Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Texas  (Read 2625 times)

Dusty

Texas
« on: March 03, 2008, 07:05:51 PM »

Have you ever looked at a map of the world? Look at Texas with me just for a second. That picture, with the Panhandle and the Gulf Coast , and the Red River and the Rio Grande is as much a part of you as anything ever will be. As soon as anyone anywhere in the world looks at it they know what it is. It's Texas . Pick any kid off the street in Japan and draw him a picture of Texas in the dirt and he'll know what it is. What happens if I show you a picture of any other state? You might get it maybe after a second or two, but who else would? And even if you do, does it ever stir any feelings in you?

In every man, woman and child on this planet, there is a person who wishes just once he could be a real live Texan and get up on a horse or ride off in a pickup. There is a little bit of Texas in everyone.

Did you ever hear anyone in a bar go, 'Wow...so you're from Iowa ? Cool, tell me about it?' Do you know why? Because no one gives a crap about Iowa .'

Texas is the Alamo . Texas is 183 men standing in a church, facing
thousands of Mexican nationals, fighting for freedom, who had the chance to walk out and save themselves, but stayed instead to fight and die for the cause of freedom.

We send our kids to schools named William B. Travis and James Bowie and Crockett, and do you know why? Because those men saw a line in the sand and they decided to cross it and be heroes.

John Wayne paid to do the movie himself. That is the Spirit of Texas .

Texas is Sam Houston capturing Santa Anna at San Jacinto .

Texas is huge forests of Piney Woods like the Davy Crockett National Forest .

Texas is breathtaking mountains in the Big Bend .

Texas is the unparalleled beauty of bluebonnet fields in the Texas Hill Country.

Texas is the beautiful, warm beaches of the Gulf Coast of South Texas .

Texas is the shiny skyscrapers in Houston and Dallas.

Texas is world record bass from places like Lake Fork .

Texas is Mexican food like nowhere else, not even Mexico .

Texas is the Fort Worth Stockyards, Bass Hall, the Ballpark in Arlington and
the Astrodome. (guess now the Reliant Stadium too)

Texas is larger-than-life legends like Michael DeBakey, Denton Cooley, Willie Nelson, Buddy Holly, Gene Autry, Audie Murphy, Tommy Lee Jones, Waylon Jennings, Janis Joplin, Kris Kristofferson, Tom Landry, Darrell Royal, ZZ Top, Eric Dickerson, Nolan Ryan, Sam Rayburn, Howard Hughes, George H. W.Bush, Lyndon B. Johnson, and George W. Bush. and let's not forget GEORGE STRAIT, EARL CAMPBELL and GENE ELSTON!

Texas is great companies like Dell Computer, Texas Instruments and Compaq, Bell Heilocopter And LOCKHEED MARTIN AEROSPACE, Home of the F-16 Jet Fighter and the JSF Fighter.

Texas is NASA.

Texas is huge herds of cattle and miles of crops.

Texas is home to the most amazing sunsets of gold over an empty field.

Texans have pride like no others.

Texas is hundreds of deer running around neighborhoods and fields.

Texas is skies blackened with doves, and fields full of deer.

Texas is a place where towns and cities shut down to watch the local high school football game on Friday nights and for the Cowboys on Monday Night Football, and for the Night In Old San Antonio River Parade in San Antonio.

To drive across Texas is to drive 1/4 the way across the United States .

Texas is ocean beaches, deserts, lakes and rivers, mountains and prairies, and modern cities.

If it isn't in Texas , you probably don't need it.

Everything's bigger in Texas !

No one does anything bigger or better than it's done in Texas .

By federal law, Texas is the only state in the U.S. that can fly its flag at the same height as the U.S. flag. Think about that for a second. You fly the

Stars and Stripes at 20 feet in Maryland , California , or Maine , and your state flag, whatever it is, goes at 17 feet. You fly the Stars and Stripes in front of Klein Oak High or anyplace else at 20 feet, the Lone Star flies at the same height - 20 feet. Do you know why? Because it is the only state that was a Republic before it became a state.

Also, being a Texan is as high as being an American down here. Our capitol is the only one in the country that is taller than the capitol building in Washington , D.C. and we can divide our state into five states at any time if we wanted to! We included these things as part of the deal when we came on. That's the best part, right there.

Texas even has its own power grid!! ... Did I mention Live music capitol of the world?

If you are a REAL TEXAN, you won't even need to be told to pass this on.

Pug

• Old Timer
Re: Texas
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 07:16:00 PM »

Texas is where it was a sunny 80 degrees twenty four hours ago and is friggin snowing outside right now...

But I wouldn't be a Yankee for all the JalapeƱos in Mexico!

O0
2006 1800R Spec2 Lightly Farkled -- RIP: ST1300 ABS / BMW R1100RT / 2008 GL1800 / 2006 VTX 1300S / 1997 Aspencade 1500

paperpeddler

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 07:25:25 PM »

Hey Bill, Texas is a different place.  I wasn't born here, but got here as soon as I could, ben here 41 years.  I have ridden off on the 4 legged horse, as well as the iron 2 wheel horse.  What a gerat place to live.  Look foreward to seing you in the Spring.

Paperpeddler

xcaliber

• Board
  • Elvis
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 07:29:32 PM »

Yeah, but it might be 80 degrees again tomorrow. And we will ride this weekend. It was snowing up north yesterday and the day before and it will probably be snowing there till april ! God bless TEXAS!
It's all just part of the adventure!

Morgan Buchanan

• Texas X Rider OverLord
    • Fantastic Opportunity!  Look and ask me about it!
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 09:10:47 PM »

30 years to get here, 30 minutes to become a Texan in my heart.  Sometimes it's surreal..  I LIVE IN TEXAS!!!!  :)
My now long gone VTX...

SouthernXer

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • BRAD Allen, Texas
    • Me playing music
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2008, 09:54:22 PM »

Born and raised 'cept for college in the Boot next door. 

There's no place like Texas!   Thanks Dusty!   O0

hobo

• Board
  • Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Cedar Creek Lake
    • westcherry.com
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2008, 10:42:52 PM »

Most people hear me talk and ask, "You been here all your life?, to which I respond, "Nope, not yet!"

I've had people buy me beers and drinks in almost every state I've visited just so they could listen to me talk. And, of course, the more they buy the slower I talk.  :D ;D O0  I really lay it on thick when they do that.
My 2003 1800C lives at the shores of Cedar Creek Lake in Mabank, Texas
Don't make me get nekkid!... Smell The Bumper... I got my cookies!

SouthernXer

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • BRAD Allen, Texas
    • Me playing music
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2008, 10:50:25 PM »

...and I'd bet we have the best looking women in Texas, too!   O0

N5TWL

• Master Tejano Rider
  • If it hurts when you do that don't do that!
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2008, 01:09:49 PM »

God Bless The Republic of Texas.
2011 Harley Street Glide, Sedona Orange, Ken Smith pinstriping.

Pug

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2008, 06:30:20 PM »

God Bless The Republic of Texas.

Now there's an idea...

...Forget about Hillarious and Hussein, let's secede and elect snake the first presidente of the republic of texas!

O0 O0 O0
2006 1800R Spec2 Lightly Farkled -- RIP: ST1300 ABS / BMW R1100RT / 2008 GL1800 / 2006 VTX 1300S / 1997 Aspencade 1500

BIG A

• Master Tejano Rider
  • belton texas 06Goldwing 06KTM 450 08 KTM 690E
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2008, 06:42:15 PM »

have been to disney world a few times, and ran into a lot of people from all over the world, but when they find out your from texas, they will follow ya around just so they can talk to ya and ask questions, kind of cool O0 O0 ;)
YOU DON'T QUIT RIDING WHEN YOU GET OLD---YOU GET OLD WHEN YOU QUIT RIDING

Militman

• Old Timer
  • "Ride hard or get out of my way!"
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2008, 09:39:47 PM »

Texas Rocks!!!! We know that. I am from Chicago but retiring in San Antonio.  O0

VTreX

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Rubythroatedhumming VT-reX Temple TX
    • http://www.patriotguard.org/photos/listpics.asp?a=show&ID=395
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2008, 12:12:53 PM »

I think it should be state law in Texas that the Texas flag should be flown at the same hight as the American flag... At Goverenment buildings,Corps., and Co. that move here from other states where they can't and probley don' know,    WE CAN  :P !!!!!  It has been said but, worth saying again  GOD BLESS TEXAS!!!!   O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0
03-C U-green It is neither those in the round nor the square that reach the top, but those in the spiral.... Now have added a red ''07 Gold Wing with everything except an AIRBAG!!  SOLD THE WING  SAD DAY!!

hobo

• Board
  • Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Cedar Creek Lake
    • westcherry.com
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2008, 12:40:40 PM »

I love Texas! No where in the world are there bluer skies, more roads and prettier women. Sometimes when I'm riding on a warm Spring day I like to stop and just...

...SMELL THE BUMPER!... ::)  :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X
My 2003 1800C lives at the shores of Cedar Creek Lake in Mabank, Texas
Don't make me get nekkid!... Smell The Bumper... I got my cookies!

cybrhick

• Master Tejano Rider
  • The outcast
    • Hick Custom Machine Works
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2008, 02:12:16 PM »

I'm originally from Ohio. Moved here in 1980. No plans of leaving. Here's one of my current favorite bands from Texas.

Displaced Texan.
Pages: [1] 2

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal