Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Stupid Inspection Sticker...  (Read 2183 times)

CrazyJaymz

• Trailer Queen
Stupid Inspection Sticker...
« on: March 03, 2008, 11:54:01 PM »

I was told by a cop friend of mine that I am not supposed to "relocate" my inspection tag... any ideas on how to make it look decent back there? I'm trying to clean things up on that rear fender. Anybody had any problems (with the authorities, at least) relocating that sticker?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 12:05:50 AM by CrazyJaymz »
You may get there first this time, but I'll get there in one piece EVERY time!

Black '06 1300C - Stocker for now with big plans - Kewlmetal - Glen's Garage - Clayton Mod - xtra chrome here and there

HRCA Member 102 487357

skipppy75

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Cypress, TX

03 1800C bought Aug. 26 and road home 1000+ miles in about 16hrs
05 1300C sold July 21 damaged by 2 deer and road
01 ACE 750 25K miles and sold

troman62

Re: Stupid Inspection Sticker...
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 02:51:15 AM »

Ha!  I still have mine in my wallet, I took it off and forgot to put it back.  I'll sneak it on when the cop's not looking.

murray_61

• Board
  • Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Hobe Sound, FL
    • facebook
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 06:52:02 AM »

one thing to note...

With a vehicle, you have to have windshield wipers, but you do not have to have a wind shield.

Without a windshield (i.e. a jeep you would take hunting) you keep the sticker in the glove box.

You are much more likely to get pulled over, but it is what it is.

With a motorcycle, if you do not have the plate in the back, you must have the sticker somewhere else...

This is just what I learned when I was getting certified as a state inspector....

skipppy75

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Cypress, TX
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 11:14:52 AM »

one thing to note...

With a vehicle, you have to have windshield wipers, but you do not have to have a wind shield.

Without a windshield (i.e. a jeep you would take hunting) you keep the sticker in the glove box.

You are much more likely to get pulled over, but it is what it is.

With a motorcycle, if you do not have the plate in the back, you must have the sticker somewhere else...

This is just what I learned when I was getting certified as a state inspector....

mine is stuck on the inside of the left cover where the tool box is

Chad

• Board
  • Elvis
  • M G, TX.
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 02:15:03 PM »

Never have had a problem EVER with getting inspected!! I just tell them on the side and they say ok!! here is a pic!!

Member since 2004
RIP Torque Dec.18,1975-Apr.29,2009

icemanhail

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2008, 03:18:53 PM »

I'm a police officer and I would never write that citation.  Of course there are A-Hole cops out there that would.  Just like VTXChad stated, you shouldn't have any problem getting it inspected.  They asked me last time since they new I was an officer and I told them that most officers are satisfied that it is up to date.  Most officers only care that the license plate is visible on bikes.

My two cents !  !

-Iceman

heirloom

• Old Timer
  • Tyler, Texas
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2008, 09:03:03 PM »

I believe the 'official' requirement is that the inspection sticker be visible from the rear of the motorcycle and does NOT have to be illuminated (like one state inspector tried to tell me!).  However, at my last get together, I noticed only about 50% of the bikes had stickers at all and the other half were in various places around the bike.

+1 on the Iceman......I don't think that is a priority with most officers.   O0
Heirloom, MSF Rider Coach
Love my bikes!!!

murray_61

• Board
  • Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Hobe Sound, FL
    • facebook
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2008, 10:12:25 PM »

Everything you needed to know about Texas Vehicle Inspections...

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/vi/publications/rules/rules.html

20.04 Certificate Mounting Procedures for Motorcycles, Motor-Driven Cycles, and Mopeds

1. On the Vehicle (Optional).  Punch the month of issuance and year of expiration.  Remove the certificate’s back paper and attach the certificate face up on the vehicle’s rear fender or any other visible location on the rear near its license plate.

Place the certificate in place and apply firmly.  OR

2. Backing Plate (Optional - to be furnished by cycle owner).  Punch the month of issuance and year of expiration.  Remove  the certificate’s back paper and attach the certificate face up on the backing plate which is mounted on the cycle near the license plate for this purpose.  Place the certificate in place and apply firmly.

3. Other Provisions - Motorcycles, Motor-Driven Cycles, and Mopeds.  Reject the vehicle if no fender or optional location is available for applying the inspection certificate.

It is written vaguely "attach the certificate face up on the backing plate which is mounted on the cycle near the license plate for this purpose."  It is up to the inspector to determine if the "backing plate" is in an ok place.  The side cover in skippy75's case is considered a "backing plate" as is anything else we mount for the purpose of placing the inspection sticker.

Be nice to your inspector and things should go smoothly, that's the way it was for me, as soon as someone decided to be a smart @ss, I would find "something" to use to fail their inspection.

That's it from the actual inspection side, but other things come into play when you are on the road.  i.e. to pass inspection you can have as dark as 20% window tint on your front driver and passenger windows, but on the road you can only have 45% on your front driver and passenger windows...

At least I think the % for the road in that example is correct, I was only an inspector, but I did stay at a holiday inn express last night...

skipppy75

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Cypress, TX
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2008, 12:29:22 AM »

The side cover in skippy75's case is considered a "backing plate" as is anything else we mount for the purpose of placing the inspection sticker.

you sound like the guy who did my inspection ???

he said he could not hand me the sticker, but he had to put it on my bike, but he said I could choose the spot, asked about the side cover and he said sure why not

I have been pulled over just for cops to look at the bike, but they never commented on where my sticker was.
have been pulled over twice and never been given a ticket, a warning 1 time, but the cops I have dealt with just ask
if I am current on everything, I tell them yes and they were fine with it.  I wonder when they run your plates does it come up with that you have a valid inspection, I now it tells them if it is current on registration, just wonder about inspection.

anywho I have not had any problems with 2 different inspection stations on the placement of my sticker in the cover

just depends on the cop and how they are doing that day I would guess

Morgan Buchanan

• Texas X Rider OverLord
    • Fantastic Opportunity!  Look and ask me about it!
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2008, 07:29:21 AM »

Probably slightly more with how YOU are dealing with them then how they're doing in general....  Be a jerk, get treated like a jerk.
My now long gone VTX...

CrazyJaymz

• Trailer Queen
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2008, 05:35:16 PM »

Thanks for all the great info - I still have some time before my next inspect, so I will use your ideas to find something that works for me. You guys kick @$$  O0
You may get there first this time, but I'll get there in one piece EVERY time!

Black '06 1300C - Stocker for now with big plans - Kewlmetal - Glen's Garage - Clayton Mod - xtra chrome here and there

HRCA Member 102 487357

pepsX

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Missouri City TX
    • pepsX products
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2008, 09:22:08 PM »

note to self: now that you have forgotten about getting the inspection sticker for two years now, put it on the "to do" list before the next two years pass.
I used to have 1000 post on the old board.

www.pepsX.com

hobo

• Board
  • Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Cedar Creek Lake
    • westcherry.com
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2008, 10:48:30 PM »

note to self: now that you have forgotten about getting the inspection sticker for two years now, put it on the "to do" list before the next two years pass.

Mine got kind of old too. Guess I ought to get it replaced before the sun bleaches out the colors.  ::)
My 2003 1800C lives at the shores of Cedar Creek Lake in Mabank, Texas
Don't make me get nekkid!... Smell The Bumper... I got my cookies!

Lone_Wolfe

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Seattle, WA
    • My Cycle Travels
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2008, 11:29:35 AM »

The Inspector placed mine on the front side of my side-mount plate holder. You can see it if you're looking for it as it's plainly visable if you bend at the knees!  O0

Pages: [1] 2

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal