Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Textile Jackets ...  (Read 2081 times)

Xwrecker

• Old Timer
Textile Jackets ...
« on: July 28, 2008, 05:02:30 AM »

Now that I got info on the helmut, I need input on a good jacket. I do plan on getting a good jacket when I get back on my bike. The worst thing about my recent accident was the road rash on my arms and legs, man that hurt like a futher mucker!!!  The treatment for cleaning the wounds for faster healing (lavage) works good, but it hurts real bad. I have a tremendous tolerance, I sometimes amaze my doctors, but that was terrible. Even with the pain meds,I would suggest to everyone to wear your protective gear at all times, I will from now on. The day I had my wreck, I was going down the street to get gas. One stray dog then BOOM, 70 feet later and a badly dislocated ankle and rashed-up body, here I am. I would not wish that on anyone.

Any info I get from you guys is always greatly appreciated. I respect yalls input.
Later and thanks...
Marlon

snake

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • What a ride it's been!
Re: Textile Jackets ...
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 06:39:58 AM »

A good priced summer style jacket would be the "intake" series jacket from tourmaster. Only about 130, and has zip out linings and about the most air flow of any of the textiles I've seen.
:ohwow: signed: A reality-challenged left wingnut!
     420! Yeah, baby!

bstreets

• Trailer Queen
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 07:42:25 AM »

I had a Tour Master Intake 2 jacket and returned it because of poor build quality. I now have a Joe rocket Phoenix 5. The Phoenix 5 does not have as many features as the Intake 2. But, the quality of the Joe Rocket product is superior the Tour Master products that I have owned.

Bob
2007 Alpine Pearl White VTX1300C

Morgan Buchanan

• Texas X Rider OverLord
    • Fantastic Opportunity!  Look and ask me about it!
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 09:58:37 AM »

if you get textile, just be sure the contact places have good secure armour and wear it.  With textile, in a slide you can go thru the mesh to the armour, which usually doesn't happen with leather.
My now long gone VTX...

Dusty

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 11:59:26 AM »

I have a bright yellow textile jacket complete with the armor and removable lining. I think I wore it for maybe 2000 miles and it's been hanging up ever since. I want to say it's a Firstgear but I'll have to look when I get home this afternoon. It's either a 2 or 3x. I bought it in 03 with the thought that being bright yellow would make me visible. I decided I didn't want to be that visible. I'll make you a good deal on it if you think you are interested. It has the TexasXRiders patch sewn on the back.

Dusty

It is Firstgear but it's a 4x. I was going to post a pic, but apparently Mr fuzzy nuts over at Bigbikers deleted all my pics.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 05:19:04 PM by Dusty »

RocknRoll

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Kingwood, TX
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 03:25:15 PM »

I have a bright yellow textile jacket complete with the armor and removable lining. I think I wore it for maybe 2000 miles and it's been hanging up ever since. I want to say it's a Firstgear but I'll have to look when I get home this afternoon. It's either a 2 or 3x. I bought it in 03 with the thought that being bright yellow would make me visible. I decided I didn't want to be that visible. I'll make you a good deal on it if you think you are interested. It has the TexasXRiders patch sewn on the back.

Dusty

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Wanna make God laugh?  -  Tell him your plans!

Wanna make God angry?  -  Treat Him with indifference!

Dusty

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 05:20:27 PM »

Dusty

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

What are you laughing at Mr. Carrhart?  ;D ;D ;D ;D

RocknRoll

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Kingwood, TX
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 09:00:14 AM »

Dusty

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

What are you laughing at Mr. Carrhart?  ;D ;D ;D ;D

O0 O0 ;D ;D
Wanna make God laugh?  -  Tell him your plans!

Wanna make God angry?  -  Treat Him with indifference!

jmdaniel

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • My other toy, '77 FJ40...
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 10:39:50 AM »

It is Firstgear but it's a 4x. I was going to post a pic, but apparently Mr fuzzy nuts over at Bigbikers deleted all my pics.

Set yourself up an account on Flicker, Bill. BigBikeParts has been too hit or miss recently.

http://www.flickr.com/

O0
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
-- Unknown

2016 Honda F6B Deluxe
2007 Yamaha FJR1300A
2003 Honda VTX 1300

bluestreak

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2008, 11:29:14 AM »

Make no mistake about it.........Leather has far better abrasion resistance than textile jackets.  About 3 to 4 times more according to magizine reviews I've read and I would agree with that.  But if your not going to wear a leather........... textile IS better than nothing.  One of the most important things to understand about textile garments is that they must fit tightly enough not to allow the armor to move upon impact.  This means the garment must be tight.  Much tighter than most people will wear them from what I've seen.  Most people fit for comfort rather than garment performance and that is a mistake with textile garments.  If it's not tight (snug at least), it's not right.  Choose textile items like you would a helmet.  It should be as snug to your body as you can stand it.  Textile will expand and adjust to your body shape with wear.  It will not do you much good if your not wearing the right size.  It's very important to sinch all of the adjustment straps so as to keep armor in the correct places.  The textile garments flexibility and ability to easly move on your body is a bad thing, so you must keep it in place by fitting it correctly when you buy it and adjusting straps to keep armor in it's place.  I was surprised how many jackets I had to try on before I found the one that was right for me.  I wear a Fieldsheer textile jacket when it's too hot to wear leather, but I'll always consider the leather jacket first.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 11:31:03 AM by bluestreak »
AMA Life Member #xxx445
Cureent Rides:
73 Yamaha RD 350
85 Yamaha RZ 350
79 Yamaha Daytona 400
82 Honda V45 Sabre 750
08 Honda Goldwing Airbag
03 ApriliaTuono Racing 998
82 Yamaha YZ 250
02 Honda VTX 1800C
06 Yamaha YZF-R1
06 Yamaha YZF-R1 LE
02 Suzuki GSXR 750 Track Bike

Xwrecker

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2008, 12:38:02 PM »

Make no mistake about it.........Leather has far better abrasion resistance than textile jackets.  About 3 to 4 times more according to magizine reviews I've read and I would agree with that.  But if your not going to wear a leather........... textile IS better than nothing.  One of the most important things to understand about textile garments is that they must fit tightly enough not to allow the armor to move upon impact.  This means the garment must be tight.  Much tighter than most people will wear them from what I've seen.  Most people fit for comfort rather than garment performance and that is a mistake with textile garments.  If it's not tight (snug at least), it's not right.  Choose textile items like you would a helmet.  It should be as snug to your body as you can stand it.  Textile will expand and adjust to your body shape with wear.  It will not do you much good if your not wearing the right size.  It's very important to sinch all of the adjustment straps so as to keep armor in the correct places.  The textile garments flexibility and ability to easly move on your body is a bad thing, so you must keep it in place by fitting it correctly when you buy it and adjusting straps to keep armor in it's place.  I was surprised how many jackets I had to try on before I found the one that was right for me.  I wear a Fieldsheer textile jacket when it's too hot to wear leather, but I'll always consider the leather jacket first.

But don't you burn up in the leather?

elvis441

• Old Timer
  • '06 VTX1800F Spec 2 Dark Red
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2008, 01:07:33 PM »

I have the Cortech GX-Air with leather mesh jacket. It moves a LOT of air on the road and has LEATHER at all the impact points (Shoulders, Elbows, Back, etc...)

It also comes fully armored with the GOOD hard armor not the soft double density stuff.

It's available for 179.99 (No Tax or Shipping) here: http://www.helmetshop.com/CategoryProductList.jsp?cat=Motorcycle+Jackets%3AMesh+Motorcycle+Jackets:GX+Air+Mesh+w%2F+Leather+Jacket

Have fun & stay safe

bluestreak

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2008, 01:09:51 PM »

Yes it can get hot wearing leather, but being a little uncomforatble sometimes is the trade off for having better protection.  That's always a trade off decssion the rider must make.  Comfort vesus protection.  I'm willing to suffer more than most when it come to protection from what I've seen.  I value my hide more than comfort espesially when riding a sport bike and speeds increase.   I can wear a non-perforated leather jacket (with two very small zipper vents) and leather pants (with very limited perforations) and polyester underwear at 85 degrees and be OK with that.  As long as I'm moving I get pretty good evaporitive cooling effect from the polyester even with very little air venting as described above.  If you haven't worn polyester as an under garment, you'll be surprised how well it works. I couldn't wear leather above 80 without it.  Above 90 I can't wear leather in any case.  I don't like to ride at 95 degrees or above.  It's not fun for me.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 01:16:12 PM by bluestreak »
AMA Life Member #xxx445
Cureent Rides:
73 Yamaha RD 350
85 Yamaha RZ 350
79 Yamaha Daytona 400
82 Honda V45 Sabre 750
08 Honda Goldwing Airbag
03 ApriliaTuono Racing 998
82 Yamaha YZ 250
02 Honda VTX 1800C
06 Yamaha YZF-R1
06 Yamaha YZF-R1 LE
02 Suzuki GSXR 750 Track Bike

Luckys Lover

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • My other addiction
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2008, 01:14:28 PM »

The phrase I heard several times at my stepson's wreck was "Sweat DRIES faster than blood." I'm working on getting my armor back out for any long rides. to/from work is short and I got no place to hang it up later. But it's NOT safer because it's shorter. I've got the steel toe on my riding boots showing from a wreck across the street from work.
If stupidity got us into this mess, why can stupidity get us out of it? Will Rogers
I don't care what other people think. They don't do it very often!
Of Course it's dirty. It's hard to clean when the tires keep moving.

RedDragon

• Master of Monumental Proportions
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2008, 01:40:51 PM »

Yes it can get hot wearing leather, but being a little uncomforatble sometimes is the trade off for having better protection.  That's always a trade off decssion the rider must make.  Comfort vesus protection.  I'm willing to suffer more than most when it come to protection from what I've seen.  I value my hide more than comfort espesially when riding a sport bike and speeds increase.   I can wear a non-perforated leather jacket (with two very small zipper vents) and leather pants (with very limited perforations) and polyester underwear at 85 degrees and be OK with that.  As long as I'm moving I get pretty good evaporitive cooling effect from the polyester even with very little air venting as described above.  If you haven't worn polyester as an under garment, you'll be surprised how well it works. I couldn't wear leather above 80 without it.  Above 90 I can't wear leather in any case.  I don't like to ride at 95 degrees or above.  It's not fun for me.

I guess your done for awhile!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D

2005 VTX 1800C Red Tribal Flame
2005 Yamaha FZ1 Silver
Pages: [1] 2

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal