Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Convex Mirrors?  (Read 2780 times)

BlueRetro

• Tejano
  • Nolanville, TX
Convex Mirrors?
« on: February 07, 2008, 07:04:43 PM »

Anybody use/used convex glass mirrors on their bike?      opinions thoughts?

Looking at some sold by Kury, wonderin how well they work,   mainly do they make it too difficult to see cars at a reasonable distance behind you :-\

'06  1300R

Railroader

• Old Timer
  • ORANGE is the fastest color!
Re: Convex Mirrors?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 06:55:42 PM »

I just recently purchased these mirrors but haven't gotten around to installing them yet. Plan to install either Monday or Tuesday. When I get em on I'll take em for a test run and share my thoughts. Just by looking at them I think they will work out fine and they look great.

Lucky

• Board
  • Elvis
  • Canyon Lake, TX
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008, 08:08:47 PM »

speaking of mirrors....I have a real bad vibation problem on my 1300, so much so that when I am on the highway I can barely distinguish one car from another in the mirrors, especially at night.  If others have had this problem, is there any kind of fix?
"Lucky" Connie
'06 Pearl Dark Blue 1300C
If you don't love what you're doing, then don't do it.
Your chances of success are directly proportional to the degree of pleasure you derive from what you do.

mudfrogg

• Old Timer
    • www.dallaspi.com
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2008, 11:59:43 PM »

I am in shock! vibrations from a 1300? 

hipshot

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney, TX
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 07:27:51 AM »

speaking of mirrors....I have a real bad vibation problem on my 1300, so much so that when I am on the highway I can barely distinguish one car from another in the mirrors, especially at night.  If others have had this problem, is there any kind of fix?

You shouldn't have that much vibration in the mirrors; something's not right. Unfortunately, that could be attributed to a number of different factors, and one would be hard pressed to identify the problem without examining the bike. Have you asked the dealer? If so, what was his response?
02 1800C

Txcajun

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2008, 07:42:36 AM »

The loose mirrors probably just need to be tightened. Some of the mirrors out there are more for looks than function. I had purchased a set of Kuryakn magnum mirrors a while back only to find out the best place for them is on the shelf in the garage. They vibrated so bad I wouldn't sell them to anyone because I feel they are dangerous.
Les Coullion Coup d'e'tat peux Embrasse Moi Tchew!              03 1800 retro TRAILER QUEEN EXTRORDINAIRE "SMELL THE BUMPER"

Lucky

• Board
  • Elvis
  • Canyon Lake, TX
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2008, 12:21:10 PM »

hipshot, that is why I was at Eastside Honda on Saturday morn.  I took her in for the first routine maintenance and I mentioned to them about this problem.  They told me that that is just how these bigger bikes are.  My statement is "than that means the 1800's ride even rougher?", I didn't get a real response.  The mirrors are tightened down as snug as possible.  This was a total surprise to me cause I had heard that the 1300's ride real nice and smooth.  The bike has stock mirrors on it, btw.  Maybe someday I will get to meet some of you guys and you can ride her to see what you think.
"Lucky" Connie
Your chances of success are directly proportional to the degree of pleasure you derive from what you do.

Kentagious

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2008, 07:43:17 PM »

next M&G will have more than 4 people  ;D ;D, should be someone there that can help O0
I guess it don't seem wrong if it ain't being done to you.
2015 Victory Cross Country Tour
04' VTX 1300 S

snake

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • What a ride it's been!
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2008, 04:42:03 AM »

Convex mirrors are the only good ones, imo. A flat glass mirror shows vibration way more than convex, and has a way smaller view angle. There are vibration dampers for sale at JC Whitney that screw into the mount and then the mirrors screw into them. They help a little if you have a flat glass mirror.
:ohwow: signed: A reality-challenged left wingnut!
     420! Yeah, baby!

Lucky

• Board
  • Elvis
  • Canyon Lake, TX
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2008, 12:32:28 PM »

Thanks snake...I will check out those dampers...I figured there has to be something to help
"Lucky" Connie

RocknRoll

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Kingwood, TX
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2008, 02:54:00 PM »

hipshot, that is why I was at Eastside Honda on Saturday morn.  I took her in for the first routine maintenance and I mentioned to them about this problem.  They told me that that is just how these bigger bikes are.  My statement is "than that means the 1800's ride even rougher?", I didn't get a real response.  The mirrors are tightened down as snug as possible.  This was a total surprise to me cause I had heard that the 1300's ride real nice and smooth.  The bike has stock mirrors on it, btw.  Maybe someday I will get to meet some of you guys and you can ride her to see what you think.

Are your sure that it isn't really your head/eyeballs shaking?

Seriously - my 1300 was significanly smoother than what you describe.  I didn't change mirrors but sure would like to try a set of "Objects are right where they are supposed to be" models.
Wanna make God laugh?  -  Tell him your plans!

Wanna make God angry?  -  Treat Him with indifference!

Lucky

• Board
  • Elvis
  • Canyon Lake, TX
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2008, 03:28:31 PM »

I know that sometimes I hear things rattling in my head, but I don't think that is my problem on the bike.  :P 
Yeah, I am very eager to figure out if this is something that I can fix or if it is something to live with.  Hoping to make the M&G tomorrow night and let a "smooth" rider check her out, but it is not looking promising.
"Lucky" Connie

BlueRetro

• Tejano
  • Nolanville, TX
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2008, 05:43:25 PM »

When I get em on I'll take em for a test run and share my thoughts.

Thanks I'd appreciate it
'06  1300R

BlueRetro

• Tejano
  • Nolanville, TX
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2008, 05:45:22 PM »

Convex mirrors are the only good ones, imo. A flat glass mirror shows vibration way more than convex, and has a way smaller view angle. There are vibration dampers for sale at JC Whitney that screw into the mount and then the mirrors screw into them. They help a little if you have a flat glass mirror.

Thanks for the response Snake
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 05:47:50 PM by BlueRetro »
'06  1300R

Railroader

• Old Timer
  • ORANGE is the fastest color!
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2008, 09:38:59 AM »

Finnally got around to installing these Friday. I like them. I experienced no considerable vibration problems. They vibrate just a little on acceleration, but it smooths out at constant speeds. One mirror came loose a couple of times where the stem mounts to the bars, but a little shot of blue loctite fixed that. Things appear farther away than they actually are, but you get a much wider field of view. I can see whats directly behind the bike without seeing my arms and shoulders in the edge of the mirror like with the old stockers.
Pages: [1] 2

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal