• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Magnolia, TX
    • What I do...
Re: Ebay
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2008, 04:37:31 PM »

the satallite is in the wrong position to reach over the curvature of the earth

The earth is curved?? No freakin' way!  :o

Bill,

I just searched CNET's Certified Merchants list, and found this.  No messing with eBay, and free shipping to boot!

http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?omid=108&ref=cnet&utm_source=Cnet&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=GRZUMO550&sku=GRZUMO550
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 04:41:06 PM by MRVTX »

HeadGuess

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Wills Point, Texas
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2008, 06:52:28 PM »

HeadGuess

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Wills Point, Texas
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2008, 06:54:18 PM »

MRVTX

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Magnolia, TX
    • What I do...
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2008, 07:26:42 PM »

Stay away from those companies, HeadGuess.  Those are the ones that make you call in the order (or to confirm the order), and then they try to sell "extra" stuff that you don't need.  Then when you tell them you aren't interested, the product magically is not available or is on backorder.

Do a Google search for any company you come across, and specifically search for reviews.  You'll get plenty of red flags on those companies.

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-7593_102-0.html?forumID=58&threadID=273339&messageID=2639046

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-7593_102-0.html?forumID=58&threadID=271817&messageID=2629475

A good place to check reviews is www.resellerratings.com
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 07:38:43 PM by MRVTX »

Dusty

« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2008, 08:49:39 PM »

Thanks again guys! I have read until I'm about blind and scared that I won't be able to operate the thing if I get one.  :D
 I'm going to stop in BestBuy and see if they can beat the buydig price. Bestbuy doesn't show a discount online. Found a $50 coupon on the Fejeer site for Bestbuy. Thanks Jeff  ;)

VTXLady53

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney,TX <>< Member since 2004
    • Marigold's Basic Webs
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2008, 10:15:35 PM »

Bill go to Amazon.com.................

A friend bought one for $600.00. No bidding war. She just bought it out right.
Life is too short for drama or petty things, so laugh hard, love truly and forgive quickly. Live While You Are Alive. Forgive now those who made you cry. You might not get a second time.

Dusty

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2008, 04:57:11 AM »

Bill go to Amazon.com.................

A friend bought one for $600.00. No bidding war. She just bought it out right.

From what I have read Marigold, you have to be on your toes about what you get for $600. Lots of scams. I've read that the xm antenna is built in and I've read the opposite. I've seen where that alone could be another $200. If that's the case, I would go with the Garmin 450 and hum a lot. If you talk to your friend, ask her what she thinks of the unit and if she had to buy any accessories after the fact to make it do all it will do. The fejeer board sort of indicated that there is a better unit coming out and that's why some are marking the 550 down. I've got a couple of months before I really want something on my handlebars. I know for sure I don't want to depend on a map anymore. With my memory, I spend to much time stopping to read it again. ::) Plus, I think I'm missing a lot of good roads. :)

hooter

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • Itasca (just North of Hillsboro on sceanic I-35W)
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2008, 06:27:26 AM »

....... I know for sure I don't want to depend on a map anymore. With my memory, I spend to much time stopping to read it again. ::) Plus, I think I'm missing a lot of good roads. :)

Ah-ha Bill, I can understand and relate completely and that's why I posted "I don't "GET LOST ALL THE TIME" - I just " INVESTIGATE ALTERNATIVE DESTINATIONS." in my signature.  :D :D
What I do today is very important because
I traded a day of my life for it.

Whatever you want to do, do it now.
  There are only so many tomorrows.

BigNasdy

• Old Timer
    • American veteran Pool Table Sevice
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2008, 07:13:28 AM »

Hey Dusty, take a look at truck stops...I got a 350 dollar one for 89 bucs at a black cat truck stop...it was on sale, and they do put out flyers...
one note, as if ridin aint dangerous enough, lookin at that stupid thing will get ya killed...be careful!
d

Todd

• Tejano
  • HA HA Avatar works! (now if I'd only update it)
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2008, 01:02:32 PM »

(*&^%$#@#$% Lost my first reply:

Think of a dongle as an electronic gonad.   :) :) :)

Seriously, a dongle is a 1 /12" x 1 1/2" x 3/8" electronic black box that plugs into the earbud jack of a radio (ZUMO) - converts the electronic signal into Bluetooth protocol and transmits it into the air -  for a Bluetooth compatible motorcycle headset (or any Bluetooth compatible earbud) to receive it and the headset/earbud to convert it into sound waves for you to hear - all wirelessly (except for the dongle-to-ZUMO connection).

I know, I know - you'd think a Bluetooth ZUMO 550 would transmit XM Radio without a dongle - trust me, it won't.  It needs a dongle to transmit XM Radio just like a NON-Bluetooth ZUMO 450 would (read on).

The dongle's battery needs to be re-charged every 6-8 hours.

The ZUMO 550 requires a dongle to transmit XM Radio via Bluetooth.  The ZUMO will play XM Radio through the ZUMO's car cradle in mono, via the cradle's speaker.  The speaker is not waterproof, thus no good on a motorcycle (its really not loud enough to be heard on a bike anyway).  The ZUMO will play XM Radio through an earbud connected by a wire between the ZUMO's output jack and an earbud while the ZUMO is connected to its motorcycle cradle (there's no speaker in the motorcycle cradle).  That'll work for a motorcycle headset, but, hey, why did you get the Bluetooth ZUMO version in the first place?

The ZUMO will transmit cell phone calls from a Bluetooth cell phone, through the ZUMO via Bluetooth to a Bluetooth helmet headset - just like you'd expect.  The ZUMO will transmit MP3 from an internal SD card (not included), from the ZUMO via Bluetooth to a Bluetooth helmet headset - BUT ONLY IN MONO.

The ZUMO is only XM Radio compatible. It requires Garmin's $200.00 XM Radio antennae (which actually contains the XM Radio also) to be plugged into one of ZUMO's cradles via a right angle, mini USB port - the ZUMO must be plugged into the cradle also, and the cradle connected to a 12V power source.  The XM Radio will never work without a ZUMO cradle plugged into a 12V power sorce.  In other words, its not portable (unless you have a 12V battery strapped to your back).  The ZUMO GPS has an internal battery and will work for several hours before needing a recharge, but the vioce (Jill) cannot be heard with just the GPS in your hand (no internal speaker). 

Watch for scams on the Internet. I've heard of (no cradles, no wires, no map unlock codes, no factory warranty, previously used units, etc.).

I am positive of how this all works - I had to figure it all out, and buy it all for my Alaskan trip (on my KLRs, not my VTX).  He!!, I live on the east side.  You can come and play with my ZUMO and all its accessories and read the manual and touch the screen, etc, etc. etc.  Just don't tell anyone I let you "fondle my dongle".   :) :) :)

I'm legit - Marigold, Brock, Pepsx, VT-XS, etc know me from way back (but they probably won't admit to it) ;).  But they'll probably admit they've seen me hanging around Linda May (we're still together, BTW)!

I don't get here much so call me if you want to see my setup (281-381-4240) and we'll work something out.  Its a LOT of money - know what you're getting.

Todd   

Oh yeah - and Sssssssssssnake.  He gave me that pic in my sig line after he was through with her.  Looks like he missed her and wanted her back! 8)

MRVTX - Blame Columbus, not me!
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 01:17:23 PM by Todd »
Swing the Swappers!

snake

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • What a ride it's been!
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2008, 01:56:35 PM »

No problem Todd! I know how bad you've wanted her, LOL! We can share her.
:ohwow: signed: A reality-challenged left wingnut!
     420! Yeah, baby!

Dusty

« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2008, 04:26:50 PM »

(*&^%$#@#$% Lost my first reply:

Think of a dongle as an electronic gonad.   :) :) :)

Seriously, a dongle is a 1 /12" x 1 1/2" x 3/8" electronic black box that plugs into the earbud jack of a radio (ZUMO) - converts the electronic signal into Bluetooth protocol and transmits it into the air -  for a Bluetooth compatible motorcycle headset (or any Bluetooth compatible earbud) to receive it and the headset/earbud to convert it into sound waves for you to hear - all wirelessly (except for the dongle-to-ZUMO connection).

I know, I know - you'd think a Bluetooth ZUMO 550 would transmit XM Radio without a dongle - trust me, it won't.  It needs a dongle to transmit XM Radio just like a NON-Bluetooth ZUMO 450 would (read on).

The dongle's battery needs to be re-charged every 6-8 hours.

The ZUMO 550 requires a dongle to transmit XM Radio via Bluetooth.  The ZUMO will play XM Radio through the ZUMO's car cradle in mono, via the cradle's speaker.  The speaker is not waterproof, thus no good on a motorcycle (its really not loud enough to be heard on a bike anyway).  The ZUMO will play XM Radio through an earbud connected by a wire between the ZUMO's output jack and an earbud while the ZUMO is connected to its motorcycle cradle (there's no speaker in the motorcycle cradle).  That'll work for a motorcycle headset, but, hey, why did you get the Bluetooth ZUMO version in the first place?

The ZUMO will transmit cell phone calls from a Bluetooth cell phone, through the ZUMO via Bluetooth to a Bluetooth helmet headset - just like you'd expect.  The ZUMO will transmit MP3 from an internal SD card (not included), from the ZUMO via Bluetooth to a Bluetooth helmet headset - BUT ONLY IN MONO.

The ZUMO is only XM Radio compatible. It requires Garmin's $200.00 XM Radio antennae (which actually contains the XM Radio also) to be plugged into one of ZUMO's cradles via a right angle, mini USB port - the ZUMO must be plugged into the cradle also, and the cradle connected to a 12V power source.  The XM Radio will never work without a ZUMO cradle plugged into a 12V power sorce.  In other words, its not portable (unless you have a 12V battery strapped to your back).  The ZUMO GPS has an internal battery and will work for several hours before needing a recharge, but the vioce (Jill) cannot be heard with just the GPS in your hand (no internal speaker). 

Watch for scams on the Internet. I've heard of (no cradles, no wires, no map unlock codes, no factory warranty, previously used units, etc.).

I am positive of how this all works - I had to figure it all out, and buy it all for my Alaskan trip (on my KLRs, not my VTX).  He!!, I live on the east side.  You can come and play with my ZUMO and all its accessories and read the manual and touch the screen, etc, etc. etc.  Just don't tell anyone I let you "fondle my dongle".   :) :) :)

I'm legit - Marigold, Brock, Pepsx, VT-XS, etc know me from way back (but they probably won't admit to it) ;).  But they'll probably admit they've seen me hanging around Linda May (we're still together, BTW)!

I don't get here much so call me if you want to see my setup (281-381-4240) and we'll work something out.  Its a LOT of money - know what you're getting.

Todd   

Oh yeah - and Sssssssssssnake.  He gave me that pic in my sig line after he was through with her.  Looks like he missed her and wanted her back! 8)

MRVTX - Blame Columbus, not me!

So basically, be prepared to spend $1,000 to get all the bells and whistles to work like they claim they will. Screw it, I'll just stay lost. Thanks for all the info Todd!  O0

hobo

• Board
  • Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Cedar Creek Lake
    • westcherry.com
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2008, 04:57:39 PM »

Screw it, I'll just stay lost. O0

I'll ride with 'ya Bill. We'll just look like we know where we're going while we spend that money on beer... O0
My 2003 1800C lives at the shores of Cedar Creek Lake in Mabank, Texas
Don't make me get nekkid!... Smell The Bumper... I got my cookies!

murray_61

• Board
  • Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Hobe Sound, FL
    • facebook
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2008, 06:01:25 PM »

Screw it, I'll just stay lost. O0

I'll ride with 'ya Bill. We'll just look like we know where we're going while we spend that money on beer... O0

I'm in!  Where we goin?  I'll bring my dongle...

crow57

• Old Timer
  • Garland
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2008, 08:53:03 PM »

Good info in this thread, thanks Todd...   So does anybody know of any unit less expensive than the zumo 550 that will speak the driving instructions to a bluetooth head set?    I don't care about XM, MP3's, or anything else, I just wanna hear "wake up and turn, dumbass"

'05 V-Twin, Xtra large 1800 S
Pages: 1 [2] 3

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal