Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chrome repair  (Read 1458 times)

Lucky

• Board
  • Elvis
  • Canyon Lake, TX
    • Facebook
Chrome repair
« on: March 11, 2008, 02:02:20 PM »

Ok, so today is clear and sunny and I can finally see how much damage my bike has from the wind knocking her down yesterday >:(.  Outside of some easily replaceable minor parts, the stock exhaust pipes are scraped up quite a bit, or at least to my eyes they are  :(.  Several of the scratches are very deep and it appears that there is already slight rust developing, or is that my imagination?  I cleaned it real good and it still has this lite orangish/red coloring which looks like rust.  I got my Honda polish and coated the areas and tried to work it in to see if it would help protect the area until I find out what I should do to repair the damage.  Outside of getting new pipes, do you have to totally re-chrome the pipes, or can spot repairs be done?  Is this something I can do myself, or do I take it to a shop?  Recommendations for shops in the Houston area?
"Lucky" Connie
'06 Pearl Dark Blue 1300C
If you don't love what you're doing, then don't do it.
Your chances of success are directly proportional to the degree of pleasure you derive from what you do.

Chad

• Board
  • Elvis
  • M G, TX.
Re: Chrome repair
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 02:21:59 PM »

Ok, so today is clear and sunny and I can finally see how much damage my bike has from the wind knocking her down yesterday >:(.  Outside of some easily replaceable minor parts, the stock exhaust pipes are scraped up quite a bit, or at least to my eyes they are  :(.  Several of the scratches are very deep and it appears that there is already slight rust developing, or is that my imagination?  I cleaned it real good and it still has this lite orangish/red coloring which looks like rust.  I got my Honda polish and coated the areas and tried to work it in to see if it would help protect the area until I find out what I should do to repair the damage.  Outside of getting new pipes, do you have to totally re-chrome the pipes, or can spot repairs be done?  Is this something I can do myself, or do I take it to a shop?  Recommendations for shops in the Houston area?
Just myself being the stock exhaust I would 1: See about buying someones old exhaust cheap because to have the old rechromed will cost you more than getting an used one. 2: See about getting an aftermarket one.
 and no have to get a whole section rechromed instead just a spot. Good luck!  8)
Member since 2004
RIP Torque Dec.18,1975-Apr.29,2009

skipppy75

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Cypress, TX
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 02:40:09 PM »

Like VTXChad said
I bet someone here would sell you some pipes cheap or go to the national board
sometimes they are even on craigs list

03 1800C bought Aug. 26 and road home 1000+ miles in about 16hrs
05 1300C sold July 21 damaged by 2 deer and road
01 ACE 750 25K miles and sold

Lone_Wolfe

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Seattle, WA
    • My Cycle Travels
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 02:50:47 PM »

..... or can spot repairs be done? 

I've heard where some have used the chrome fingernail polish for spot fixes???? But that could just be a scary urban myth?  :-X

Dusty

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 03:06:56 PM »

I've heard where some have used the chrome fingernail polish for spot fixes???? But that could just be a scary urban myth?  :-X

It's not a myth. I know because I talked Bgreer into touchng up a spot on his bike with it.  ;D
It either looked like crap or he's no good with finger nail polish. Not sure which it was.  :D

Lucky

• Board
  • Elvis
  • Canyon Lake, TX
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2008, 03:09:13 PM »

Well, the chrome nail polish can't look much worse than these scratches turning rusty colored.  VTX Dust has mentioned he has some stock pipes laying around...gonna see if I can sweet talk him out them  ;)
"Lucky" Connie
'06 Pearl Dark Blue 1300C
If you don't love what you're doing, then don't do it.
Your chances of success are directly proportional to the degree of pleasure you derive from what you do.

skipppy75

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Cypress, TX

03 1800C bought Aug. 26 and road home 1000+ miles in about 16hrs
05 1300C sold July 21 damaged by 2 deer and road
01 ACE 750 25K miles and sold

hipshot

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney, TX
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2008, 05:43:56 PM »

Nail polish won't work on an exhaust system; it gets too hot. If the headers are okay you can get some slipons (ala Marigold's bike) cheaper than rechroming the stockers. Hit the classifieds on VTXOA. If you HAVE to refinish the old system, let me know.
02 1800C

scottyb1

• Tejano
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2008, 06:13:30 PM »

Lucky I have some brand new pipes in the attic,give me a shout.
2005 VTX 1300C, candy apple red leatherlyke bags,mustang seat,,honda line deluxe sissy bar,memphis windshield,lots of chrome, mustang tank bib.kuryakyn highway pegs, kuryakyn wide style levers.Jug huggers,K&N air filter

heirloom

• Old Timer
  • Tyler, Texas
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2008, 04:23:26 PM »

Sounds like Scotty is going to fix you up!!  O0   I was going to ask what part took the scratches?  When mine tipped, about a week after I got her!!, all that got scratched was the tip.  You can get new tips and some of the aftermarket tips will work with the Honda muff.  Also, you can rotate the tip so the scratches are on the inside and don't show! ;D

I went for the RoadHouse slip ons, look like stock, but, sound great.  There are tons of options out there.  One thing to keep in mind, the Honda OEM headers are about as good as you can get......unless you are getting an entire system, the slip ons are the way to go and much cheaper.

JMHO, I could be wrong........
Heirloom, MSF Rider Coach
Love my bikes!!!

tejasx

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2008, 09:47:57 AM »

It's called Sally Hanson fingernail polish.  I would not try it on pipes, because of the heat, but anywhere else would work.  I read about it on a California tips board.  The website says it is available in Walmart and Walgreens.  I have not yet found the chrome line there.

Go for the aftermarket slip ons.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2008, 09:50:04 AM by tejasx »

Cruiser

• Tejano
  • A Sunday Ride
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2008, 06:29:12 PM »

DUDE! Your avatar is freaking me out!

MAKE IT STOP!!   MAKE IT STOP!!!!!
"AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY"
                  Do No Harm. 
                DO KNOW HARM!