Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: TX HELMET LAW  (Read 5854 times)

sparkp

• Tejano
TX HELMET LAW
« on: June 25, 2008, 11:56:11 AM »

I heard from a friend of mine that they were thinking about reinstating the helmet law in Texas. Has anyone else heard anything about this?

Steve

Big Ace

• Old Timer
Re: TX HELMET LAW
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 12:43:59 PM »

Lifted from the Two-Wheeled Texans site:

http://galvestondailynews.com/story....47e87e2baaafc5

Senator targets motorcycle helmet exemption

By Chris Paschenko
The Daily News

TEXAS CITY — With a record number of Texans becoming licensed and trained to drive motorcycles, the chairman of the state’s Transportation and Homeland Security Committee wants to eliminate the state’s helmet law exemption.

State Sen. John Carona, R-Dallas, said he believes restoring mandatory helmet requirements for all would reduce the number of riders injured or killed in accidents.

Carona said his 2007 bill, which attempted to increase the medical insurance coverage requirement to $150,000, was soundly defeated.

Carona said he’ll reintroduce a bill that he hopes will abolish Texas’ helmet exemption or increase tenfold the medical insurance requirement.
Wayne R.

Big Ace - Silver 2006 Honda VTX 1800C - now with BadX seat, Paladin Sissy Bar, and Cobra Deluxe Slashcuts

Iron Horses Grazing - photo by my son Kev

murray_61

• Board
  • Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Hobe Sound, FL
    • facebook
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 01:27:15 PM »

It's doubtful...

Railroader

• Old Timer
  • ORANGE is the fastest color!
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 03:01:46 PM »

I wouldn't think they would want to risk pissing off so many potential voters during an election year.

xcaliber

• Board
  • Elvis
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 03:45:50 PM »

I think it's agood idea to wear a helmet, I think it's a good idea to wear a seat belt, I think it's a good idea to put your kids in a child saftey seat, I think it's a good idea to not allow people to ride in the back of a truck...... I KNOW it's a bad idea to make any of this crap a law. Don't the cops have enough to do trying to protect us from the bad guys now the politicos want them to protect us from ourselves! More govt. intrusion into our private lives. Vote Libertarian
It's all just part of the adventure!

zoomie

• Rider
  • USAF Security Forces MSgt (Ret.) 1987-2007
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008, 04:56:09 PM »

I'm with XCaliber on this one!!!
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr

Swampfox

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2008, 08:12:52 PM »

What that L word mean ;D :-\

snake

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • What a ride it's been!
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2008, 09:55:24 PM »

Libertarian= swampangels Swampy. ;D Remember that at the election!
:ohwow: signed: A reality-challenged left wingnut!
     420! Yeah, baby!

LoneWolf

• Tejano
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2008, 06:59:49 AM »

It's just another attempt to to pass biased legislation. If they passed a law banning the use of cell phones while driving, gotta wonder how many accidents we would have then (I'm guessing about 1/3 less) People actually paying attention to the road and fewer sudden lane changes that crush or run a bike off the road. Nah.... we can't have that around here, it makes sense.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

snake

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • What a ride it's been!
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2008, 08:35:27 AM »

They never made it illegal to smoke and drive...They should pass that one way before the cell phone law. ;)
:ohwow: signed: A reality-challenged left wingnut!
     420! Yeah, baby!

xcaliber

• Board
  • Elvis
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2008, 03:44:58 PM »

They pass laws that divide and conquor. If you don't ride, you don't care. Next it might be a tax on large yachts, if you don't have one , you don't care. People only care if it is their ox that's getting gored.
It's all just part of the adventure!

Dusty

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2008, 05:07:07 PM »

They never made it illegal to smoke and drive...They should pass that one way before the cell phone law. ;)

What are you, a butt magnet?  ;D :D ;D

LOL, I'm all for the cig. thing John, they stink but it's a subconscious action, talking on the phone requires thought and that distracts from watching the road. Take them both out.  O0

murray_61

• Board
  • Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Hobe Sound, FL
    • facebook
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2008, 06:24:11 PM »

no cell phone while driving in new mexico, at least in Albquqerque, but they still got a hellatious insurance rate there in Albuquerque because of so many wrecks...  I was there for a bit just a little while back, and those crazy TarterSaucers don't need nothing distracting them, they can't drive worth a flip to begin with...  I was thankful that I was no where near my bike, but in a rental car with the insurance...   :o

RSWhite

• Old Timer
  • Frisco Tx
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2008, 06:50:58 PM »

I'm with Xcal also.  I'll never ride without one and I will encourage
everyone to do the same, but I'd never take away your choice...

2004 1800 Retro Spoke, Spec3, Black/Cherry
"Protect the ones you love...  wear a helmet"

vtxcrzr

• Old Timer
  • New Braunfels, TX Black 1800C
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2008, 01:06:43 PM »

I am all for freedom of choice but don't make me pay for some elses poor choices.  Insurance rates are based in part on the horrendous medical cost of motorcycle related head injuries.  If you don't want to wear a helmet then just carry a nonhelmet add on to your policy and keep my rates based on my reduced risk head injury because I wear a helmet.
Pages: [1] 2

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal