Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Full face helmut  (Read 3101 times)

Xwrecker

• Old Timer
Full face helmut
« on: July 26, 2008, 01:00:53 AM »

I want a new full face helmut, but I want the one with the best/most airflow through the vents on the helmut. Any suggestions?

nomercyambulance

• Texas X Rider OverLord
Re: Full face helmut
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2008, 03:21:55 AM »

I have a HJC full face that seems to vent very well. Got it at Honda of Houston.
The parts people are very good at getting you what you want and need.
Proud to be an American.
If you are not, LEAVE!!

snake

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • What a ride it's been!
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2008, 05:39:42 AM »

Not sure if you use a windshield or not, but the vents don't help too much with a shield on unless you have it about chin level low. I have a modular (nolan 100) that has a good vent system, but since my shield is 25 in over the headlight, it doesn't vent too much. :-[
:ohwow: signed: A reality-challenged left wingnut!
     420! Yeah, baby!

BigNasdy

• Old Timer
    • American veteran Pool Table Sevice
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2008, 06:46:47 AM »

hel mitts....windsheilds....sheeeesh...drive yer car!

elvis441

• Old Timer
  • '06 VTX1800F Spec 2 Dark Red
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2008, 08:21:46 AM »

I have a HJC full face that seems to vent very well. Got it at Honda of Houston.
The parts people are very good at getting you what you want and need.

Honda of Houston is great for finding what you want. When you find it go to http://www.extremesupply.com/index.htm.

Best prices I've found on helmets and FREE Shipping.

Have Fun! O0

Lucky

• Board
  • Elvis
  • Canyon Lake, TX
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2008, 06:14:54 AM »

Well, we all have the right to wear a helmet or not, but I am going to put a plug in for wearing one, and even a plug for a full face.  I organized a ride yesterday for my son, Andrew who just bought his new 1800 3 weeks ago.  He is leaving to go back overseas next week and yesterday was the last chance for him to get together with several friends and go on a long ride.  To make the story short, we were going down 3090 towards Carlos and on that last serpetine set of curves before 244 Andrew lost it and crashed his bike.  The purpose of me telling you this is that he and his passenger were wearing full faced helmets (because I INSISTED).  Both of them would have had to had dirt and gravel dug out of what was left of their faces when the dust settled if they had not been wearing helmets.  The bike is probably going to be declared totalled by the insurance company, but fortunately my son and his friend are not totalled, just scratched up pretty bad....thank you helmets.
"Lucky" Connie
'06 Pearl Dark Blue 1300C
If you don't love what you're doing, then don't do it.
Your chances of success are directly proportional to the degree of pleasure you derive from what you do.

Dusty

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2008, 06:34:14 AM »

I have a full face HJC CL-14. Vents in chin area and front top. When I do wear it, there isn't much air flow. In summer, if I wear it, I have to leave the face shield up or I cook. If stopped, I cook. In winter, I have to leave the face shield cracked open or it fogs up.

In defense of the HJC, I am always hot by nature and fat. I do have a windshield which I guess does hamper the air flow some.

If you go full face, I would suggest a flip face. I can't tell you the number of times I have tried to eat something or get a drink and had to take the dang thing off just to get a drink.

People who have flip face helmets may have more input.

David,,,get back in your cage.  ;D

Morgan Buchanan

• Texas X Rider OverLord
    • Fantastic Opportunity!  Look and ask me about it!
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2008, 06:55:51 AM »

the first and absolutely most important factor of a helmet is that it fits properly.  Every other consideration is a bonus, because if it doesn't fit properly, it'll hurt, and you'll stop wearing it.  Most of the more modern helmets vent pretty well, but I believe that the more premium helmets vent better than their less expensive counterparts.  I love my Shoei RF1000.  It vents exceptionally well.  I tried one of the HJCs and one of the Scorpions, but they're simply not as good, IMO.  But the premiums....Shark, Suomi, Shoei, Arai, others...are more expensive. 

A $400 helmet that you wear is cheaper than a $200 helmet you don't wear.
My now long gone VTX...

maveriks

• Rider
  • 07 VTX 1300S
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2008, 07:23:44 AM »

Well, we all have the right to wear a helmet or not, but I am going to put a plug in for wearing one, and even a plug for a full face.  ...........................The bike is probably going to be declared totalled by the insurance company, but fortunately my son and his friend are not totalled, just scratched up pretty bad....thank you helmets.

To add to it: a condition of my friend when I was bringing the X home after purchase - only with a helmet on. He said so coz a week earlier to that he went down on his spirit maybe when he was doing 8 MPH & it so happened that he hit the ground with his head first....Lucky part: he had his helmet on. IMHO (just mine): at least OF helmet is the bare min.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 07:25:56 AM by maveriks »
MaverikS (07 1300s Met Blk Cherry)

hipshot

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney, TX
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2008, 07:25:03 AM »

In addition to what Morgan posted, if the helmet fits properly it will afford the wearer much better protection from an impact than one which is too loose. I'm a big fan of the modular helmets; I have some old full-face helmets that were great when I could wear them, but now that I'm an old, broke-down bespactacled fogey, I need a helmet I can use with glasses. I'm not trading in my ultra-lightweight specs for a set I can put on through a full-face helmet. I sometimes wear a 3/4 helmet with a flipup shield when it's hot, but if the weather's cool I wear the modular. I've heard several people say they won't wear a modular because the chin bar isn't as strong as the chin bar on a full-face. I'm sure it's not, but if it fails I'm no worse off than if I wore the 3/4 helmet. And even if it does fail, it may well still provide SOME protection to my face, especially if I'm sliding merrily along the pavement. As ugly as I am, I just couldn't justify spending money to reconstruct my face.

Protective gear is a choice (at least for now, there's talk of making helmets mandatory again), and I often ride without armor. But losing some hide won't make me a vegetable, and I always wear a helmet. There are a lot of bikers who seem not to have a brain; I believe they are why helmets are optional -- they won't be hurt by head trauma even without a helmet. For those of you with a brain, consider that motorcycle accidents are on the rise, and the increase is partially attributable to the don'tgiveashit attitude of the contemporary American driver who believes that he/she is perfectly capable of operating a 5,000 lb. killing machine at 85mph while texting, eating, applying makeup, yakking on a cell phone, and yes, even changing clothes (I've seen it myself). While every one of us who has a driver's license knows (or SHOULD know) that two seconds is the minimum safe reactionary gap, the average driver around here follows at less than a one second gap. American drivers get more dangerous every day. Protect yourself.
02 1800C

hipshot

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney, TX
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2008, 07:29:22 AM »

Well, we all have the right to wear a helmet or not, but I am going to put a plug in for wearing one, and even a plug for a full face.  ...........................The bike is probably going to be declared totalled by the insurance company, but fortunately my son and his friend are not totalled, just scratched up pretty bad....thank you helmets.

To add to it: a condition of my friend when I was bringing the X home after purchase - only with a helmet on. He said so coz a week earlier to that he went down on his spirit maybe when he was doing 8 MPH & it so happened that he hit the ground with his head first....Lucky part: he had his helmet on. IMHO (just mine): at least OF helmet is the bare min.

Ask POGOGOLF how hard a biker can land on his/her head in a parking lot (sorry Jeff, I'll bet you thought everyone had forgotten).
02 1800C

Morgan Buchanan

• Texas X Rider OverLord
    • Fantastic Opportunity!  Look and ask me about it!
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2008, 07:54:26 AM »

We all make choices.  Wearing a helmet is about risk management and deciding what is or is not acceptable.  For some people, it's acceptable to egregiously risk their life more than they already are by riding a motorcycle for the sake of some small comfort, like not wearing a helmet.  I'm ok with that.  I don't AGREE but I'm ok with that.  What gets me is the folks like ABATE trying to make up "facts" to suggest that wearing a helmet is BAD.  LOL  I like my scull, I like my face, I like my neck.. and in virtually every possible way, a helmet makes it more likely that those things will be uninjured, or less injured.

But really, I think the biggest factor in my helmet wearing was that when I was young and invincible, I had hard contacts, and riding with just sunglasses wasn't comfortable.  LOL  But it got to be a habit so by the time I was old enough to have a better understanding of my vulnerability, it was ingrained behavior.  LMAO
My now long gone VTX...

RedDragon

• Master of Monumental Proportions
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2008, 08:45:46 AM »

Well, we all have the right to wear a helmet or not, but I am going to put a plug in for wearing one, and even a plug for a full face.  I organized a ride yesterday for my son, Andrew who just bought his new 1800 3 weeks ago.  He is leaving to go back overseas next week and yesterday was the last chance for him to get together with several friends and go on a long ride.  To make the story short, we were going down 3090 towards Carlos and on that last serpetine set of curves before 244 Andrew lost it and crashed his bike.  The purpose of me telling you this is that he and his passenger were wearing full faced helmets (because I INSISTED).  Both of them would have had to had dirt and gravel dug out of what was left of their faces when the dust settled if they had not been wearing helmets.  The bike is probably going to be declared totalled by the insurance company, but fortunately my son and his friend are not totalled, just scratched up pretty bad....thank you helmets.

Wow Lucky, glad your son and his friend are OK. Three weeks old, I bet he feels like AppleSauce. I had a friend go down in that same stretch the first time they had ever been on that road. Makes for a crappy day!

2005 VTX 1800C Red Tribal Flame
2005 Yamaha FZ1 Silver

pacrat

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Cypress,Texas
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2008, 09:06:43 AM »

Lucky, glad your son and friend are ok!!!

bluestreak

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2008, 07:43:22 PM »

As for helmet ventilation........

Suomey and Arai are at the top of the scale as per helmet testing that I've read.  They are also expensive and noisy.  If you want great ventilation, you will get noise from any helmet.  The helmet must be in the air stream in order to creat a low pressure area behind the helmet.  That's how they draw air through them.  The faster you go....the better they vent.
I have both an Arai and Suomey full face and can say they do vent very good.  I also use an Arai open face that vents very good.  I can really tell a difference when the vents are not open on a hot day.
The HJC full face is suppose to vent pretty good for that lower price range.  Research the web sites for evaluations on the helmets they carry.  HelmetHarbor.com and SportBikeTrackGear.com have good review systems with vedios.

In order to get the best ventilation, your windsheild will have to be at the correct height to place the vents in the air stream.  Unfortunatley you'll proably get some buffeting from this.  You can experiment with the shield height to get the best compromise between buffeting and venting. I find that placing the shield so I'm just looking over the top of it to be the best for me.

As for my choice........I choose to wear a helmet all the time.  I've been on the pavement three times and EVERYTIME I've hit my head hard enough to cause damage if I had not been wearing a helmet.  I was even knocked out after a dirt bike crash once and I was wearing a helmet then.  I've seen others go down and not hit their heads.  Every wreck is different.  I feel it's just a matter of time and luck, as to if and when you will go down.  You can be the most defensive rider out there, but if some doofus screws up, will you be dressed for the event when it happens?  I respect the right for everyone to make their own choice because I don't want the government telling me what to do.  But as far as I'm concerned, no one has ever had to tell me to wear a helmet or a seat belt for that matter.  They both are life savers.
AMA Life Member #xxx445
Cureent Rides:
73 Yamaha RD 350
85 Yamaha RZ 350
79 Yamaha Daytona 400
82 Honda V45 Sabre 750
08 Honda Goldwing Airbag
03 ApriliaTuono Racing 998
82 Yamaha YZ 250
02 Honda VTX 1800C
06 Yamaha YZF-R1
06 Yamaha YZF-R1 LE