Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wiring diagram for 04 1800r  (Read 641 times)

dukester55

• Tejano
Wiring diagram for 04 1800r
« on: May 01, 2008, 06:52:18 AM »

Just bought me one of those trunks with the turn signals and brake lights to put on the luggage rack.
Was wondering if anyone had some wiring info i could use to hook up the lights. Tips and tricks would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dukester
04 Candy Red 1800R Spec 3
just because you can't see it doesn't mean it isn't there.

David

• Rider
  • I'm back home in TEXAS!
Re: Wiring diagram for 04 1800r
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 04:41:33 PM »

Full Service Manual, or a zerox copy of the wiring diagram is a must.

All wires can be found under the rear fender, or better yet, under the right hand side panel - easier to get to, but longer wiring harnes to the tour pack.

If you splice do NOT use those clip-on splices - cut and solder and heat shrink tubing (kind with gel in it) is the BEST way to do this. Me, I use a sharp blade (exacto knife) and shave back the insulation for about 1/2" (withOUT cutting copper wire strands) and wrap my new wiring around factory wiring THEN solder THEN best electrical tape you can find (3M 88+ at Home Depot or Lowes or Graybar).

Get yourself a good run/turn/brake controller (Kurry, Kris, Electrical Connections)

Make sure you're not overloading your alternator capabilities: puts out 433 watts above ~2,000 RPM. Just simple math of each light bulb plus the ECM.

If you don't solder regularly, make sure you practice on some extra wire before cobling up your bike wires. Tin the tip, wrap clean wire to clean wire, use the heat of the tip to heat the wiring as you test from enough heat to flow your solder. Get the right type of solder also - Radio Shack has little tubes.

Good Luck, send pictures!
David

heirloom

• Old Timer
  • Tyler, Texas
Re: Wiring diagram for 04 1800r
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2008, 09:35:18 PM »

"Get the right type of solder " said David.

The 'right' kind of solder would be rosin core.  Solid core is okay if you have some rosin flux on hand.  DO NOT use acid core, it is corrosive and is not suitable for electrical work.
Heirloom, MSF Rider Coach
Love my bikes!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal