Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Miles and miles of Texas  (Read 1703 times)

hobo

• Board
  • Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Cedar Creek Lake
    • westcherry.com
Miles and miles of Texas
« on: July 18, 2008, 03:50:51 PM »

2003 C model bought new in August of 2004. Away on administrative leave for a couple of years. When I got home in August of 2006, it had 15,000 miles on it. Today it's got 54,000. That's almost 20,000/year for the last couple of years.  :) Glad I went darkside. I like to ride.  O0

How many miles you got on yours now, snake?
My 2003 1800C lives at the shores of Cedar Creek Lake in Mabank, Texas
Don't make me get nekkid!... Smell The Bumper... I got my cookies!

angelannie

Re: Miles and miles of Texas
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 04:50:35 PM »

Sounds like you really enjoy riding, hobo!  That's great! 

I got my VTX 1300R new & began riding it last February.  It had 30,000 miles on it by the end of December.   I've already ridden almost 20,000 this year, split between the VTX & the Jackal. 

I found lots of fun places in Texas to ride to on my VTX last year - there's a hand-drawn ferry across the Rio Grande into Mexico at Los Ebanos; I rode across Carpenter's Bluff Bridge, a one lane bridge over the Red River into Oklahoma east of Denison; I kissed the Blarney Stone in the Panhandle town of Shamrock & I found that Hwy 4 out of Brownsville runs straight into the Gulf of Mexico at Boca Chica, the southeastern tip of Texas.  Don't ride down there drunk at night or you may miss the "Pavement Ends" sign & get a little wet!

Ferry

Pulling the ferry

Carpenter's Bluff Bridge

Blarney Stone

Boca Chica

Here's a list of places to ride to in Texas.  Have fun finding them!

AngelAnnie

crow57

• Old Timer
  • Garland
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 06:06:04 PM »

Dang, y'all put me to shame...  It'll be a year Aug 2 since I got my VTX, should turn over 12K by then.   About 12K a year on my last bike too...

'05 V-Twin, Xtra large 1800 S

xcaliber

• Board
  • Elvis
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 07:20:28 PM »

Dad gum Annie, I'm totally impressed, 8) 10,000 for me last year riding  only on weekends as I'm a traveling sales man during the week. Great pictures! Hope we can ride together sometime. O0
It's all just part of the adventure!

tom cat

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 08:30:42 PM »

I got in 50mi yesterday. I know not much, but better than nothing.

VTXLady53

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney,TX <>< Member since 2004
    • Marigold's Basic Webs
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2008, 09:25:33 PM »

WOW..........

Annie you are a RIDER.......... O0

I think I rode 50 miles round trip doing errands today...
Life is too short for drama or petty things, so laugh hard, love truly and forgive quickly. Live While You Are Alive. Forgive now those who made you cry. You might not get a second time.

angelannie

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2008, 10:26:31 PM »

Hey, I do a lot of 50 mile & less trips too, just riding in this area, exploring a nearby lake, etc.  Most of my "long" trips are 3 nights or less.  I try to stay off interstates, stop some for pictures, snacks, drinks & meals & ride 400 - 800 miles in a day. 

I am heading out to the Texas Panhandle next Friday to finish up a Texas Ghost Town Tour.  Going to Clairemont, Kingsmill, Alanreed, Whiteflat, Cee Vee, & Perico.  Then on Saturday I'll meet a friend from Kansas up in Follett & we'll ride around together, not sure where yet. And Sunday I'll head on back home. 

This weekend I'm going to the benefit for the Children's Home in Kaufman & then stop by the Echo Springs Blueberry Farm on my way home.  Maybe I'll see some of you at the benefit!

AngelAnnie

snake

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • What a ride it's been!
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2008, 10:31:14 PM »

How many miles you got on yours now, snake?
62k+ right now, Workin' too much  :( to get miles other than to-work miles right now... Did get a 400 miler in on my day off a couple weeks ago up doing the Talimena Drive ;D. and a 200 mile rounder the Sunday before.... ;D
:ohwow: signed: A reality-challenged left wingnut!
     420! Yeah, baby!

07VTXPredator

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2008, 10:25:05 AM »

I ride every day while I'm home, but that never really ammounts to too much.  I would love to be able to go on long trips.  One of these days....

angelannie... very impressive. O0
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

tom cat

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2008, 03:14:22 PM »

Angelannie, Your ghost town tour is missing a good one Old Mobetie. It is not that far from Kings Mill, East around 30-40mi it actually has something to see unlike the places listed. Yes I know them all well, most are places my rail road has set out tracks.
On your way to Perico be sure to get a pick of the floating mountain about 8 mi west of Amarillo, also on the same road going to Channing is a ghost town called Ady there is only a street sign on a dirt road around 3 miles west of Tascosa that says Ady Road, where the tracks cross that road is Ady. I once lived there in a box car. Just to the west of where the track crosses the road is where 2 box cars sat.

larry_357

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2008, 05:16:10 PM »

Is getting to see not just miles and miles of Texas but miles and miles of this good ole U.S.A.Myself and a  friend of mine are here in Deadwood,S.D doing the tourist thing which was so much better than going to work in Midland lol.If you have never been here beautiful country and some great riding and we got here before the big rush for Sturgis.
Alvin,Texas

angelannie

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2008, 05:52:08 PM »

Tom Cat, Thanks for the tips.  I found Ady on my map on 1061 before Boys Ranch & I saw Mobeetie east of Pampa.  Floating mountain is on 1061 too?  I will try to run that direction before I run out of daylight Friday.  It's possible I can ride that direction on Saturday, depends on how far away from home my Kansas friends want to go.  Thanks again!

AngelAnnie

Morgan Buchanan

• Texas X Rider OverLord
    • Fantastic Opportunity!  Look and ask me about it!
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2008, 07:23:37 PM »

I think I've done something like 5000 this year...  but I don't have a long commute and I spend a lot of weekends doing stuff that disincludes the bike.
My now long gone VTX...

Lucky

• Board
  • Elvis
  • Canyon Lake, TX
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2008, 09:05:05 PM »

I'm looking forward to the time when I can do all the riding/sightseeing you do Annie...I am still happy tho that I have been able to put over 9000 on my bike in about 5 months.
"Lucky" Connie
'06 Pearl Dark Blue 1300C
If you don't love what you're doing, then don't do it.
Your chances of success are directly proportional to the degree of pleasure you derive from what you do.

j1mmyj4m

• The Shocker
  • Administrator
  • Master of Monumental Proportions
  • Deer Park, Tx
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2008, 12:16:22 PM »

56,660 when I pulled into the driveway last saturday.  I ride the 750 to work all of 4 miles round trip and have put about 3000 on it.
Chunk the llama.
Pages: [1] 2

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal