Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: To open or not to open a bar?  (Read 3753 times)

Cruiser

• Tejano
  • A Sunday Ride
To open or not to open a bar?
« on: March 25, 2008, 02:12:51 PM »

Planning on move somewhere South of Austin in the near future and open a bar.
What do you look for in a destination place and somewhere to unwind?
There's a place called Cook's Corner close to where I live that has given me some ideas. Along with the Lone Star Roundup, the Continental Club, Beerland, Maria's Taco X-press. Take a look at the link and tell me what you think of having a place like that?

http://www.cookscorners.com/index.html

We're a little tired of the Rat Race and we just love Austin.
The focus will be for X'rs (and other bikes), Rods, Taco Tuesday, Spaghetti Wednesday and familie's stuff like that.
"AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY"
                  Do No Harm. 
                DO KNOW HARM!

giddyupgurl

Re: To open or not to open a bar?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 02:17:39 PM »

how many does it seat? can you eat outside as well?

Cruiser

• Tejano
  • A Sunday Ride
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 02:32:40 PM »

We want something that will seat somewhere around 50 - 75 inside and 150 - 200 outside since most of us don't like being more that an eye shot away from our rides or bikes.
                  Do No Harm. 
                DO KNOW HARM!

jmdaniel

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • My other toy, '77 FJ40...
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 10:43:23 PM »

Don't tell folks you're moving here from California. Trust me on that one...  ???
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
-- Unknown

2016 Honda F6B Deluxe
2007 Yamaha FJR1300A
2003 Honda VTX 1300

Cruiser

• Tejano
  • A Sunday Ride
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 08:09:48 AM »

Hey my parents are from El Paso. Does that help?

I understand that all the Californians are headed that way but there two in my neighborhood that want to move back to Texas. They've had enough too.

California was a nice place to grow up. Back then people were laid back, easy going and and nice. Then the outsiders came with their high energy and idea's and attitudes. California isn't like it used to be. I thought that the lifestyle was gone forever until 4 years ago I went to the Lone Star Roundup and I found my childhood. Austin is like the old California and I felt at home.
Trust me, if I didn't have a family waiting for me at home I would have found a job there.

Bottom line, California is now full of poser's and most have a better than thou attitude. I CAN'T DO THAT!
Hell I still pull over when I see a biker (or Rod) on the side of the road.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 08:18:17 AM by Cruiser »
                  Do No Harm. 
                DO KNOW HARM!

jmdaniel

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008, 08:44:19 AM »

Hey my parents are from El Paso. Does that help?

I understand that all the Californians are headed that way but there two in my neighborhood that want to move back to Texas. They've had enough too.

Austin California was a nice place to grow up. Back then people were laid back, easy going and and nice. Then the Californians outsiders came with their high energy and idea's and attitudes. Austin California isn't like it used to be. I thought that the lifestyle was gone forever until 4 years ago I went to the Lone Star Roundup and I found my childhood. Austin used to be great, until everyone moved here. is like the old California and I felt at home.
Trust me, if I didn't have a family waiting for me at home I would have found a job there.

Bottom line, Austin California is getting to be nothing but poser's and a better than thou attitude.

I edited your comments above, to show what is often said about Austin (and Californians in Austin) these days. Don't get me wrong, do whatever floats your boat. Hell, I'm sure that someone will come by here and "call me out" as a damn Yankee, and tell me that I shouldn't have moved here. I'm just saying that you are moving to a city that is not managing growth very well, IMO, and is on its way to being another Houston or Dallas, (no offense intended to Houston or Dallas Xers, you know what I am talking about). Couple that with the fact that you can't swing a dead cat without hitting somebody lamenting the way things "used to be", or "why did they have to tear down the Armadillo World Headquarters/Liberty Lunch/Blah, blah, blah...?" I've lived in a lot of places, but never one that so much wanted its cake and to eat it too. A good example is our dipshit, hothead mayor, Will Wynn. He was quoted in Esquire a few months back, stating proudly that, with all the building going on here, he feels like "Napoleon, bulldozing medieval Paris". No, the story gets better... this little idiot was caught on tape last year, screaming at a construction worker who was blocking traffic. It seems little Mr. Will couldn't get to where he wanted to, because of the same construction congestion he likes to brag about in national mags. He detained the construction worker until the police showed up.

I'm just saying Austin is going through tons of change now, while at the same time bitching incessantly about it, and Californians catch a good share of the heat, rightfully or not. Will the end result be better? Not for me, as I hate congestion and snobs, but to each his own. On the plus side, there is a great group of riders in CenTex, and some of them even still ride VTXs!  O0

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
-- Unknown

2016 Honda F6B Deluxe
2007 Yamaha FJR1300A
2003 Honda VTX 1300

Crewsn

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • leander(austin), texas
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 12:09:59 PM »

Don't mind Jim/Jeff, He's just a "Damn Yankee" that shouldn't have moved here to begin with! ;D O0
Seriously, this area is going through some serious growing pains. As Jeff said, if something isn't done soon it's gonna be huge mess. I do think however that the "attitude" of most is still a generally good one.
I do agree that there is a great group of cen-tex riders and plenty of rides to be had.
03 1800 C, airbox mod, K&N filter, roadhouse shorty.

jmdaniel

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 12:42:28 PM »

Don't mind Jim/Jeff, He's just a "Damn Yankee" that shouldn't have moved here to begin with! ;D O0

Damn, Jeremy, ya beat KennySteverDavidRDBigAWayneTrentn00bRickLexSmokyJerryTom to it!!  ;D ;D :D ;) O0
-- Unknown

2016 Honda F6B Deluxe
2007 Yamaha FJR1300A
2003 Honda VTX 1300

RD

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Just another Joe in San Antonio
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2008, 01:07:30 PM »

On the plus side, there is a great group of riders in CenTex, and some of them even still ride VTXs!  O0

Thank you Jeff. At least I was mentioned in there some where. ;) :)

I moved to Austin in '78. Was there for the "old days". I moved to San Antonio in '87, and have been here ever since. Every metropolitan area is the same. Growth problems, etc. If you want a "laid back" lifestyle in Texas, you need to move to a town that's less than 10,000 people, or stay indoors. It's not the "Big 3" anymore in Texas. DFW metroplex, Houston metroplex, Austin metroplex, San Antonio metroplex, McAllan metroplex, and El Paso. If you haven't been in any of these cities in the last 10 years, you wouldn't recognize them today.
Another proud owner of 2 1800's
04' Honda VTX 1800C
08' Honda GL1800 Goldwing

sgtstever

• Master Tejano Rider
  • BOHICA
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2008, 02:35:25 PM »

TEXAS SUCKS!!!!

BUNCH DAMN REDNECK HILLBILLIES!!!

Y'all know I'm just playing.  Was born in Illinois but got here as fast as the Army could get me here, way back in '93!!!  :-* :-* :-*
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 02:37:40 PM by sgtstever »
"Si vis pacem, para bellum"

murray_61

• Board
  • Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Hobe Sound, FL
    • facebook
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2008, 06:00:11 PM »

hmmm...  maybe Texas should start protecting all of its borders...   ;)

San Angelo is a very laid back town, around 100,000 people, I'm sure there are more like that somewhere...  Lubbock is pretty goo too, but it usually has a good bit of construction somewhere.  I like all of west texas, it seems to be a laid back atmosphere, but I would be back (and will be) in cen-tex after building the resume up for a while out here.

As for the bar, isn't it location, location, location?  South of Austin is probably good, but where at?

This guy might be able to offer some advice, he's done some homework on the idea in another area...
http://www.texasxriders.com/index.php?topic=6640
http://www.texasxriders.com/index.php?topic=6413

brentos

• Old Timer
  • Austin, Texas
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2008, 10:55:32 PM »

I can't believe I have almost been here (Austin) 10 years. It is the longest I have been anywhere so I think it is a great place to live. Yeah there are things we need to work on like anywhere.

Been in the bar/restaurant/liquor business for 21 years. Ran one live music venue for 6-7 of them and opened a couple more here in Austin (all successful I should add). Have you ever run a bar/restaurant/venue? It is far from relaxing but it can be satisfying.

Feel free to PM/email me with any questions about the industry in austin. I work for a liquor, beer, and wine distributor now in what is best described as a consultant/sales position. I have dealt with every aspect of TABC (texas alcoholic beverage commission), fire marshals, liquor licensing, booking agents, SXSW, etc., etc. I would be happy to answer any questions you might have but I just got back from giving a scotch seminar and partaking of my own wares so I need sleep at the moment.
Brent Johnston - '05 1300S beetle bags, switchblade 2-up, Corbin dual tour, Roadhouse slip-ons, Fatty Beach Bars, etc.

jmdaniel

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2008, 06:03:23 AM »

I moved to Austin in '78. Was there for the "old days". I moved to San Antonio in '87, and have been here ever since. Every metropolitan area is the same. Growth problems, etc. If you want a "laid back" lifestyle in Texas, you need to move to a town that's less than 10,000 people, or stay indoors. It's not the "Big 3" anymore in Texas. DFW metroplex, Houston metroplex, Austin metroplex, San Antonio metroplex, McAllan metroplex, and El Paso. If you haven't been in any of these cities in the last 10 years, you wouldn't recognize them today.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080327/ap_on_re_us/census_growing_cities

:-\
-- Unknown

2016 Honda F6B Deluxe
2007 Yamaha FJR1300A
2003 Honda VTX 1300

RD

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Just another Joe in San Antonio
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2008, 07:06:10 AM »

Yep. Drive around. It's not "rocket science".
Another proud owner of 2 1800's
04' Honda VTX 1800C
08' Honda GL1800 Goldwing

Cruiser

• Tejano
  • A Sunday Ride
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2008, 08:48:19 AM »

I saw and heard of all the construction going on downtown with the prices that reflect those of Southern California.
We were looking more toward Hayes County, Mtn City, Buda, etc.
But getting back to the Austin thing, What I saw last 4 years ago is not the same thing that I saw last year. Not being a native, it seemed that they are trying to drive the small business away which is (IMO) what gives Austin it's charm.

I guess Kinky should have been voted in. http://www.kinkyfriedman.com/
                  Do No Harm. 
                DO KNOW HARM!
Pages: [1] 2

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal