Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: what really is the difference????  (Read 3124 times)

Luckys Lover

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • My other addiction
what really is the difference????
« on: July 09, 2008, 09:32:04 PM »

Ok this is actually Lucky posting under Wayne's log in  :D
I ride a 1300...Wayne rides an 1800...I have been on his 1800 once for about 30 highway miles.  Outside of a more sensitive throttle I didn't really notice a tremendous difference.  Yes the 1800 has more power and likes to go fast a lot easier, but are there really any other major differences?  I am trying to educate my son via long distance occasional phone calls and he is trying to figure out which size bike to go with.  Is there an obvious difference in lower speed manuverability?  Looking for pros and cons of each bike.  Any and all opinions are wanted/needed.
"Lucky" Connie
If stupidity got us into this mess, why can stupidity get us out of it? Will Rogers
I don't care what other people think. They don't do it very often!
Of Course it's dirty. It's hard to clean when the tires keep moving.

skipppy75

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Cypress, TX
Re: what really is the difference????
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 11:10:59 PM »

1300 is lighter and more nimble
1800 is heavier and more powerful

I had a 1300 before I went to the 1800.
I suggest the rider needs to ride to their ability
if not comfortable on bikes start out small and work your way up
you can always buy small then sell when you feel you are ready to move up

I can not stress the importance enough of riding to ones own ability O0

03 1800C bought Aug. 26 and road home 1000+ miles in about 16hrs
05 1300C sold July 21 damaged by 2 deer and road
01 ACE 750 25K miles and sold

crow57

• Old Timer
  • Garland
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 12:26:17 AM »

The 1300 sounds better, because of its single-pin crankshaft...  Has a better "rhythm" to it...

'05 V-Twin, Xtra large 1800 S

Morgan Buchanan

• Texas X Rider OverLord
    • Fantastic Opportunity!  Look and ask me about it!
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 03:45:36 AM »

"better" is a very subjective term.  Different is more accurate.  Some people find that sound aesthetically pleasing, others do not.  The 1300 has more of a "classic motorcycle" sound due to the difference, and the 1800 sounds more like a technologically advanced machine.

The 1300 is carbureted  and the 1800 has Eletronic Fuel injection.  The 1300 has a manual clutch, and the 1800 has a hydrolic clutch.
My now long gone VTX...

Dusty

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 04:35:31 AM »

If he is not buying for bling, get a shadow or something along that line. Good looking bike with enough power to be safe in traffic. And a lot cheaper! If he is wanting to cruise long distance, get a wing. By the time he tricks the 1300 or the 1800 out he could have bought the wing. Don't ask me how I know.  :'(

I know, I'm to practical.

Dusty

Xwrecker

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2008, 08:28:36 AM »

The 1300 sounds better, because of its single-pin crankshaft...  Has a better "rhythm" to it...

+1

Lucky

• Board
  • Elvis
  • Canyon Lake, TX
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2008, 09:06:57 AM »

Well, he is a 20 something male and definately wants a level of bling.  He likes the look of the VTX and of course mommie has convinced him that it is a great reliable bike.  He is going to come home on Friday and ride my 1300 for awhile and see how it fits him, and then we are going to go check out an 1800 and see how that fits him.  I just keep coming back to the belief that you can get use to riding any bike...it's just a matter of usage.  The first miles on the 1800 will be a little unsure, but I think that will be due to not being accustomed to it.  I know I was totally freaked about first riding Wayne's 1800...but ask him, after a few miles I was off and flying with no probs at all.
"Lucky" Connie
'06 Pearl Dark Blue 1300C
If you don't love what you're doing, then don't do it.
Your chances of success are directly proportional to the degree of pleasure you derive from what you do.

twistedrcpilot

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Montgomery Tx. /Lake Conroe TX
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2008, 02:14:33 PM »

Well, he is a 20 something male and definately wants a level of bling.  He likes the look of the VTX and of course mommie has convinced him that it is a great reliable bike.  He is going to come home on Friday and ride my 1300 for awhile and see how it fits him, and then we are going to go check out an 1800 and see how that fits him.  I just keep coming back to the belief that you can get use to riding any bike...it's just a matter of usage.  The first miles on the 1800 will be a little unsure, but I think that will be due to not being accustomed to it.  I know I was totally freaked about first riding Wayne's 1800...but ask him, after a few miles I was off and flying with no probs at all.

The biggest selling feature for me was the hydrolic clutch and the lack of a choke on the 1800.  Whatever the decision, know your limitations.

*Closet Darksider*

Crewsn

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • leander(austin), texas
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2008, 05:25:11 PM »

another big difference between the two are the brakes. 1800 has 2 front rotors and the brake system is linked. 1300 has 1 front rotor and not linked. depending on your sons experience is a key factor in choosing as well. the 1800 weighs in at 750+ lbs and can be unforgiving in low speed situations if not prepared.
03 1800 C, airbox mod, K&N filter, roadhouse shorty.

Chad

• Board
  • Elvis
  • M G, TX.
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2008, 06:22:42 PM »

If he is not buying for bling, get a shadow or something along that line. Good looking bike with enough power to be safe in traffic. And a lot cheaper! If he is wanting to cruise long distance, get a wing. By the time he tricks the 1300 or the 1800 out he could have bought the wing. Don't ask me how I know.  :'(

I know, I'm to practical.

Dusty
  I agree on what Dusty says!! If this is his 1st major bike I would go with a Shadow!! VERY VERY dependable, sounds good, looks good, and can't beat the price either. Now later if he wants a bigger one with a little bit more Ummmmfff go with the 1300 or 1800. At least you will have a good standing with a cruiser under your belt!!  8)
Member since 2004
RIP Torque Dec.18,1975-Apr.29,2009

Lone_Wolfe

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Seattle, WA
    • My Cycle Travels
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2008, 06:48:24 PM »

A guy I work with just started riding and for his first bike he bought the Honda Saber 1100cc. He loves it.
Just another option.

snake

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • What a ride it's been!
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2008, 07:55:10 PM »

Single crank pin = Harleyesque cadence, throaty exhaust note. You cannot make a 1800 sound as "solid" as the 1300. Loud, yes. throaty deep rumble, no.
For the money, I'll say go with the shadow also. They REQUIRE NO...NO VALVE ADJUSTMENTS! You won't get a 2008 though, they D/C'd them 'cause of the 1300. Boy, have they screwed up. The last year model is 2007. Should run about 7 K new. They are bulletproof. The only weak spots are the brakes. Rear Drum!  ??? Single front rotor. They do have (spirit model) hydraulic clutch though. ;D I've put 50 K on one with only maintenance, no covers off except to redo the clutch fluid. ;D They are all but as fast as the 1300, due to the spirits dual crank pin producing more HP per CC than the single pin 1300.

My 2.
:ohwow: signed: A reality-challenged left wingnut!
     420! Yeah, baby!

murray_61

• Board
  • Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Hobe Sound, FL
    • facebook
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2008, 08:01:39 PM »

get a dirtbike, learn and wreck the heck out of it, then get the 1800 and be done with it...  that's what i did...  the 1800 was my first streetbike, and it has never been a problem...  I weigh in at almost half of what the 1800 does though, so I guess that helps throw it around...  Shadows are GREAT bikes, but (imho) not so much for a big dude (me) that's why I went with a big bike...  I rode my father's old v-star a little when I was checking out bikes, but I kind of dwarfed it, and didn't dig that...

David

• Rider
  • I'm back home in TEXAS!
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2008, 03:34:44 PM »

The 1300 has a "cable-actuated" clutch
The 1800 has a hydraulic clutch (no cable to snap while out on the road)

The 1300 has a Single 336mm disc with twin-piston caliper front disk brake
The 1800 has Dual (2) 296mm disk with three-piston caliper (per disk) front brake with integrated "Linked Brake System"
(is the reason I have bought four (4) of these Honda motorcycles - all have had at LEAST the Linked Brake System (2 VTX1800's and the '04 IB Rune all have LBS), the '03 Goldwing has LBS w/ABS and is my favorite bike to get around the country with, including dragging the pegs at Deals Gap!)

The 1300 is a constant velosity (CV) carburator with Manual Choke and 2 spark plugs per cylinder
The 1800 has a fuel pump and is PGM-FI with Automatic Choke (fuel injected) and 2 spark plugs per cylinder

The 1300 front suspension is a 41mm fork
The 1800 front suspension is a 45mm inverted fork
- both bikes have 5.1 inches of travel

The 1300 is a 1,312cc single-pin crankshaft, liquid cooled, 3-valves per cylinder V-Twin 52degree engine - the single pin gives the Harley-Davidson "potatoe, potatoe" exhaust sound
The 1800 is a 1,795cc dual-pin crankshaft (more vibration to deal with because of the engine size, also has a 52-lb. counterbalancer), liquid cooled, 3-valves per cylinder 52degree V-Twin engine

The 1300 weight is between 650 - 670 lbs. with fluids dependant on "C" or "Retro" models (retro weighs most due to the amount of sheet metal for the tank and fenders - "tins")
The 1800 weight is between 750 - 820 lbs. with fluids dependant on "C/F" or "Retro/Retro Tourer/Retro Spoke" or "Neo" models (sheet metal and frame differences in these bikes)

I always say "Buy the biggest bike you can get off the kickstand - because you WILL outgrow anything smaller."   8)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 03:50:31 PM by David »
David

Dusty

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2008, 06:27:24 PM »

I notice something today about the Shadow. They have the fuel cap mounted on the right front corner of the tank so you can max it out while on the stand. Looks a little out of balance with just the one cap but I would still like that feature on my X. I would probably get off when I fuel up if I had that feature on my 1800.  >:(
Pages: [1] 2

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal