Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: de-smog help in Dallas (Lewisville), anyone?  (Read 3557 times)

Morgan Buchanan

• Texas X Rider OverLord
    • Fantastic Opportunity!  Look and ask me about it!
de-smog help in Dallas (Lewisville), anyone?
« on: June 29, 2006, 08:23:00 AM »

I want to do the de-smog.  I don't like the decel popping.  It annoys the hell out of me.  I'm willing to pay to have it done by someone competent, or if there's someone who is just good and liked doing crap, I'm more than willing to help and feed someone.  :)  I emailed, PM'd and IM'd Tapper several times, but never get a reply.  Anyone?
My now long gone VTX...

RobDogg

• Old Timer
  • Sanger, TX (North Denton)
Re: de-smog help in Dallas (Lewisville), anyone?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2006, 09:38:17 AM »

You can bring it up to my place sometime and I'll help ya do it.
RobDogg

"No Child Should Live In Fear"
link--> B.A.C.A - Bikers Against Child Abuse

'03 1800C - Customized by me, for me, the way I want it.

Dusty

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2006, 09:49:56 AM »

I want to do the de-smog.  I don't like the decel popping.  It annoys the hell out of me.  I'm willing to pay to have it done by someone competent, or if there's someone who is just good and liked doing crap, I'm more than willing to help and feed someone.  :)  I emailed, PM'd and IM'd Tapper several times, but never get a reply.  Anyone?

I did the desmog and still had the popping. Snake (John) had recommended several times in different post about decell popping, to simply roll the throttle completely closed instead of just letting go of the throttle and letting it close on it's own. It doesn't close completely. I finally remembered to try this and it worked for me. I sort of like the decell popping sometimes but I'm one egg short of a full dozen. What's really amazing is that John was right!  :D ;D ;D

j/k John  O0

RobDogg

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2006, 10:03:45 AM »

It doesn't close completely

If it doesn't close completely by letting go of the throttle then I would suspect your cables are adjusted wrong.  The VTX has a heavy throttle spring and should pull it closed plenty quick and fully if you let go.  But a tight cable can hold it open.

Dusty is definitely right though, just doing the desmog may not get rid of the popping completely.  If a person holds the throttle slightly open on decel (like I have a habit of doing since I do a little bit of engine braking) it will still pop some.  The pop is unburt fuel igniting in the exhaust headers. The system works essentially like the old smog pumps on cars. It pumps fresh air into the exhaust to facilitate combustion in the headers.
RobDogg

snake

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • What a ride it's been!
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2006, 12:16:59 PM »

What's really amazing is that John was right!  :D ;D ;D j/k John  O0

Coming from you, that's high praise indeed!! ;D O0
:ohwow: signed: A reality-challenged left wingnut!
     420! Yeah, baby!

bIgPrO

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Houston, South Side
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2006, 12:23:03 PM »

I am by no means speaking for Tapper but he has been remodling his house and has been super busy. Brian has a deadline date so he hasn't even been on the board.
Bigbear
NO X :(

07 Big Bear Chopper
300 rear tire, 44 degree rake,
S&S 100 Smooth,BBC Tornado Air Kit,V-Twin Pirate footpegs, 191/4 seat height

Morgan Buchanan

• Texas X Rider OverLord
    • Fantastic Opportunity!  Look and ask me about it!
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2006, 12:45:53 PM »

I understand busy, that's all cool.  I wasn't slamming the guy, just saying I couldn't get ahold of him several different ways.

RobDogg, what part of town you live in?
My now long gone VTX...

RobDogg

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2006, 12:59:46 PM »

RobDogg, what part of town you live in?
I'm not next door but I'm not that far. Sanger - North on 35 just past Denton. (I'm in Denton county) It'd be 35-40 minute ride for you and the last 3/10ths of a mile is unpaved (in case that's an issue).  This weekend is pretty much a no-go but we could figger somethin' out.
RobDogg

Dusty

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2006, 01:25:14 PM »

Well John, I figured I should shove some praise your way for being right. After all, you were right all along but it took me two years to remember to try your suggestion.  :-\
I also assumed my throttle was closing all the way too. Guess I need to look into that...Thanks Robdogg!  O0

I talked to a guy the other day that said he sold his X because of the decel pop.  :(  He said he had tried everything to get rid of the popping and it wouldn't stop. When I told him about rolling the throttle closed he got a sick look on his face. I don't think he believed me.

Another guy told me he sold his X because as he put it "It's impossible to slow ride on an X." I ask him what he meant by slow ride (I was thinking 2-5 mph and he said 20 - 25 mph. I told him I didn't have a problem with it and ask him what he got in place of the X, he pointed to a GoldWing Trike. He said he didn't have a problem slow riding on it at all.  He claimed to have been riding for 30 plus years. I didn't ask any more questions.  8)

snake

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • What a ride it's been!
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2006, 01:32:00 PM »

Yeah Dusty, some things and some people just need to "float" till they reach the level that suits them. O0
:ohwow: signed: A reality-challenged left wingnut!
     420! Yeah, baby!

RobDogg

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2006, 01:38:01 PM »

[Another guy told me he sold his X because as he put it "It's impossible to slow ride on an X." I ask him what he meant by slow ride (I was thinking 2-5 mph and he said 20 - 25 mph. I told him I didn't have a problem with it and ask him what he got in place of the X, he pointed to a GoldWing Trike. He said he didn't have a problem slow riding on it at all.  He claimed to have been riding for 30 plus years. I didn't ask any more questions.  8)

I believe that, I have the hardest time riding at 40mph.  In the right gear you're in the early part of the power band so every throttle adjustment jerks the bike, and in the next gear you're lugging way too hard so it shakes when you try to accellerate.  And if have slack in the throttle cables it's even worse!

But when I first read that I thought it was going to say he couldn't drive under 80.. I also have a hard time with driving .... 'slow'...  O0 O0
« Last Edit: June 29, 2006, 01:47:09 PM by RobDogg »
RobDogg

thriftmaster

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2006, 04:12:58 PM »

I'm not even a pimple on Tapper's arss when it comes to wrenchin but I've done two de-smogs and three valve adjustments with no problems. I won't do it for you but I'll sure watch over you and tell you what to do, step by step if you want to bring it over to my house in The Colony. It's pretty easy thanks to the fine folks on here that provide excellent directions.
You'll need to buy the block off plates from HDL before hand.

SouthernXer

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • BRAD Allen, Texas
    • Me playing music
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2006, 05:19:24 PM »

I am in Allen and can help walk you through it too.....  O0

quietguy

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2006, 08:38:01 PM »

I'm not next door but I'm not that far. Sanger - North on 35 just past Denton. (I'm in Denton county) It'd be 35-40 minute ride for you and the last 3/10ths of a mile is unpaved (in case that's an issue).  This weekend is pretty much a no-go but we could figger somethin' out.

I've also tried messaging Tapper but automatically assumed he's tied up. 

I'm expecting my 'N' to arrive soon and one of the first things I'd like to attend to is the "Ground Fix".  Are you expert on this also, Rob?

Lennie

RobDogg

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2006, 08:58:39 AM »

I've also tried messaging Tapper but automatically assumed he's tied up. 

I'm expecting my 'N' to arrive soon and one of the first things I'd like to attend to is the "Ground Fix".  Are you expert on this also, Rob?

Lennie

I've done my fair share of them. Takes an hour or two to do it right, not much work, just have to pull the tank (or at least lift it and tilt it out of the way for a little bit)
RobDogg

Pages: [1] 2

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal