Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Help (supervision and guidance) request  (Read 4414 times)

hooter

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • Itasca (just North of Hillsboro on sceanic I-35W)
Re: Help (supervision and guidance) request
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2008, 12:34:23 PM »

I can talk with an accent like y'all if I need to....and I'm from WEST of the Red River...  The OTHER one!  LOL

So you're saying an Eskimo is a "Yankee"? 

New York City is north east of the Red River and their still Yankees.
North Dakota is north westerly of the Red River.
Can you see the common word in the last 2 statements. North of the Red River.

So you're saying an Eskimo is a "Yankee"?

No because he's an Indian, and Indians can't be Yankees. The same as Indians can be Cowboys but, Cowboys can't be Indians. Any questions?   :-\ :-\

(This thread can't be hijacked because the forks are done LMAO)

Interested in your opinion debate face on...I'm taking nothing personally, I'm not upset, I'm really just curious.

Sure...all KINDS of them.

See, I'm not from a state that fought against the south in the civil war.  It wasn't a state DURING the civil war.  ALL of my ancestors came to this country AFTER the civil war and went directly to places that didn't fight for anyone IN the civil war, including by way of other countries like Canada.

First you say that "anyone from the north" is a Yankee.  Then you change it and say that Indians can't be Yankees...

Well, I GET your logic on why a Native American can't be a Yankee.  But if an Indian can't be a Yankee, then that means there's a criteria for someone "from the north" to not be a Yankee.  So if someone's parents came to the United States in 1979 from Tehran, Iran and they were born in 1985 in Seattle.... Would you call that person a Yankee?  How about a Canadian?  What MAKES a person a Yankee?  Just "any non-native-American born in the north"? 

So if someone's parents came to the United States in 1979 from Tehran, Iran and they were born in 1985 in Seattle....

The parents would be Immigrant towel heads and the kids would be baby towel heads, only if they stay up there. Now if they come to Texas they automatically become Imagrunt yankee towel heads and the kids would little yankee towel heads.

How about a Canadian?

Well Canadians aren't Americans so like the cowboys that can't be indians the Canadians aren't American so they can't be yankees, unless their born here in America which would change their status to American and then if born in the Northern region came to Texas that would make them a yankee. If the kids are born here in Texas, that makes them Texan and then they too will grow up to realize the difference between Texas and what somebody from north of the Red River means. Anymore questions.    ;D ;D ;D ;D

Didn't think so.... We now return you to the orginally scheduled programing of Progressive Springs brought to you by Hookem
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 12:37:45 PM by hooter »
What I do today is very important because
I traded a day of my life for it.

Whatever you want to do, do it now.
  There are only so many tomorrows.

snake

• What a ride it's been!
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2008, 12:59:56 PM »

Lets see, if they came from tehran and still speak Farce after being here all this time...Halle Shouma Koube!  8)If they brought their bodgie with them when they came, I want to know...where's your oil well at? ;D If they stayed at the hotel Semaramis in Tehran before they left, I want to know how many stories are left on the building...and if they lived around #1 Baharam st in the early 60's I gotta say "hey neighbor"! ;D I wonder how many trees have been planted on the Palavi since I left there? ;D Badneast, motoshukarem. (my spelling probably is way off after all this time, I never learned to do the write right to left with squiggles, hearts and daggers...;D, just as I never learned to use the bowl in the floor that emptied out in the Jube... :o I hated squatting over that basin to have to go!
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 01:08:29 PM by snake »
:ohwow: signed: A reality-challenged left wingnut!
     420! Yeah, baby!

Big Ace

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2008, 01:01:42 PM »

de-hijack attempt  8) O0 8)

From everything I've read here and elsewhere the switch to progressive springs is a huge "bang for the buck" alteration to a motorcycle. It's also something that is pretty straight-forward and quick to do (with the right tools). It's also apparently something easier to do with more than one set of hands.

I missed out on any previous progressive spring changings, but since there are probably more than a few of us who are thinking about doing it, maybe we could have a "progressive spring day" where we got some folks who want to learn to do it along with some folks who know how, and make a party of it?

60k miles, or 300... if you're front end's sagging, this looks like a good idea.
Wayne R.

Big Ace - Silver 2006 Honda VTX 1800C - now with BadX seat, Paladin Sissy Bar, and Cobra Deluxe Slashcuts

Iron Horses Grazing - photo by my son Kev

snake

• What a ride it's been!
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2008, 01:05:23 PM »

8) ;D
     420! Yeah, baby!

Big Ace

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2008, 01:25:16 PM »

Just to clarify...

Like what Morgan said earlier (in this thread or another service thread) I'm not trying to get service for free. I just am a novice motorcycle owner who wants to learn to do this stuff. If someone will be handy to tell me what to do, I'll gladly do the grunt work. I'll be 1000x more confident I wont bugger something up too.

AND! I really like the Texas X folks I've met so far, and would like to meet more. This sounds like a great opportunity.
Wayne R.

Big Ace - Silver 2006 Honda VTX 1800C - now with BadX seat, Paladin Sissy Bar, and Cobra Deluxe Slashcuts

Iron Horses Grazing - photo by my son Kev

Morgan Buchanan

• Texas X Rider OverLord
    • Fantastic Opportunity!  Look and ask me about it!
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2008, 01:29:15 PM »

Hookem GOT his springs... so he's done with the thread.  LOL

Oh, I still have PLENTY of questions...but we can argue over beers for more fun sometime.   :D

AND! I really like the Texas X folks I've met so far, and would like to meet more. This sounds like a great opportunity.

And he's met me and Snake...so he has awfully low standards!
My now long gone VTX...

hookem

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Port Neches, Texas
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2008, 01:57:05 PM »

Never bury a thread....leave the spring stickin' out!   ;D

The Progressive swap was something I was intimidated by simply because I had not seen it done, and feared the projectile a bit.  Also, what would I do if I got halfway and was stumped?  Once again, Hipshot provided all the knowledge needed from experience, and I can honestly say that it is not as bad of a job as I feared it might be.  Yes, you definitely need more than 1 set of hands to compress the new spring and get the cap thread started.
Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.
Ronald Reagan

Chad

• Board
  • Elvis
  • M G, TX.
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2008, 02:04:46 PM »

Hookem I bet your bike appreciated the springs just as much as you do!! ;D I will say the two sets of hands is a must for sure just like you said!!  ;D
Member since 2004
RIP Torque Dec.18,1975-Apr.29,2009

hooter

• Itasca (just North of Hillsboro on sceanic I-35W)
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2008, 02:21:41 PM »

Never bury a thread....leave the spring stickin' out!   ;D

The Progressive swap was something I was intimidated by simply because I had not seen it done, and feared the projectile a bit.  Also, what would I do if I got halfway and was stumped?  Once again, Hipshot provided all the knowledge needed from experience, and I can honestly say that it is not as bad of a job as I feared it might be.  Yes, you definitely need more than 1 set of hands to compress the new spring and get the cap thread started.

I work on my bike in most cases but the spring change was a little different thing. One I didn't have the tools and the springs I installed were the Progressive GL1800 for the Goldwing. My front end sits a little higher than the VTX Progressive springs and they have more to compress when your trying to install them, so I took it to a stealer. Charged me $60. but I thought it was well worth the price. I still have the same compression rate as the VTX Progressive only now I have a little more compression travel. I put the Progressive rear shocks that were 3/4" shorter than stock and even though I'm not impressed the the shock action of these rears, I do like the way the bike handles in corners a lot better now.  
What I do today is very important because
I traded a day of my life for it.

Whatever you want to do, do it now.
  There are only so many tomorrows.

Dusty

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2008, 04:26:06 PM »

Let me clear this up.......

If you weren't born in Texas, you be a foreigner. If-n you be from the other side of any river that goes around Texas, then you b a yankee. Yes, even if you live in Florida.
Mexicans are rascals cuz we had to fight them for Texas.
Thanks Sam!

hipshot

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney, TX
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2008, 04:58:42 PM »

Well GEEEEZE, Morgan, I'm sorry I called you a Yankee now. Wayner, the Progressive springs are a big improvement over the OEM springs. The 1300's forks are an easier swap; the 1800 has inverted forks and a special castle socket is required to do the job, and the two forks are much harder to compress than the 1300's when replacing the caps. If you use the GW springs in the 1800, you need to have a 'portly' person to compress the spring and thread up the cap.
02 1800C

Dusty

« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2008, 05:40:41 PM »

Well GEEEEZE, Morgan, I'm sorry I called you a Yankee now. Wayner, the Progressive springs are a big improvement over the OEM springs. The 1300's forks are an easier swap; the 1800 has inverted forks and a special castle socket is required to do the job, and the two forks are much harder to compress than the 1300's when replacing the caps. If you use the GW springs in the 1800, you need to have a 'portly' person to compress the spring and thread up the cap.

Portly is good! LOL! Sounds much better than fat Cranberries. I won't take it persanal, I do like the springs.  O0

snake

• What a ride it's been!
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2008, 05:50:53 PM »

So hipshot, would you suggest the GL1800 springs over the 1800 X progressive springs for a heay rider (portly) like myself? Bumps hit really hard sometimes, especially while two up.
     420! Yeah, baby!

Crewsn

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • leander(austin), texas
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2008, 08:58:31 PM »

For anyone wanting to do the spring swap, it is definitely worth it. BTW, the offer for help is open to anyone. I'm in Leander just north of Austin on highway 183 and have access to all tools needed. the Progressive spring part# PRO-111520 are the ones you want, this applies to all model 1800's. good luck and ride safe.
03 1800 C, airbox mod, K&N filter, roadhouse shorty.

Morgan Buchanan

• Texas X Rider OverLord
    • Fantastic Opportunity!  Look and ask me about it!
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2008, 09:12:12 PM »

Hipshot, you can call me anything you like, I'll just argue if I disagree.  LOL

I want to do fork springs too, at some point.  I may couple the whole project with chromed fork tubes tho.
My now long gone VTX...
Pages: 1 [2] 3

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal