Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: A Question of Shifting and Gas Mileage  (Read 2315 times)

MasterBoozer

A Question of Shifting and Gas Mileage
« on: March 02, 2008, 11:45:38 AM »

This is a two-tiered question.

The first relates to my shifting methods.  Those of you that remember my intro may recall that I hopped off a Honda Shadow VLX to enter the world of the Big X (my 1800 C).  Having come from 4 tall gears, I have a tendency to rev high and shift often.  I'm still getting used to all that low end torque.

I've noticed that when I'm highway riding, 5th gear, for short stints, is rarely used (unless I see a reason to do over 80 for extended periods of time); and I'm constantly listening for the high end of my gears.  Again, I think it's the product of being on the VLX for 3 years.  If anyone here has ever owned a VLX, you know that you can't get much out of them unless you wind them up a lot.

So anyway, in what regard are you utilizing that all-powerful 5th gear?  Do you find yourself shifting out of it a lot due to the fluctuation of traffic conditions when local riding?

Also, does all this shifting affect gas mileage in any way?  I sat in a considerable amount of traffic (and got lost) yesterday, and noticed that my mileage was not what it should be.  Was wondering if the extended periods of stop and go affected that or if it's my tendency to stretch my gears a lot.

'scuse the ignorance......

SouthernXer

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • BRAD Allen, Texas
    • Me playing music
Re: A Question of Shifting and Gas Mileage
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 12:43:32 PM »

In local traffic I tend to stay in 3rd or 4th gear.  I like 3rd just for the reason that in case I need to get out of dodge pretty quickly, I can.  5th just kinda lugs and it can't be real good for the engine.  60+mph and 5th is all I use unless I just want to hit 100 pretty quickly.

MasterBoozer

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008, 12:53:21 PM »

"5th just kinda lugs and it can't be real good for the engine. "

In just my limited experience with it, I couldn't agree more.

Dusty

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2008, 02:01:45 PM »

I always felt like 5th was for the open road 70+.  :-X  At 90, I'm wondering where 6th is. When I'm in stop and go traffic I catch myself reving the engine when I stop and go. I'm sure that sucks the gas more than if I was cruising.

MasterBoozer

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2008, 05:48:36 PM »

I always felt like 5th was for the open road 70+.  :-X  At 90, I'm wondering where 6th is. When I'm in stop and go traffic I catch myself reving the engine when I stop and go. I'm sure that sucks the gas more than if I was cruising.

I think you and I are in the same boat... ::)

hipshot

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney, TX
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2008, 07:37:20 PM »

The 1800C is a long-stroke engine that was made to be run at relatively low RPM. I can cruise at 35 in 5th gear and accelerate away smoothly without downshifting. You certainly don't want to lug it, but it's not a short-stroke engine that needs the RPM to be kept way up there. If the engine is running smoothly and will accelerate away smoothly it's not lugging.
02 1800C

hooter

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • Itasca (just North of Hillsboro on sceanic I-35W)
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2008, 08:43:57 PM »

The 1800C is a long-stroke engine that was made to be run at relatively low RPM. I can cruise at 35 in 5th gear and accelerate away smoothly without downshifting. You certainly don't want to lug it, but it's not a short-stroke engine that needs the RPM to be kept way up there. If the engine is running smoothly and will accelerate away smoothly it's not lugging.

O0 O0 O0 I agree with Jim 100% on that. This is a tork motor, all your doing with higher RPM is killing yourself in the long run, using more fuel and wasting unused and unneeded horsepower. Ride your bike the way you want but use you ear to listen and your body to feel what this machine is telling ya. When you can hear and feel what's she's saying you'll realize you don't need all the RPM under normal riding situations.
This is not a 600cc machine that depends on RPM to get you there and give you the feel of power at the same time. This is 3 times the machine of what you had. I've had many bikes from 1 to 6 cylinders, RPM'ers and torker's, and I can promise you this will be one of the best Ladies you ever through your leg over. All you gotta do is listen and she'll tell ya what she wants, trust me, I'm not crazy. When you become intune with your 1800 you'll know what I'm saying. O0
Ride safe  Ride long
)-(ooter
What I do today is very important because
I traded a day of my life for it.

Whatever you want to do, do it now.
  There are only so many tomorrows.

Morgan Buchanan

• Texas X Rider OverLord
    • Fantastic Opportunity!  Look and ask me about it!
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2008, 01:12:43 PM »

I'm with Hooter and Jim...  Heck, I've been in 5th gear at 40 and comfortable...but I don't do that in and around traffic, it's not as nimble with the response as in lower gears.

Mileage?  I get my best milage if I can cruise at 80.  I get about 40 if I can do that.  Otherwise I'm in the low 30s regardless of what I do.
My now long gone VTX...

Lucky

• Board
  • Elvis
  • Canyon Lake, TX
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2008, 12:02:34 PM »

I'm speaking from a 1300 viewpoint, but would assume that it is basically the same with the 1800's.  I am also a new VTX rider.  My old bike had a tach meter on it and I found I relied on it alot to tell when to shift.  The VTX doesn't have one, so it took me some time to learn when to shift (very quite bike).  In the beginning I was running her at higher RPMs then I am now, and therefore I was getting much worse MPGs.  I shift alot sooner now and seem to be averaging around 44mpg as opposed to the 33mpg that I was when I first started riding her.
"Lucky" Connie
'06 Pearl Dark Blue 1300C
If you don't love what you're doing, then don't do it.
Your chances of success are directly proportional to the degree of pleasure you derive from what you do.

Chad

• Board
  • Elvis
  • M G, TX.
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2008, 05:29:09 PM »

JUST BE ONE WITH THE MACHINE!!  ;D ;D Awwwwwwwwwww ummmmmmmm!!  8)
Member since 2004
RIP Torque Dec.18,1975-Apr.29,2009

heirloom

• Old Timer
  • Tyler, Texas
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2008, 04:38:41 PM »

+1 Hipshot.  I have cruised along at 35mph in 5th many time and the machine will accelerate smoothly.....mind you, this is rolling on the throttle, NOT a sudden full throttle blast.  (for that you would need a downshift or two)

I have a tach and have found that if I keep my R's at or below 3K when shifting my mileage is pretty good.  Simply taking her up to 4K+ for a shift will have a BIG impact on mileage.  My very best tank was 44.62, the worst was 19.71, my average since 2003 is 34.64.  I find it easy to hit high 30's and low 40's if I can keep my wrist out of it.  One little show of speed against a new Mustang GT (who got smoked even though I hit the rev limiter in 2nd  ::)) and my next average will, undoubtedly, suffer.
Heirloom, MSF Rider Coach
Love my bikes!!!

hipshot

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney, TX
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2008, 07:39:45 PM »

You're right about 3K Roland, that seems to be the sweet spot for mileage on my bike. I have had 50+mpg tanks on the road when I could cruise at a steady 70mph (which is right at 3K) without hills, wind, or throttle adjustments for traffic. Over 3K the mileage goes down fast.
02 1800C

snake

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • What a ride it's been!
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2008, 07:58:41 AM »

Not saying your machines do, Jim, Roland...but my 18R has always lugged under 60 mph with just a moderate amount of throttle given to it. I personally consider 60 to be the bottom line for fifth if there will need to be an accelleration at any time. I could cruise down to 50, but any extra throttle at fifty jerks the motor and bike. I'm with Dusty on this one. I usually stay in 4th when accellerating until at least 70.   :-[ That being said...the way I ride only gets me about 34 mpg in this part of texas. :( :(
« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 08:00:21 AM by snake »
:ohwow: signed: A reality-challenged left wingnut!
     420! Yeah, baby!

heirloom

• Old Timer
  • Tyler, Texas
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2008, 10:29:51 PM »

I find that surprising, Snake.   My bike pulls very well in 5th from about 2K on up.  Mind you, it is not winning any races at that point, but, I can roll on the throttle and the R's will follow right on up.....no coughing, no groaning, no chugging, just a smooth pull.  My bike has the Roadhouse slip ons, Kury hypercharger and the ancient old HPP fuel mapper since it was a baby and it has run great, still does.
What have you done to yours??
Heirloom, MSF Rider Coach
Love my bikes!!!

ntvtx

• Rider
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2008, 03:33:38 AM »

I tend to get into the higher gears as soon as I can.  I drive a big rig for a living.  We practice progressive shifting with them to get the best mpg.  I try to do the same with my X. I get right at 40mpg every tank.
Pages: [1] 2

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal