Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rear tire  (Read 1317 times)

JGomez55

• Old Timer
  • Lovin Life....!
Rear tire
« on: April 04, 2008, 10:36:51 PM »

The dark side is cool for those who want a car tire...I am looking more for a fat tire (bike tire) that will give the fat boy look. What is the maximum size fat tire I can use on my stock rim without having to change any other parts?

Sorry for the ignorance on my part, just not too familiar with the tires. GOALS: I am looking to customize my VTX1300C may even go into chopper mode with the fat boy look. Just want to start off slow. please educate me..

Joe cool.. 8)
Joe Cool...8)

murray_61

• Board
  • Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Hobe Sound, FL
    • facebook
Re: Rear tire
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 11:09:10 PM »

not exactly what you are looking for, but here is the only 205 (205mm wide) that will go on a stock 1300 rim.

http://vtxdarksiders.forumotion.com/vtx-1300-tech-f11/twin-s-wideside-mod205-on-a-stock-rim-t220.htm

The rim is 4" wide (according to the article) that's a start...  I would think that you could go as wide as you can on that rim, and not rub drive shaft or fender, but I could be wrong.  Others will chime in with more info...

ViciousNoob

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2008, 12:35:22 AM »

The dark side is cool for those who want a car tire...I am looking more for a fat tire (bike tire) that will give the fat boy look. What is the maximum size fat tire I can use on my stock rim without having to change any other parts?

Sorry for the ignorance on my part, just not too familiar with the tires. GOALS: I am looking to customize my VTX1300C may even go into chopper mode with the fat boy look. Just want to start off slow. please educate me..

Joe cool.. 8)

Joe...

I still think it is a waste of money because of how small our back rim is. 15" is small....If we had an 18", it would be awesome, but we don't. The 200mm is the biggest we can fit. I had a Metezler ME880 180mm on the back, and can tell absolutely NO difference visually between it and the 180. It's pretty much because of how damn tall the sidewall is. It made me sick after I saw it mounted...I was so anxious and it was a SERIOUS letdown... If you need a new tire, you may as well pick one up, but if you are going for the fat tire look like I was, it was a complete waste of cash.

You may wanna go to www.xchoppers.com and check out the 240mm kits.

PM me if you have any questions. looks like we were looking for the same thing in our bikes...
If I wasn't n00b, I sure would want to be!!! ;-)

HeadGuess

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Wills Point, Texas
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2008, 07:14:12 AM »

I put the 205 on my 1300R and I can tell a tremendous difference. It's cheaper than a scooter tire to boot and will get probably 5 times the miles on the car tire. I have not noticed any negatives so far other than you have to lean into the curves and turns a little more aggressively. I originally bougt the next size up (P215) and my buddy talked me out of it saying it would'nt fit. After putting this one on I am convinced the next size up will fit. Thats my obsevations so far anyway.

Oh yea the car tir was only $70 at Wal-Mart. Less than the Metezler by far!

MRVTX

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Magnolia, TX
    • What I do...
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2008, 09:05:02 AM »

The stock Dunlops only lasted 9,000 miles for me, so I switched to the Avons.  So far, that's the only tire I've used because I like them too much to try another brand.  The Avon 170/80-15 for the rear is actually 176mm wide, so you do gain a little width.  Metzeler and Avon sell 200/70-15 tires, but because our rear rim is only 3.5" wide, the 200 doesn't look any fatter than the Avon since it pinches in the sidewall so much.

If you don't want to go the 240 route, you can try this, but it will cost a little more than just simply changing out tires.

http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=34054&highlight=bank

And the cheapest place I have found the Avons is at www.ridenow.com
« Last Edit: April 05, 2008, 09:07:30 AM by MRVTX »

JGomez55

• Old Timer
  • Lovin Life....!
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2008, 10:46:12 PM »

Thanks guy's good information, I wont give up will keep searching to find the look that I want, for now I am good, need to save up for the kit mentioned on xchopper.com. I am sure there will be other information out there just need to keep digging for it.
the sites mentioned were good sources of information. If I hear or do something will notify you on it.

Joe Cool.... 8)
Joe Cool...8)

Morgan Buchanan

• Texas X Rider OverLord
    • Fantastic Opportunity!  Look and ask me about it!
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2008, 05:53:18 AM »

Everyone gets to spend their money how they like, which is awesome...  I just don't get wide tire kits.  Spending all that money so you can spend even MORE money every tire change.  LOL  They do look cool tho.
My now long gone VTX...

JGomez55

• Old Timer
  • Lovin Life....!
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2008, 07:24:11 PM »

Thanks all fo the info....
Joe Cool...8)

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal