Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rear wheel bearings  (Read 1413 times)

hooter

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • Itasca (just North of Hillsboro on sceanic I-35W)
Rear wheel bearings
« on: July 30, 2008, 06:51:05 AM »

I had pulled off my rear wheel last week to change tires and low and behold I've got a bearing running rough. I got the bearings in yesterday and was going to change them today. Anybody done this? Any tricks? Has someone got a manual that can copy the pages for replacement and send them to me via
 hooter2005#sbcglobal.net
Thanks
Al
What I do today is very important because
I traded a day of my life for it.

Whatever you want to do, do it now.
  There are only so many tomorrows.

snake

• What a ride it's been!
Re: Rear wheel bearings
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 08:34:06 AM »

Al, drive out the old bearings as straight as poss. Put extra grease (they come almost dry from the factory) in the open side of the new bearings, then drive them in as straight and carefully as possible...with the open sides centered against each other to keep that grease in. Don't forget the collar. I assume you are talking the flange bearings, correct? Be sure you ordered two bearings, as it takes two bearings together to make the one bearing on the flange side.
:ohwow: signed: A reality-challenged left wingnut!
     420! Yeah, baby!

hooter

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 10:27:18 AM »

The bearings I have are All Balls (TM) from HDL and are sealed bearings. The spline support bearings I got out and replaced but the main bearings in the wheel are Mo-Fo's to get to. I haven't figured that one out yet. I'm an old bearing replacer from a long while back and hadn't had any that kicked my booty but I just can't see the angle to get these out. Hipshot said he would shoot me a pic from the manuel this afternoon when he gets home and I just may have to wait till then to figure a way.
thanks for your input
AL
Hope to be in your neck of the woods this weekend. Let you know via phone.  O0

snake

• What a ride it's been!
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 12:03:37 PM »

holler at me. 903-244-1651
     420! Yeah, baby!

Chad

• Board
  • Elvis
  • M G, TX.
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 03:29:55 PM »

Hooter I know when I got the chrome rims I had the bearing already out of the rear wheel but even then I had to get all the rest of the guts out to put in the new rim. I was told by Torque that they are a MO FO for sure and he said that it would be a good idea for me to go to where someone had the right tools to do the job so I would screw things up. Good luck!!  8)
Member since 2004
RIP Torque Dec.18,1975-Apr.29,2009

Xwrecker

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 05:43:30 PM »

holler at me. 903-244-1651

You dun it now...... Bigpro gonna get this number and put it in his new phone!   :D :D

He is lookin for numbers to fill it back up.

qoute:  Well lost the freakin cell phone Cool  Must be with that damn key Angry

If you would like me to have your number send me a PM, if not then go @#R#$^^ Grin Wink

« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 05:45:04 PM by Xwrecker »

Dusty

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 07:05:53 PM »

I had pulled off my rear wheel last week to change tires and low and behold I've got a bearing running rough. I got the bearings in yesterday and was going to change them today. Anybody done this? Any tricks? Has someone got a manual that can copy the pages for replacement and send them to me via
 hooter2005#sbcglobal.net
Thanks
Al

If for some reason Jim can't fix you up, let me know. I don't know how to do it but have a service manual I can make copies and scan in. I think.  :-\ I was wondering how many miles you have on the bike. I keep waiting for something to crater and don't want it to happen in October on some Mountain top somewhere.  :'(

hooter

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 08:12:15 PM »

hooter2005#sbcglobal.net
Thanks
Al

If for some reason Jim can't fix you up, let me know. I don't know how to do it but have a service manual I can make copies and scan in. I think.  :-\ I was wondering how many miles you have on the bike. I keep waiting for something to crater and don't want it to happen in October on some Mountain top somewhere.  :'(

Jim sent me some copies of the pages I needed this afternoon. I got the final drive spline hub bearings done this morning with out to many fowl words infiltrating the ears of the little kids in the neighborhood. Those were the worst of the group but still need to get the others done. I've spent the better part of this afternoon looking at different angles to get at the bearings and the spacer tube inside the wheel between the bearings. After many well's and what if's and a few cold ones I got the schematic from Jim and that pretty well clinched to finally thought on the subject. It's (the wheel) is stealer bound asap.
I've got 35,000 on the bike and have checked the bearings everytime the rear has been off and when I put my last tire on 11,000 ago they were fine. The main wheel bearings seem to be OK, not rough but I want to change them out anyway just because, the final drive spline bearings were shot with the balls falling out.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 04:38:45 AM by hooter »

Chad

• Board
  • Elvis
  • M G, TX.
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2008, 02:28:55 PM »

Well at least you bike it going back together!!  ;D
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 02:34:32 PM by VTXChad »
Member since 2004

snake

• What a ride it's been!
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2008, 02:37:25 PM »

You still don't have your hub back yet Chad? :(
     420! Yeah, baby!

Chad

• Board
  • Elvis
  • M G, TX.
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2008, 02:42:12 PM »

Nope!!  :'(
Member since 2004

snake

• What a ride it's been!
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2008, 02:46:29 PM »

Borrow Morgans....I'll come help.
     420! Yeah, baby!

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal