Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Throttle Stuck! (updated!!!)  (Read 3997 times)

murray_61

• Board
  • Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Hobe Sound, FL
    • facebook
Throttle Stuck! (updated!!!)
« on: May 17, 2008, 10:33:45 PM »

I posted up last night, but was in no condition to be posting so I deleted it this morning...

I got home from the bar last night and found that someone had knocked my bike over and it was laying on its right side...  No cosmetic damage except the throttle grip.  It was laying on the throttle, floorboard & saddlebags.

I pulled the grip off of the throttle sleeve, and the sleeve gets stuck.  I can roll the throttle both ways, but it won't roll back (throttle down) by itself.  I got a police report and took lot's of pics since I have full coverage on it.  I'm going to talk to them, and hopefully take it into the shop on Tuesday.  Gotta do something before BBT...

Just wondering if anyone has ever laid 'er over and had throttle trouble like this.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 06:05:49 PM by murray_61 »

Dusty

Re: Throttle Stuck!
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008, 07:02:42 AM »

I hit a dog once and messed up my throttle. It was ok for a while but in just a few days, it started dragging. (hanging up) Took it apart to find a chip from the sleeve had come loose and was binding at times. It could also be that landing like that forced everything together and it's binding against the brake and mirror assembly. Same principle as a cruise control.

Good Luck, hope you find the $&%$ that knocked it over.

Bill

SouthernXer

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • BRAD Allen, Texas
    • Me playing music
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 07:07:19 AM »

Man, that sucks.  Bill is probably right.   O0  Get it back together soon and glad you weren't riding it home from what it sounds.   ;D  O0

Luckys Lover

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • My other addiction
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2008, 04:12:40 PM »

Lucky's bike was blown over by the wind and fell on it's throttle. I had to take the cap off and dig out rest of the plastic that the cap screws into just to get her throttle to operate smoothly.

You see the throttle cap just screws onto the throttle sleeve but when it fell over the cap kinda survived by breaking the sleeve. Pieces were jammed against the grip causing the throttle to stick.  Once you get the bad pieces out, cover the opening with some black electrical tape to keep out the dirt until you get it to the stealership.

And I hope to get to castrate the guy who knocked it over. >:( >:(
If stupidity got us into this mess, why can stupidity get us out of it? Will Rogers
I don't care what other people think. They don't do it very often!
Of Course it's dirty. It's hard to clean when the tires keep moving.

skipppy75

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Cypress, TX
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 06:50:58 PM »

look at it this way
Good thing you were not riding when the throttle got stuck

be safe and get it fixed quick

03 1800C bought Aug. 26 and road home 1000+ miles in about 16hrs
05 1300C sold July 21 damaged by 2 deer and road
01 ACE 750 25K miles and sold

murray_61

• Board
  • Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Hobe Sound, FL
    • facebook
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2008, 07:10:13 PM »

After market grips...  You can see on the (right hand side looking at the picture) grip that it bowed out a little from the impact.  I took the grip off and straightened it out pretty easily (squeezed it real hard) but the end of it is dinged up, I needed a reason to get the kury-iso grips anyway.

Took the housing apart today, looks like the grip banged against it pretty hard, and bent it a little...  it is squeezing down on the piece of the throttle sleeve that holds the 2 cables.  I lubed it up with a little moly paste I had laying around, and it fixed it for a minute.  I hope they got a housing in stock somewhere here. 

Do the Kury grips come with a throttle sleeve?  it cracked the throttle sleeve slightly, so I want to replace it as well.  Also, does anyone have any comments about a throttle lock to go with the kury-iso grips?

RedDragon

• Master of Monumental Proportions
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2008, 08:40:44 PM »

After market grips...  You can see on the (right hand side looking at the picture) grip that it bowed out a little from the impact.  I took the grip off and straightened it out pretty easily (squeezed it real hard) but the end of it is dinged up, I needed a reason to get the kury-iso grips anyway.

Took the housing apart today, looks like the grip banged against it pretty hard, and bent it a little...  it is squeezing down on the piece of the throttle sleeve that holds the 2 cables.  I lubed it up with a little moly paste I had laying around, and it fixed it for a minute.  I hope they got a housing in stock somewhere here. 

Do the Kury grips come with a throttle sleeve?  it cracked the throttle sleeve slightly, so I want to replace it as well.  Also, does anyone have any comments about a throttle lock to go with the kury-iso grips?

No they do not come with the throttle sleeve. I do not use a throttle lock, but I think the iso throttle boss works very well.

2005 VTX 1800C Red Tribal Flame
2005 Yamaha FZ1 Silver

murray_61

• Board
  • Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Hobe Sound, FL
    • facebook
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2008, 05:16:21 PM »

Ain't nobody here (Midland/Odessa) got anything in stock...  Not even Cran-Apple grips!  Called around, and they could me the throttle side housing sometime next week for $77...  Honda Directline came through with both sides in chrome overnighted for $85 total. 

I am still a bit worried about the slight crack in the throttle sleeve, but I'm going to kick it down to BBT anyway!

Swampfox

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2008, 07:29:43 PM »

Lucky's bike was blown over by the wind and fell on it's throttle. I had to take the cap off and dig out rest of the plastic that the cap screws into just to get her throttle to operate smoothly.

You see the throttle cap just screws onto the throttle sleeve but when it fell over the cap kinda survived by breaking the sleeve. Pieces were jammed against the grip causing the throttle to stick.  Once you get the bad pieces out, cover the opening with some black electrical tape to keep out the dirt until you get it to the stealership.

And I hope to get to castrate the guy who knocked it over. >:( >:(

Swampy's Angelhair on the bottom of your bikes will protect from these kinda things.  :o

Morgan Buchanan

• Texas X Rider OverLord
    • Fantastic Opportunity!  Look and ask me about it!
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2008, 07:48:46 AM »

I know it's $$$$$$ but the BrakeAway throttle lock does rock with the kury iso grips.  And there is an Direct Line sale this weekend... so you could save $20 that way.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 07:51:43 AM by Morgan Buchanan »
My now long gone VTX...

murray_61

• Board
  • Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Hobe Sound, FL
    • facebook
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2008, 06:23:46 PM »

got the parts in this morning thanks to Honda DirectLine, and just put 'em on an hour ago.  Everything is good, but for some reason my turn signal switch is sticking now...  anyone got an idea what's up with that?  I tried loosening the screw that holds it a little bit, but it seemed to put it at a bad angel...

I look into the breakaway, wanna get a throttle lock before the trip to colorado...

Bomber

• Old Timer
  • 03' 1800R slightly modded......
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2008, 11:37:56 PM »

Too bad the bat rastard that knocked your bike over couldn't have been under your handle bar as it came down!  Good luck on it all.

murray_61

• Board
  • Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Hobe Sound, FL
    • facebook
Re: Throttle Stuck! (a second BENT-ing time!)
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2008, 05:58:47 PM »

What a glorious morning, I was still tired from BBT & getting in at midnight monday night (although BBT was glorious) and I walked out to my parking lot this morning (1 week and 3 days since the photo above) around 7:30am and I find this:

It turns out we got some jerk off out here that obviously doesn't like motorcycles.  There was another bike about 100yds. down the parking lot that was knocked over as well.  I feel better knowing its not a personal vendetta against me (I stayed away from the crazy women and haven't pissed anyone off here yet) but I will be camping out in my truck the next few nights ready to get in some trouble if I catch the guy.  I got the grip kind of straighted out again, and it just so happen to turn out that it fit right on the end of a lead pipe that I had laying around...

Dusty

Re: Throttle Stuck! (updated!!!)
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2008, 06:16:22 PM »

Make sure the bone head knows why he got killed before you hit him the last time.  O0

j1mmyj4m

• The Shocker
  • Administrator
  • Master of Monumental Proportions
  • Deer Park, Tx
Re: Throttle Stuck! (updated!!!)
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2008, 06:24:24 PM »

Keep us posted if you catch him. O0
Chunk the llama.
Pages: [1] 2 3

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal