Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Does your bike lean to the left to track straight?

yes
no
don't notice it, so probably no.

Author Topic: Tire Poll  (Read 897 times)

twistedrcpilot

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Montgomery Tx. /Lake Conroe TX
Tire Poll
« on: July 18, 2008, 09:25:40 AM »

Quote stolen from the Tire Wear Thread.....
Chanfge out that POS stock exhaust and you will see a huge decrease in the wear pattern. What were they thinking? 50 extra pounds on one side of the bike?

Okay, I'm glad you brought this up.  I posed this question on the darksiders board and a few people told me I was nutz.

My stepup:  I have a basiclly stock 1800 neoretro spec 2.  I have an avon cobra on the front, and a bridgestone potenza 01 car tire on the back.  A couple of minor mods is the final drive swap and I've gutted about 5 lbs of metal out of each pipe. The bike has never been laid over and never had any real work done to it to alter alignment.

So, my question is, why does my bike lean to the left to go straight.  Second question is does anyone else have this problem?  I noticed it before when I had 2 mc tires, but now that I have the flat tire, It's really noticable.  Also, you can see it in my sig pic.  I was told the other day that I was caddywampus.

Im kinda thinking the stock exaust.  The fork levels are even, but the left one extends a hair more than the right one.  I don't think that is enough to effect it that bad.

*Closet Darksider*

TomVTX

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Blanco, Texas
Re: Tire Poll
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 10:50:51 AM »

I've heard (I'm not an authority on this) that some of the lean to the left has to do with the crown on the highways.  Mine leans some to the left also ('02 1800C)  Now that I've put the c/t on the back I don't notice it quite as much, but it is still there.  At first I thought I was compensating for the wind, but that wasn't it.  It bothered me for awhile, thinking there was something wrong. 

Just forget about the lean and ride the damn thing!  That's the best fix I can give.

Morgan Buchanan

• Texas X Rider OverLord
    • Fantastic Opportunity!  Look and ask me about it!
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 11:35:22 AM »

I've heard (I'm not an authority on this) that some of the lean to the left has to do with the crown on the highways. 

http://www.rattlebars.com/valkfaq/tirewear/

While I wouldn't suggest that this is some absolute authority, the guy has done a lot of pretty convincing stuff to show that it's not road crown.  It's a good read.
My now long gone VTX...

twistedrcpilot

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Montgomery Tx. /Lake Conroe TX
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 01:21:21 PM »

I drove down the wrong side of the road just to try it. Granted this only had a slight crown, but I was able to let go of the bars and it tracked straight. Something is really wrong.

*Closet Darksider*

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal