 Yamaha FJR1300A
2003 Honda VTX 1300

tx1300vtx

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 06:15:24 PM »

I just found out that my friend had dreams of himself dying the past 2 nights before the crash. He even went as far as to tell someone he saw his cousin and best friend who are already dead on monday night while he was sleeping. He told another friend on tuesday he thought that he might die since it had happened a couplke nights in a row. Scary premonition...only to come true that day... I'm speechless at this whole situation....
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 06:19:20 PM by tx1300vtx »

xcaliber

• Board
  • Elvis
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 07:35:54 PM »

so tragic, sorry for the loss of your friend, I pray for strength for his loved ones.
It's all just part of the adventure!

pacrat

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Cypress,Texas
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 07:57:37 PM »

prayers around for all.

WILD E

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 08:49:20 PM »

Prayers go out to all. Every time I come across a story of a biker in an accident it really gives me the eebie jeebies. I try to learn from these unfortunate situations of others. We have to be one step ahead of the cagers and all other obstacles in the road.   I know bikers that are in their 70's been riding all their life and never had an accident,are they that good are just lucky. I have been riding for 36 years and have only been down once and that was as a young man.  Maybe I am over cautious but I don't look around much and concentrate on the road and what's around me.  That is a shame such a young life was taken but death doesn't discriminate.  Ride safe.
03 1800 VTX RS BLACK
New Braunfels

SouthernXer

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • BRAD Allen, Texas
    • Me playing music
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 08:54:05 PM »

Yep, prayers to both parties involved.  It's a shame.  Cars don't see us when we are doing the speed limit much less when we are clipping along at a faster rate.  As riders, we must do our due diligence and restrain ourselves in order to increase our protection on the road.  It's sad that your friend had this happen but what is horrible is the innocent passenger that died in the cage.   :'(

Prayers to all involved.

ViciousNoob

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2008, 09:28:14 PM »

damn, bro

I am SO sorry for your loss

Everyone involved just got a prayer. I hope you felt it.  :-\
If I wasn't n00b, I sure would want to be!!! ;-)

Lone_Wolfe

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Seattle, WA
    • My Cycle Travels
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 11:51:16 PM »

Prayers for all involved and their loved ones and yourself. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones to have survived two accidents, 15 years apart. My speeding was a factor in the first one. I learned from that mistake. I regret your friend didn't have the same fortune to learn from his. But even cruising at 35 - 40mph, too many drivers just don't pay the fullest amount of attention to what they're doing on the road. Sorry for your loss.

Morgan Buchanan

• Texas X Rider OverLord
    • Fantastic Opportunity!  Look and ask me about it!
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2008, 05:51:28 AM »

Thoughts and prayers. 
My now long gone VTX...

maveriks

• Rider
  • 07 VTX 1300S
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2008, 06:48:34 AM »

Prayers to all......makes me watch more...plz all do the same...
MaverikS (07 1300s Met Blk Cherry)

hipshot

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney, TX
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2008, 07:06:39 AM »

Well, we hear over and over from the folks who like to go fast that speeding isn't dangerous, or speed wasn't a factor, etc. Whether you're in a cage or on a bike you need to drive defensively (those drivers who "didn't see" a bike also often "didn't see" a car, truck, bus, tractor-trailer rig, train, etc. Not much you can do to make yourself visible to someone who's driving a car but totally focused on a conversation or a "crisis" (I once caught a woman who ran a stop sign at over three times the speed limit. She fought the charges in court - her defense was that she had just found out her boyfriend was cheating on her. Wow!!!), so you have to consider all the possibilities and drive in a manner that you can stop or avoid whatever unexpected hazards arise. You won't always succeed (not much you can do to prepare for a deer leaping out in front of you), but I believe that the awareness and focus of people who try to be prepared is what separates the safe drivers from the unfortunate ones. We're all human - we all make mistakes and we all suffer lapses in judgement or focus, but the ones who try are the ones who stay safe. I like to push it sometimes on the winding roads in the forest, but some day I'll come around a curve too fast and find the road blocked by a broken-down logging truck. It'll be all my fault. A good friend was out on his CBR one clear night on the freeway. Traffic was light and visibility was good, so he bumped it up to 135. He came over an overpass into a sea of brakelamps behind a wreck -- no room to stop in time. He go lucky and found a hole, but he had to bury the underwear he was wearing. You just never know.
02 1800C

jmdaniel

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • My other toy, '77 FJ40...
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2008, 07:20:04 AM »

+1
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
-- Unknown

2016 Honda F6B Deluxe
2007 Yamaha FJR1300A
2003 Honda VTX 1300

Lucky

• Board
  • Elvis
  • Canyon Lake, TX
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2008, 09:08:10 AM »

My prayers do go out to the families of those affected by this tragedy. 
"Lucky" Connie
'06 Pearl Dark Blue 1300C
If you don't love what you're doing, then don't do it.
Your chances of success are directly proportional to the degree of pleasure you derive from what you do.
Pages: [1] 2

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal