Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: flipface helmet  (Read 2635 times)

sherri

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • The Woodlands
flipface helmet
« on: June 26, 2006, 04:47:09 PM »

I am looking at the buying a KBC flipface helmet, does anyone have one? (I know that they are not Snell approved)You are supposed to be able to ride with it up to about 80mph with out any dragging. Likes or dislikes?

Also does anyone have another flip face and do you think that you would use this option? My main reason for getting one would probably be for stops. 

Thanks

Sherri

If you ever see me with horns sticking out of my helmet
call an ambulance  .  .  .  .    I’ve hit a deer

ConnRadd

• Old Timer
  • Houston, Tx (Willowbrook Area)
    • Photo Gallery
Re: flipface helmet
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2006, 04:59:48 PM »

I am looking at the buying a KBC flipface helmet, does anyone have one? (I know that they are not Snell approved)You are supposed to be able to ride with it up to about 80mph with out any dragging. Likes or dislikes?

Also does anyone have another flip face and do you think that you would use this option? My main reason for getting one would probably be for stops. 

Thanks

Sherri

I have HJC and KBC. The KBC has more noise than the HJC, but the KBC kits better and much easier to open and close. If I had to buy between the HJC vs the KBC; I would pick the KBC...
2006 M109R Silver
2004 VTX 1300c Candy Apple Red (SOLD)

http://www.myspace.com/mspraberry

BIG A

• Master Tejano Rider
  • belton texas 06Goldwing 06KTM 450 08 KTM 690E
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2006, 06:35:00 PM »

i have the nolan and i really like it, i ride with the front up a lot and it really does not drag. it has a good fit and is really quiet.
YOU DON'T QUIT RIDING WHEN YOU GET OLD---YOU GET OLD WHEN YOU QUIT RIDING

HeadGuess

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Wills Point, Texas
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2006, 06:56:17 PM »

I have a Nolan also and I really like it. You can get one at Dennis Kirk off the net. I bought one on closeuot and give $76.00 for it. It was originally $303.00. Use the link below.

www.denniskirk.com

RD

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Just another Joe in San Antonio
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2006, 07:06:07 PM »

I wore out a HJC Cy-Max, so I thought I'd try something different. I bought a KBC with flames to match my bike. I had it on the RAT Ride, and it started falling apart. The flow vents at the base of the neck, is a one pc unit, and keep coming out. The flip face mechanism came loose inside, and would not close properly. The right side stuck out about 3/8" and made wind noise.
I had it less than 30 days, so they took it back in exchange. I bought another Cy-Max, exactly like I had before.
Another proud owner of 2 1800's
04' Honda VTX 1800C
08' Honda GL1800 Goldwing

Tank

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2006, 09:54:45 PM »

I have the HJC and it is ok for the cost. The Nolan is the winner on the flip-ups, so I have read.

HJC is 130.00
Nolan...375.00 forgot which model.

pacrat

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Cypress,Texas
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2006, 10:08:24 PM »

Never could get them to go over my glasses w/out killing the nose and ears,and bending the frames.  Taking the glasses off didn't help either.  Could not get them back on underneath.  Besides, the full helmets are too heavy for my spindly neck. LOL

VT-XS

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2006, 05:39:29 AM »

I bought an HJC "flip face" a couple of years ago. At the time it cost about 240 dollars. I had the bike parked in a gravel driveway with that helmet propped on a mirror approximately 30-36 inches above the ground. The visor was up or open. The helmet fell to the ground and the visor became misaligned at the hinges and would not close correctly.

It alarmed me that a "crash" helmet was rendered defective after a 30" fall.....open position or not. I never fixed it and bought a full face. Now I am debating a more expensive full face with carbon fibers and so forth, more quiet, better venting.

In the summer I don't notice a lot of difference in comfort between the full face with visor up and the flip face with the face up.

The HJC Flip face had a lot of wind resistance on the visor (in the open position) at 60 mph +. It tossed my head around
and I could feel the stress at the base of my neck after a while. Other helmets may be better about this but I don't see how it would ever be eliminated.

Hope that helps any.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2006, 06:30:36 AM by VT-XS »
YOU CAN ONLY BE YOUNG ONCE, BUT YOU CAN BE IMMATURE YOUR ENTIRE LIFE..

snake

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • What a ride it's been!
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2006, 06:40:04 AM »

I have a Nolan 100 modular, great helmet, good ventwork, but in the rain, behind a fairing, it will fog up on exhalation because the air isn't flowing into the vents. I carry a small flexible tube as a "snorkel" to exhale through, breath in through the nose. I love it in the winter. Have riden with it down to 15 degrees. NO problems, except the above mentioned rain related one, easily fixed.
:ohwow: signed: A reality-challenged left wingnut!
     420! Yeah, baby!

FuzzFace

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2006, 08:37:22 AM »

I just bought one of the flip-up modular helmets from Jafrum (V-Can) on the web.  It is DOT, the finish is good, the interior padding is thinner than my other helmets, but it is actually very comfortable and pretty quiet for a full flip-up for $49.95!

I ordered a dark shield in addition to the clear one that came with it, and the whole thing was less than $75.  We will see how it behaves in the Texas summer. 

It has a one-hand release, latches on both sides (you can actually hear it latch pretty solid when you close it), not as much padding on the chinstrap as an HJC, but a snap button on the end of the strap to prevent it from flapping around in the wind.  The shell is some kind of "Space age polymer" or plastic/ABS.
For $10 more, they have a fiberglass version that is better for changing out face shields. The cheaper one requires a flatblade screwdriver.

http://www.jafrum.com/s.nl/it.A/id.2980/.f?sc=2&category=188

I will keep ya'll updated on how good it is.  First blush, it seems really nice for the money, and since it isn't designed for headsets, it has padding that is pretty close to the ears.  I might have to change that, since I ride a GoldWing when my wife is along.  We will see.

Keep on toolin'...............

Fuzzy

HeadGuess

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Wills Point, Texas
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2006, 06:32:23 PM »

I have bought 3 of the Nolans so far at the discount price fron Dennis Kirk and I really like them. They all came with a fog shield that you can take out or put on and the pieces that keep the wind from comming up through the neck in winter. Mine are Nolan Xlite 901.

thriftmaster

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2006, 11:21:18 AM »

I have an HJC flip face and I ride a 1300R with Memphis shade.
I just returned yesterday from a 3 day trip from Dallas to Three Twisted Sisters and the helmet did very well. I could ride comfortably at any speed up to 80 mph with the face shield up but when I tried it with the whole face flipped up, I got too much head wobble above 55 mph.

I couldn't feel any difference with the vents open or closed so that was dissapointing.

Over-all, it's comfortable, quiet, and good looking.

FuzzFace

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2006, 02:53:37 PM »

In my experience, the only time the vents in a helmet actually make a difference is when I'm riding without a windshield.  THEN there's enough air pressure to push the air through the helmet. The windshield relieves that pressure enough to prevent any noticeable cooling. 

So far so good with the JAFRUM helmet.  Everything is working as expected, and it is light.

Fuzzy

sherri

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • The Woodlands
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2006, 09:38:03 PM »

Thanks it all helps, now I really have a lot to think about.

Sherri

If you ever see me with horns sticking out of my helmet
call an ambulance  .  .  .  .    I’ve hit a deer

Phoenix2000

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2006, 11:49:42 AM »

Hey Sherri before you purchase a flip face helmet. I am sure some one would let you borrow one for a test fit and ride to see if you like a flip face helmet or not. I was talking to you last night at the Meet n Greet about the helmet. If you do not find one to borrow let me no. I might be able to help u out with one...
Pages: [1] 2

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal