Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: South Padre Island Info Needed  (Read 1104 times)

tejasx

South Padre Island Info Needed
« on: May 16, 2008, 12:28:40 PM »

Thinking of going to South Padre late June (Flying In) If you have been, is it worth the trip and where did you stay.  I priced some places online and I can go to the Caribbean for about 400 more.  But, I have lived in Tx all my life and never been to the south end. 

What is the water like there?  Is it on the clear side or murky?

JGomez55

• Old Timer
  • Lovin Life....!
Re: South Padre Island Info Needed
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 01:13:38 PM »

Born and raised in the area, there are some motel 6 and less expensive places to stay on the island or before you cross the bridge. Water is cool to warm there is a drive on beach and a walking beach depends what you are up to. Radisson hotel is normall where I stay at when I am back in town and is right on the beach front, also the holiday-inn express.

there is a small mall, and theater, many places to eat, night life ... AMBERJACKS is the place to go also tom and jerrys or the shrimphaus next to Schlitterbahn.

That time of year is good manu tourist go there from both sides of the border.

Best time to go for me is during October bike fest rally AWESOME....!!!

Let me know if you need more info...
Joe Cool...8)

tejasx

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 01:29:58 PM »

Thanks for the info

JGomez55

• Old Timer
  • Lovin Life....!
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 03:02:01 PM »

Oh yeah water is semi murky not much and is good to wade in on the bay side. If you like fishing you can rent a boat with boat capitan and they garuntee you catch something....both Deap sea or bay fishing...there is a dolphin watch boat trip for $15 - 20... good for just going out to sea for sight seeing...

did I mention many shops to buy those nick and nacks..

I do believe during the summer every friday night there is a firework show on the bay side of the island you can kick back at the deck area in AMBERJACKS with some tropical drink (or shots) and enjoy the view.

recalling good memories is all.....Thanks for the trip back in time.....
Joe Cool...8)

MRVTX

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Magnolia, TX
    • What I do...
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 02:33:36 PM »

Padre is awesome!  I took Lori there a couple of years ago for her birthday.  We stayed at a condo a couple of blocks in from the ocean side...it was very nice & reasonably priced.

We did horseback riding on the bay side, and parasailing on the ocean side.  We pigged out at Amberjacks on their seafood buffet...crab legs!!!!

You can rent dune buggies to ride around the island, but they were kind of pricey for our budget.  We did, however, drive my Tribute up the north end of the island.  That was scary, as we would pass vehicles that became stranded in deep sand.  I eventually stopped when we got to a point where the sand had no more tire tracks ahead...I didn't want to have to wait to be pulled out.  We stopped right next to an old ship that is partially sunk right off the beach.  The reason we drove up the island is because there are rumors that pirate ships of long ago had wrecked on the far north end of the island...and some people claim that old gold coins and other treasures can be found there if you're lucky.  We want to go back and rent a dune buggy for the day or weekend and try our luck again.

After we got back home, I went to clean the car and found huge amounts of sand under the hood.  Occasionally, I'll still find some in there.

VTreX

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Rubythroatedhumming VT-reX Temple TX
    • http://www.patriotguard.org/photos/listpics.asp?a=show&ID=395
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2008, 03:15:21 PM »

Can you ride a 4-wheeler on the beach?   O0 ;D ;D 8)
03-C U-green It is neither those in the round nor the square that reach the top, but those in the spiral.... Now have added a red ''07 Gold Wing with everything except an AIRBAG!!  SOLD THE WING  SAD DAY!!

JGomez55

• Old Timer
  • Lovin Life....!
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2008, 03:27:53 PM »

NO, the park rangers and game warden are out ther and will not let you go into the sand dunes, not even with a dirt bike. You can only ride on the designated path along the ocean wave limits. you can keep going as far as you can but is risky if you get stuck out there not many people go too far.

I hear there is a nude beach further north from the main area but never have confirmed that......
Joe Cool...8)

MRVTX

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Magnolia, TX
    • What I do...
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2008, 04:38:24 PM »

I hear there is a nude beach further north from the main area but never have confirmed that......

Been there, passed that!  All we saw was a piece of concrete with "Nude Beach" written in spray paint.  Bummer...

tejasx

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2008, 04:39:51 PM »

NO, the park rangers and game warden are out ther and will not let you go into the sand dunes, not even with a dirt bike. You can only ride on the designated path along the ocean wave limits. you can keep going as far as you can but is risky if you get stuck out there not many people go too far.

I hear there is a nude beach further north from the main area but never have confirmed that...... I as  much as I would like to view a nude beach, seen many in the Carribean, I notg go there, I might kill off all the wild life when the shorts come off.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 04:48:04 PM by tejasx »

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal