Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The Darkside is here  (Read 2519 times)

skipppy75

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Cypress, TX
The Darkside is here
« on: February 11, 2008, 10:00:32 AM »

Just got it done Saturday  :D :D
Put about 300 miles on it Sunday riding
Goodyear Assurance Tripletred 205/60r 16 H-rated
Took about 50 miles getting use to, but rides like a dream
from the back

not much drive shaft clearence

a little more helmet lock clearence

plenty of room under the fender

03 1800C bought Aug. 26 and road home 1000+ miles in about 16hrs
05 1300C sold July 21 damaged by 2 deer and road
01 ACE 750 25K miles and sold

Morgan Buchanan

• Texas X Rider OverLord
    • Fantastic Opportunity!  Look and ask me about it!
Re: The Darkside is here
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 10:24:45 AM »

How's it on the speedo?  I'm getting close to the point where I need a new tire, and dark is where I'm heading.  That one looks good.  How much was the tire?  Mount balance or did you use some "stuff" inside the tire?
My now long gone VTX...

skipppy75

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Cypress, TX
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 10:40:21 AM »

How's it on the speedo?  I'm getting close to the point where I need a new tire, and dark is where I'm heading.  That one looks good.  How much was the tire?  Mount balance or did you use some "stuff" inside the tire?

I was on a time crunch to get it done so I was ripped off (could have gotten the tires cheaper, but I had to ride this weekend.
Rear cost 113.99 before tax from sears
also bought a front metz from Honda of Houston on 290 143.16 (rip off I wanted a bridgestone and no one carries them around here was going to order frome southwestmoto for $94)
put 2 oz. dyna beads in the front and 3 oz in the rear.
The guy I bought the dyna beads off of (which is right down the street from me) has a tire mount machine and he charged me $10 a tire to mount them.
Total cost of the beads was $15.
He also put new shiny chrome stems on.

hobo

• Board
  • Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Cedar Creek Lake
    • westcherry.com
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 02:00:10 PM »

I think the speedo is done from the front tire. It didn't change a thing when I switched over.

Oh yeah, I switched from "wild cherry" to "pink" air like Brad.
My 2003 1800C lives at the shores of Cedar Creek Lake in Mabank, Texas
Don't make me get nekkid!... Smell The Bumper... I got my cookies!

hooter

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • Itasca (just North of Hillsboro on sceanic I-35W)
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 02:10:49 PM »

Speed-o on an 1800 is off the drive train.  O0   I think the 1300 is the same, don't know that for sure but I think it is.
What I do today is very important because
I traded a day of my life for it.

Whatever you want to do, do it now.
  There are only so many tomorrows.

snake

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • What a ride it's been!
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2008, 03:38:09 PM »

If the back tire is the same size around as the stock, it shouldn't make a difference on the speedo.
:ohwow: signed: A reality-challenged left wingnut!
     420! Yeah, baby!

skipppy75

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Cypress, TX
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2008, 05:20:03 PM »

Have not had the time to tape my GPS to the handle bars yet. :D :D
When I get a chance I will let you know.

skipppy75

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Cypress, TX
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2008, 12:15:43 PM »

took it out today
speedo - 80  GPS - 76.4
speedo - 60  GPS - 57.4

that's all I could remember since it was so nice out I forgot until I was on my way home to remember more numbers

Silver Bullet

• Tejano
  • Humble, TX
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2008, 11:33:11 AM »

Skippy I thought the big reason for going darkside was tire cost. At the Sear's price you could have bought a M/C tire for less.

I would like to hear a report from you after a few thousand miles. Everything I have read so far on the big boards seems to be biased. I would consider doing this also if it makes sense and no sacrifices to traction, handling, safety.
2006 VTX1300S

skipppy75

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Cypress, TX
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2008, 12:07:11 PM »

Skippy I thought the big reason for going darkside was tire cost. At the Sear's price you could have bought a M/C tire for less.

I would like to hear a report from you after a few thousand miles. Everything I have read so far on the big boards seems to be biased. I would consider doing this also if it makes sense and no sacrifices to traction, handling, safety.

Tire cost is one, but as I said before I was in a crunch and had to fork over more than I wanted to, so it cost me like 123 after tax just for the rear tire, lets say this tire last me 30k miles a m/c tire some people can get 10k miles out of it, the cheapest I could find was a battleaxe for $131.
so for 30k 1 c/t=123 3 m/t=393, so cheaper yes I think so.
Traction is a lot better especially wet and the rooster tail is pretty neat, handling is about the same, safety if you see how I ride I feel real safe.
Since this is a cruizer it is not like I can take 90 degree corners at 45 PM.
The tire does flex and I would have to say that you either have more or the same amount of tire on the ground in corners.
I don't even notice the c/t on the back, but you should ride to your abilities
that's all I got to say about that.

hobo

• Board
  • Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Cedar Creek Lake
    • westcherry.com
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2008, 01:15:08 PM »

I'll try to be as un-biased as possible.  :)

I had a hard time deciding, then went to the darkside because of economic reasons. I live at the lake and commute to the city to work so I'm putting approximately 800 miles a week on my bike just commuting to work, That doesn't count what I ride during my off time and the weekends.

There ARE differences, though if you are an experienced rider you adjust to them quickly. I've now got about 12,000 miles on a car tire. It shows very little treadwear and corners as good, (if not better), than any motorcycle tire I've ever ridden on. Traction for braking and riding in the rain is unbelievable. I still miss the way a motorcycle tire drives itself. A car tire tire means you'll be paying attention at all times. A city street under construction, (like Harry Hines in Dallas), at slow speed is like a rodeo.

Since the car tire is not rounded like a motorcycle tire the bike will try to right itself when leaning. This is more noticeable at slower speeds. If you counter steer it's no big deal. You just hold it down a little longer in the turns. If you don't counter steer, you should either learn how or reconsider going darkside.

I believe that if you are an "experienced" rider, the darkside "can be" an option. If you aren't comfortable with the idea, it probably isn't for you.

Hope this helped,
Mike

Morgan Buchanan

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2008, 04:31:27 PM »

I just want to mention, I don't think it's POSSIBLE to get an "unbiased" opinion on this matter.  Who would you get it from?  Or REALLY specifically, within a motorcycle community, would would you get it from?  Take Hobo... he's ridded 12000 miles on a CT.  he's biased by his experience.  Someone who refuses to do it because they're afraid of crashing in a ball of fire and destruction is biased by their preconceptions.  LOL  You know what I mean?  I haven't gone CT yet, but I'll be ordering my new tire in the next couple weeks and I expect to be changing over to the CT before the end of March.  I based this decision on a number of factors, both economic and anecdotal.  I figured I read over and over and over about people who did it and liked it, and didn't read horror stories about terrible crashes (but maybe they're so bad we never even hear, the rider is just disintegrated????  MAYBE!)  But I do know that I was really pressed to find a story of someone who did it and said, "...and I switched back after 1000 miles because even tho I got it to work, it was just totally not worth it."  That was big to me.
My now long gone VTX...

hobo

• Board
  • Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Cedar Creek Lake
    • westcherry.com
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2008, 10:49:03 PM »

I'll say that if I didn't have to, I wouldn't have switched. I've been in situations when a car tire helped, and in situations when it hindered.

Later this year I plan on moving back to Dallas/Fort Worth. Now that I have a job and can afford it, and won't have the brutal commute I'll probably switch back to a motorcycle tire.

I don't think the darkside is a dangerous as some make it out to be. I just prefer the ride of a motorcycle tire.

Plus, I can't wait to see how a motorcycle tire feels with "pink air" in it.  :D

Muffmaster

• Old Timer
  • Selective Honesty is Not Lying
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2008, 07:08:07 AM »

Skippy,

I have the exact tire you have and I agree with Hobo completely. I miss the MC tire feel a lttle but I have already far surpassed the mileage of one and as you know that is a 70K tire on a car so I figure unless I just want to chnage back it will last for years! So there is no comparison in cost ;D ;D

Muff

Morgan Buchanan

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2008, 09:56:47 AM »

I've been in situations when a car tire helped, and in situations when it hindered.

Later this year I plan on moving back to Dallas/Fort Worth.

Can you elaborate on what situations you've had where it hindered?  Just trying to further my edumacation.  :)

Any idea approximately in the 'plex you're going to be locating yourself?
My now long gone VTX...
Pages: [1] 2

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal