Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Seat mods ..  (Read 1231 times)

Xwrecker

• Old Timer
Seat mods ..
« on: July 16, 2008, 02:54:46 AM »

Anyone ever try to do their own seat mod?  I was thinking about trying it myself, I got a memory foam pillow laying around from when we bought new mattresses a while back. No one uses the pillow so I thought maybe it should go to my baby. Sho would feel good on those long rides, and alot cheaper doing it "in-house".   Any tips or tricks would be helpful. I watched a video a guy did on replacing a seat cover and another one on shaping a seats foam base, figured... what the heck, I'll give it a shot.  Whats the worse that can happen?  I'll have to buy a new Bigboy or sumthin? :)

Morgan Buchanan

• Texas X Rider OverLord
    • Fantastic Opportunity!  Look and ask me about it!
Re: Seat mods ..
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 05:02:32 AM »

I posted a link to Mean City Cycles on a list that I'm on and a DIY guy I know read over what they said they did, and then went to town on his own seat, and felt that it was like a billion times better...  If they can do it, it obviously can be done.  I don't have any advice other than "go for it!" and let us see how it looks when you're done!  You're butt gets the final vote at any rate.

Butt-ugly isn't an issue if it's not ugly to your butt! :)
My now long gone VTX...

Dusty

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 05:32:20 AM »

I'm pretty sure that's how Bad-x got started. I would think it like cutting a board.....I cut it twice and it's still too short.  ;D

POGOGOLF

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Jeff in GA - '02 1800 C
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 06:20:00 AM »

Anyone ever try to do their own seat mod?  I was thinking about trying it myself, I got a memory foam pillow laying around from when we bought new mattresses a while back. No one uses the pillow so I thought maybe it should go to my baby. Sho would feel good on those long rides, and alot cheaper doing it "in-house".   Any tips or tricks would be helpful. I watched a video a guy did on replacing a seat cover and another one on shaping a seats foam base, figured... what the heck, I'll give it a shot.  Whats the worse that can happen?  I'll have to buy a new Bigboy or sumthin? :)
Actually, it isn't too terribly difficult. I took an electric knife (of course Mrs. P is still a tad ill over that decision) and after removing the cover, cut down the stock "foam" (at this point you can add a gel pad if you like, but I'd cut deeper if I was going that route), then take your time and recover with the original, restaple it and you are done. It does help to have someone with you helping to keep it taut when you start restapling. I rode my X that way for over a year and it was WAY better than the stock setup. JMHO.
Ride Safe!! Jeff in GA <>< I believe in Easter
'02 1800 C model - 57,000 miles and climbing

hipshot

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney, TX
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 06:33:26 AM »

FYI, a grinder and a light touch (obviously, a 4 1/2" grinder would be easier to use than a 7 1/2" grinder) works wonders for shaping out the final contours.
02 1800C

Xwrecker

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 08:15:36 PM »

Think I'm gonna do it, if I can get that electric knife out of the kitchen.   Anyone know a good source for gel pads?  cheap  :-\

skipppy75

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Cypress, TX
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 09:00:16 PM »

http://wwwtemp.texasxriders.com/v/User/skipppy75/

I have done my seat see the pic's

03 1800C bought Aug. 26 and road home 1000+ miles in about 16hrs
05 1300C sold July 21 damaged by 2 deer and road
01 ACE 750 25K miles and sold

elvis441

• Old Timer
  • '06 VTX1800F Spec 2 Dark Red
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008, 09:18:07 PM »

I was too lazy to mod my own seat. Went with an Ultimate X instead... O0

POGOGOLF

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Jeff in GA - '02 1800 C
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2008, 02:24:39 PM »

I was too lazy to mod my own seat. Went with an Ultimate X instead... O0
Well, in the 6 years I've had my X, I've ridden it stock, modified stock, mustang 3 piece and now ultimate 4 piece...each one was an improvement over the one preceeding it.
Ride Safe!! Jeff in GA <>< I believe in Easter
'02 1800 C model - 57,000 miles and climbing

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal