Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cutting Windshield  (Read 2955 times)

Tinman

• Old Timer
  • Bridge City
Cutting Windshield
« on: July 05, 2006, 05:34:36 PM »

Bought a 2UP the other day and man was it BIG. Trimmed it down just now and I gotta say it was easier than I thought. Thanks to this article I had read. 

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/tech/remove_windshield/index.html

Just take your time and there should be no problems. Any questions drop me a PM.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2006, 05:41:45 PM by Tinman »

Snake Doc

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • San Antonio
Re: Cutting Windshield
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2006, 11:50:07 AM »

I'm interested in expanding the 7" round headlight hole in my shield to a larger rectangle to get some airflow - it's warm behind that windshield in the summer.  Like Jerry said, what kind of saw and blade worked for you?  Or should I take it to a glass company and let them do it?  Thanks, all.
My three favorite boxers:
1905-1974 James J. "Cinderella Man" Braddock
2006 Goldwing Nav
2020 Subaru Forester Touring

snake

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • What a ride it's been!
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2006, 12:47:18 PM »

When ya'll are cutting your shields, remember 2 things...
   Polycarbonate (lexan) shields won't crack and run, but may have a coating on the surface that you have to be careful with. Some will "peel" from the point of the cut. I'm sure lots of you have seen these shields when the coating starts coming off. Sand the cut edge carefully and well.
   If you have a lucite shield like mine, remember that the only reason lucite is used at all is because of its unmatched clarity. It Will CRACK and WILL RUN extremely easy, so don't give it the slighest chance. Using a electric sander may be all the vibration it will take to run a tiny crack from the cut edge, so until you have the cut edge smoothed somewhat using a block and sandpaper, don't use a vibration sander or a rotary sander. Been there done that.
   What kind of saw and blade worked for you?
On Lucite: the finest toothed blade to cut it. Do not "twist" the blade too much in a curve, it will crack!
On Lexan: You will have to use a blade with fewer and bigger teeth than for lucite as Lexan will heat up and "melt" if too much friction/not enough cutting is taking place.
   I would suggest a coping saw for lucite, a jigsaw or coping saw for Lexan.
If using a jig or sabre saw, make sure to put tape over the area where the contact "foot" of the machine makes contact with your shield so it doesn't scratch it.
   By the way...for those of you that have "gradient" colored shields and wake up one day (when someone cruelly points it out to you) that your black shield has now turned to blue...and you get NO satisfaction from Memphis Shades except hearing them tell you that everything fades in the sun and you shouldn't have left it out in the sun, you can always paint the lower portion from the inside the color it was originally, and it will show outside the original color, or pretty close, anyway.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2006, 01:18:45 PM by snake »
:ohwow: signed: A reality-challenged left wingnut!
     420! Yeah, baby!

Tinman

• Old Timer
  • Bridge City
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2006, 12:50:45 PM »

I used a jigsaw with the blade for cutting thin metal. Here is something I learned...
Taped from the bottom up it is easier to peel off later
Use the Blue masking tape (same reason)
To finish the edge DO NOT use a power sander of any type  >:( (don't ask). Just get a firm sanding block and stay on the edge and off  the flat surface.

It smooths out fine. Takes a little time but you will get there.
Make on cut if possible to prevent any extra ridges as they take a while to sand out.
Also if you leave it mounted it works better.
Good luck and get chopping. It is really easy as long as you don't get impatient.

One more thing. If you are nervous just cut part of it the first time as a practice run. I know it's like doing it twice but would you rather buy twice?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2006, 12:54:24 PM by Tinman »

mikeintx

• Tejano
  • kerrville, TX.
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2006, 11:33:18 PM »

you can burn the edges with fire to make them smooth also "like with a hand held propane bottle"
1300s "BLACK"

Tinman

• Old Timer
  • Bridge City
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2006, 12:00:57 AM »

Forgot about that. Tx Cajun says you can also use a heatgun.

Bossman

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2006, 08:01:42 PM »

The easy and sure thing was tape the area and then use a roto zip tool. I tried the sabre saw method on  one and the vibration  made it crack- BIG MISTAKE. but able to save with the roto zip tool. IT's like slicing butter...

Crewsn

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • leander(austin), texas
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2006, 09:35:20 PM »

you can burn the edges with fire to make them smooth also "like with a hand held propane bottle"

this works well and gives a nice smooth surface. also helps prevent cracks and runs from starting by sealing the edge. heat gun will work also but takes a little more time, just take your time either way.
03 1800 C, airbox mod, K&N filter, roadhouse shorty.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal