Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Honda Moly 60  (Read 2997 times)

heirloom

• Old Timer
  • Tyler, Texas
Honda Moly 60
« on: July 08, 2008, 04:51:44 PM »

Ok gang, the local stealer doesn't even have this stuff in stock!!  Makes a body wonder what they are putting on the final drive spline, huh?   I called another dealer and the mech. said he just uses "plain ol' grease!!"  Good Lord!!!

Does anyone know of a source for this Moly paste?  I will be doing some searching for the Molykote G-n paste from Dow Corning in the meantime.

Update:  In the process of searching, I went to the Dow Corning website and they have an online form you can fill out for a FREE SAMPLE!!  How cool is that??  I was getting all sorts of high dollar quotes for this stuff, but, you can get some sent to your door for free!!!!  Oooorah!

http://www.dowcorning.com/applications/search/products/Details.aspx?prod=01889877&type=PROD
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 05:01:48 PM by heirloom »
Heirloom, MSF Rider Coach
Love my bikes!!!

HeadGuess

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Wills Point, Texas
Re: Honda Moly 60
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 07:26:02 PM »

Can't beat that! Thanks!

Morgan Buchanan

• Texas X Rider OverLord
    • Fantastic Opportunity!  Look and ask me about it!
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 07:31:41 PM »

You can get it from Direct Line Pars... it's not very expensive.  That a Honda dealer has to order it scares the beejeebuz out of me.
My now long gone VTX...

heirloom

• Old Timer
  • Tyler, Texas
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 07:45:47 PM »

You can get it from Direct Line Pars... it's not very expensive.  That a Honda dealer has to order it scares the beejeebuz out of me.

Thanks Morgan.....I forgot about Direct Line, duh.  Still, free to the door beats ordering it for $$$!!  Surely, there is enough in the sample to do the wheel at least once.....since it only takes like .18 ounce.
Love my bikes!!!

Morgan Buchanan

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 07:49:36 PM »

"Thank you for your interest in Dow Corning products. Unfortunately, we do not accept sample requests from private emails addresses."

It seems they want to send samples to businesses, eh?  :) 
My now long gone VTX...

heirloom

• Old Timer
  • Tyler, Texas
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 08:06:54 PM »

Morgan, yeah, I didn't think about that.  Although, I did use my private email address, I did put a business name and application in the provided areas.....not too hard to come up with something they would accept.  Don't know if I will get the sample, but, my request seemed to go through.

For everybody else, here is a great article from calsci regarding the proper lubrication of the final drive spline as well as some sources for the Moly or Krytox.  As you can tell from the article, the so called 'mechanic' that is using plain old grease is an idiot and will be causing you to experience premature failure on your final drive!  It is a good article!!

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Shaft.html
Love my bikes!!!

Lucky

• Board
  • Elvis
  • Canyon Lake, TX
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 08:46:56 PM »

I had put in my personal email, not knowing bout the business preference.  But I had put in my office name and address when I saw they required a company name.  I still got a "Dear John" email from them.
"Lucky" Connie
'06 Pearl Dark Blue 1300C
If you don't love what you're doing, then don't do it.
Your chances of success are directly proportional to the degree of pleasure you derive from what you do.

heirloom

• Old Timer
  • Tyler, Texas
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2008, 09:26:00 PM »

Bummer on the Dear John...........I guess the freebie link wasn't so good after all.   So far, I have not received the Dear John, maybe mine will go through??!!

The link I posted for the calsci site has a number of good references for availability.  I checked a few of them and they seem good.  The best part of all of this is the realization that a number of mech's aren't using the correct lube for the spline.  If nothing else, we know what to ask them about now!!
Love my bikes!!!

Morgan Buchanan

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2008, 05:52:16 AM »

Assuming that they don't use Moly 60 just because they don't stock it could easily be a non sequitur. It's very likely the case that the parts-sales department doesn't carry it for their retail stock, but the shop orders it for their "shop supplies" and with good inventory control, the two different inventories aren't allowed to mix.  So basically they have it in the building, but they don't have it in an inventory that they use to sell retail.  It'd be like asking them for a box of shop rags...the probably don't stock that item, but if you asked, they could probably order it for you, but they wouldn't pull it out of the shop where the guys use it.  Imagine your joy if you brought your bike in for a rear tire and you were told, "Sorry, it's going to be Monday because the parts guys sold the last tube of Moly 60."
My now long gone VTX...

hipshot

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney, TX
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2008, 06:27:39 AM »

I've bought it at a couple of different dealerships in the past; I'm wanting to say Cycle Shack North and Lunsford's. BTW,a couple of years ago I took apart all of my ratchets, cleaned out the original grease, and reassembled them using the moly paste. They all work a whole lot smoother since.
02 1800C

Morgan Buchanan

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2008, 08:22:12 AM »

You have some unique methods for avoiding the honey-do list there, Jim.   O0
My now long gone VTX...

heirloom

• Old Timer
  • Tyler, Texas
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2008, 11:26:10 AM »

You are absolutely right, Morgan.  However, I was basing my comments on the words from the mech that said he uses just 'any ol' grease!'  Now, THAT'S scary.

BTW, I got my confirmation email from Dow this morning, my 80G sample tube is on the way.  Will have to see how that equates to ounces, but, it should be plenty for the 0.18 oz. I need for the wheel.  May even be enough to do my ratchets so I can be like Hipshot!!
 O0 ;D
Love my bikes!!!

Lucky

• Board
  • Elvis
  • Canyon Lake, TX
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2008, 12:07:35 PM »

You are absolutely right, Morgan.  However, I was basing my comments on the words from the mech that said he uses just 'any ol' grease!'  Now, THAT'S scary.

BTW, I got my confirmation email from Dow this morning, my 80G sample tube is on the way.  Will have to see how that equates to ounces, but, it should be plenty for the 0.18 oz. I need for the wheel.  May even be enough to do my ratchets so I can be like Hipshot!!
 O0 ;D
I think 80G is close to 3oz
"Lucky" Connie
'06 Pearl Dark Blue 1300C
If you don't love what you're doing, then don't do it.
Your chances of success are directly proportional to the degree of pleasure you derive from what you do.

DavidJ

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2008, 01:24:30 PM »

1 gram = 0.0352739619 oz

80 g = 2.821916952 oz

Close enough to 3 oz.

David
The engineer
'02 1800C

heirloom

• Old Timer
  • Tyler, Texas
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2008, 01:35:31 PM »

Thanks gentlemen!!  Looks like I will have enough to do mine and a number of others!!!  Anybody need some Moly????  ;D
Love my bikes!!!

Pages: [1] 2

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal