Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Snow's Barbecue  (Read 3653 times)

bayou-biker

• Old Timer
  • Richmond, TX
Re: Snow's Barbecue
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2008, 02:15:21 PM »

The bbq at Luis Mueller's was so-so, and expect Snow's to be much better. We have a joint in Richmond called the Swinging Door which is really good, and I use it as a baseline for other bbq places.

It was really a great ride, except when I tried to lead. I only tried twice, and both times turned into catastrophies.

The first time, I got a ticket in the middle on nowhere with no traffic of any kind....except for a solitary Washington Co Sherriff. Not just any ticket, but reckless driving, and he gave me a break by not taking me to jail (94 in a 65 is considered reckless driving). He also gave us a break by not giving anyone else a ticket (deja-vu of the Oasis ride).

I'm screwed and am thinking on getting a lawyer after two tickets in less than a month. Appreciate any suggestions on a good traffic ticket lawyer. I was already in the middle of applying for Driver Safety Training to resolve the first ticket. Now that's for nothing by getting this one.

The second time I tried to lead was while riding David's beautiful FZ1 (we swapped bikes). I came over a rise on a remote rode to meet a "Y" with a half-ton of gravel in the middle, and no time for my small brain to decide which leg to take.

I ended up getting caught in the gravel, and not wanting to put on the brakes, rode thru it into this poor lady's yard to avoid a large oak tree that was at the juntion of the "Y". Well, her front yard had about 8 trees that I was trying to dodge, the lady kept screaming "get out of my yard", and every time I tried to apply the brakes on the long grass, the bike would fish-tail.

Then it got surreal....it looked like I was going to make it -  I was getting all pumped up and happy thinking I was going to beat this - I had a flashback to my Jr. high-school football days of running to the end zone, with the screaming old lady mutating into a cheer leader and the crowd yelling when I saw a fence on the other side of her driveway which I was coming up on too quickly.

So I tried to turn the bike somehow to see if I could get around the end of the fence while slowing the momentum down a bit. Well, I dropped the bike, and in slow motion, slid it on its side on the grass into the very last tree....

It cracked the front fairing in multiple places, broke the two headlights, and scratched the front fender when it slid into the tree on its side..... :'(

It hurts to think what I did to David's beautiful FZ1. I feel sooooo bad, and will make it right if its the last thing I do. Needless to say, I will not be leading any ride again.

Oh, and for good measure, my nice, expensive, after-market fender-eliminator license plate & inspection sticker frame broke off, and is lying in the middle of a FM or Hwy somewhere around Bastrop.

Talk about an expensive lunch !  :o

2002 VTX1800C Red, BigShots, Thunder Tear Drop, PCIII -CA
2003 Z1000 - Two Brothers, Airbox mod, PCIII -TX
2001 ZRX1200R - Ivan's Jets, Akrapovic, K&N Pods, Racetech -TX
2001 ZRX1200R - Dynojet, Muzzy, Racetech, Ohlins -TX
2002 XR650L - Mikuni HSR42 carb, XR's Only complete exhaust system -TX

jmdaniel

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • My other toy, '77 FJ40...
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2008, 02:28:19 PM »

Holy crap! To (kinda) paraphrase Bill Murray in "Stripes", I don't want to party with you guys....

Bummer.

Talking about tickets on an Oasis ride, I only rode with H-town folks out to the Oasis once, but was kinda laughing afterwards, as we headed out to Marble Falls, and most everyone was screaming through Jonestown at 85-90. No one got pulled over, but NO ONE rides through Jonestown that fast. It's all fun and games, until Mr. Officer gets involved...  ??? :o ;)
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
-- Unknown

2016 Honda F6B Deluxe
2007 Yamaha FJR1300A
2003 Honda VTX 1300

DavidJ

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2008, 03:04:46 PM »

Ron,

Looks like I missed the fun on the last part of the ride. :( :)  Sorry to David about his bike and sorry to you about the misfourtune of the weekend.

Hope to see you on your X in the East Texas ride on the 28th.

David
'02 1800C

RedDragon

• Master of Monumental Proportions
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2008, 03:33:08 PM »

I am just glad Ron made it home alive. :o And the old lady turned out to be very nice after she found out Ron wasn't trying to do burnouts in her yard.  ;D ;D ;D

2005 VTX 1800C Red Tribal Flame
2005 Yamaha FZ1 Silver

bayou-biker

• Old Timer
  • Richmond, TX
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2008, 03:50:26 PM »

The really strange part is that I purposely did not lead during most of the ride to avoid a ticket, and waited for one of the remotest part of the route to "play".

When others were leading at same (or higher speeds), nothing happened - it was just a black cloud day for me, even though I really enjoyed the ride. I just need to never lead - I'm not a leader  :D

I wanted to mention that I was glad David and Swampy were there to provide me (thankfully only) moral support.

I will definitely be on the East TX ride......on my VTX.

Swampfox

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2008, 02:54:09 AM »

I was on the seen within seconds to help Ron sweet talking the nice lady and stand the bike upright, she must have thought I was somebody famous cause she said to me who are you. Ron and I talked to her like we were her long lost friends and then I asked her for some water so I could take a pill. And that's about it.  David thought she had a crush on me  ;D  I tryed many times to catch them but the roads were just to much for the VTX.  Good thing Ron's "got his wings"  ;D  Sorry David W. about your bike!  I guess it will be alright and it may have just saved your life, cause the next ride you'll be on a Honda.  That's two rides in a roll I've been on and somebody went down.  :(  but both walk away flapping their wings and looking at their rings.  O0

hipshot

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney, TX
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2008, 06:21:10 AM »

Jeeze Ron, I thought that broad in the BMW was supposed to be your last wreck.......
02 1800C

McLovin

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2008, 07:36:15 AM »

Ron... You can ride my bike any time  you want... i'm glad you are ok...  O0   Sorry to hear about david's bike.

sherri

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • The Woodlands
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2008, 12:58:23 PM »

holy crap Ron glad to hear you are ok.

Sherri
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 02:33:58 PM by sherri »

If you ever see me with horns sticking out of my helmet
call an ambulance  .  .  .  .    I’ve hit a deer

bayou-biker

• Old Timer
  • Richmond, TX
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2008, 02:03:54 PM »

thanks for all the kind words from everyone - good lessons learnt that I need to maintain

another coincedence is that both tickets were in Washington Co. - happy to be supporting their budget challenges

and Jim, that incident with the BMW was my attempt at a new technique for meeting girls, so it doesn't count  ;)

j1mmyj4m

• The Shocker
  • Administrator
  • Master of Monumental Proportions
  • Deer Park, Tx
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2008, 03:00:07 PM »

Ron, you need a new technique of answering text messages. :P
Chunk the llama.

bayou-biker

• Old Timer
  • Richmond, TX
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2008, 04:42:54 PM »

currently experimenting using my tongue  :P

bayou-biker

• Old Timer
  • Richmond, TX
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2008, 08:38:19 AM »

for anyone's reference, here's the phone number for Snow's BBQ
979-542-8189
call by Wednesday before the respective Saturday you want to visit

Lucky

• Board
  • Elvis
  • Canyon Lake, TX
    • Facebook
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2008, 12:15:03 PM »

Ron, I am a little behind the times since Wayne and I have been out of town...I am so sorry to hear about the tickets and the dropped bike, but extremely happy to hear that you walked away from it.
"Lucky" Connie
'06 Pearl Dark Blue 1300C
If you don't love what you're doing, then don't do it.
Your chances of success are directly proportional to the degree of pleasure you derive from what you do.

bayou-biker

• Old Timer
  • Richmond, TX
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2008, 12:43:20 PM »

Thanks Lucky - it seems that it takes multiple/simultaneous calamities for a hard-headed fool to learn his lesson - I consider myself fortunate it was not anymore serious than the major financial hit I'm taking.

I am one of the safest driver/rider on the road since then.....
Pages: 1 [2] 3

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal