Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Clear Tail Light???  (Read 2257 times)

Drewboy22

• Master Tejano Rider
  • San Antonio, Texas
Clear Tail Light???
« on: January 31, 2008, 09:44:36 PM »

Quick legal question for y'all.  Are clear tail lens legal in the state of Texas if you have a red bulb in the lens?

Thanks,

Drew
Ride it like you Borrowed it :)

POGOGOLF

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Jeff in GA - '02 1800 C
Re: Clear Tail Light???
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 10:02:42 PM »

Quick legal question for y'all.  Are clear tail lens legal in the state of Texas if you have a red bulb in the lens?

Thanks,

Drew
I hope so...and so does Vern!  ;)
Ride Safe!! Jeff in GA <>< I believe in Easter
'02 1800 C model - 57,000 miles and climbing

hipshot

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney, TX
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 07:32:36 AM »

None that I'm aware of are legal in Texas or in any other state. Red incandescent bulbs don't stay red. Red LEDs (they are clear when they're off) are available in a legal package, but are generally brighter through a red lens than through a clear lens. The legal clear lens/ incandescent bulb setups I've seen all have a red insert (over a clear bulb) inside the clear lens. To my knowledge nobody manufactures a such a setup for the VTX. I'm sure one could easily build his own such setup, but it wouldn't bear the DOT endorsement, and would therefore still not be legal.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 07:36:43 AM by hipshot »
02 1800C

HeadGuess

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Wills Point, Texas
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008, 09:10:51 PM »

I have the clear blinkers with yellow bulbs, but IMO the clear tail lights even with LED or red bulbs are very difficult to see in the daylight.

Drewboy22

• Master Tejano Rider
  • San Antonio, Texas
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2008, 10:16:17 PM »

Thanks for all the help, I wanted to go with the clear lens theme and all I was missing is the tail light.  So, I bought one.  Then it dawned on me "Is this legal".  I am going to ask some LEO friends of mine I just have not seen them lately.  Thanks again,

Drew

Morgan Buchanan

• Texas X Rider OverLord
    • Fantastic Opportunity!  Look and ask me about it!
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2008, 06:44:55 AM »

I dunno, I've gone thru state inspection and been pulled over for speeding with my clear lense and LED tail light and not a word was said.  Further, I don't have turn signal stalks on back, I have turn signals integrated into my tail light.
My now long gone VTX...

jeff2308

• Trailer Queen
  • 2003 black 1800 c vtx denton,texas
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2008, 01:21:53 PM »

i just checked the state of texas inspection website. no red bulbs are dot appoved for rear tail light assembly with clear lense, but tail lights with red Led lamps and clear lense  are ok. also rear turn signals must produce amber or red light. but if converted to running lamps they must be red
« Last Edit: February 03, 2008, 01:24:05 PM by jeff2308 »

jeff2308

• Trailer Queen
  • 2003 black 1800 c vtx denton,texas
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2008, 01:32:56 PM »

20.27 Tail Lamp.  Every motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, pole trailer, and any other vehicle which is being drawn at the end of a combination of vehicles shall be equipped with at least two taillamps mounted on the rear which, when lighted, shall emit a red light plainly visible from a distance of 1,000 feet to the rear, except that passenger cars and trucks manufactured or assembled prior to the model year 1960 shall have at least one tail lamp.  On vehicles equipped with more than one tail lamp, the taillamps shall be mounted on the same level and as widely spaced laterally as practicable.

Every tail lamp upon every vehicle shall be located at a height of not more than 72 inches nor less than 15 inches.  Taillamps are used only to designate the rear of a vehicle.

Every tail lamp upon motorcycles, motor-driven cycles, or mopeds shall be located at a height of not more than 72 inches nor less than 20 inches.  Tail lamp lens must be of a type meeting Department of Public Safety standards.

At least two taillamps are required on all motor vehicles, trailers, semitrailers, and pole trailers, except that at least one tail lamp is required on motorcycles, motor-driven cycles, and mopeds and all 1959 model year and earlier passenger cars and trucks.

1. Inspection Procedure.  Check operation and condition visually.

2. Inspect for and reject if:

a. Required lamp or lamps are not present.

b. Lamp is not securely mounted to vehicle.

c. Lamp does not completely emit a red light plainly visible 1,000 feet to the rear.

d. Lamp lens is painted, missing, discolored, or does not fit properly.

e. Wiring is shoddy or electrical connections are poor.

f. Lamp is not wired so as to be lighted when head lamps or auxiliary driving lamps are lighted.

g. Lamp is obstructed by any part of the body.

h. Lamp does not emit a red color. (See note, pg. 4-26)

i. Lamps are not mounted on the same level and as widely spaced laterally as practicable.

j. Lamps are not mounted on rear of vehicle.

k. Lens is cracked or broken to the extent that a portion of the lens is missing and/or separated, permitting light from the bulb to emit through the crack or break.

NOTE:  Lamp lenses cannot be repaired with repair tape or repair kit.

NOTE: Vehicles that are equipped from the manufacturer with approved lenses which are clear and lighted by L.E.D. lights will pass state inspection.

NOTE: Vehicles that are equipped with after market lenses which are clear and lighted by a red bulb will be rejected. (There are no red bulbs currently approved for use on vehicles.)

this is from texas inspection website

Morgan Buchanan

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2008, 08:16:23 PM »

That's a really odd way to put it...  clear lenses with red LED's are Ok... if they're factory equipment.  But clear lenses that are NOT factory equipment aren't...the literal way I read that.  Guess I need to take it to a Harley shop for state inspection so they won't know it's not factory.  LOL
My now long gone VTX...

Drewboy22

• Master Tejano Rider
  • San Antonio, Texas
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2008, 09:57:14 PM »

So, if I put a Red LED light inside a clear lens I should be good?  I hope i can find some loop hole to use the clear lens because it looks bad A$$. Thanks for the info guys,

Drew

Morgan Buchanan

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2008, 10:08:06 PM »

When I go to the DPS site, I find what you quoted above, sans the bottom 2 notes.  Where did you find the thing about clear lenses with LEDs being OK?

As I said, I have a clear lense with a red LED board, and I've gone thru inspection without any trouble at all, and that's without turn signal stalks.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/vi/inspection/rules_list.asp?itemdrop=Tail+Lamp&rejectsubmit=Go
My now long gone VTX...

hipshot

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney, TX
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2008, 07:39:24 AM »

The fact that some inspection stations pass some equipment does not make that equipment legal -- it just means that it was passed at that particular station. Aftermarket lamps must be DOT endorsed (among other things) to be legal. Much of the language for the standards is found in the Code of Federal Regulations, and there are very detailed parameters for issues such as color -- you'd have to be a scientist to interpret the specifications -- but as a rule of thumb of it doesn't have a DOT stamping on it it's not legal, whether Billy Bob's Live Bait & Vehicle Inspections passes it or not.
02 1800C

Morgan Buchanan

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2008, 08:18:21 AM »

I'll have to look, but I think my clear lense has a DOT stamp on it.
My now long gone VTX...

hipshot

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney, TX
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2008, 02:41:04 PM »

I'll have to look, but I think my clear lense has a DOT stamp on it.

Which would mean that the lens is DOT approved. It would not apply to the bulb.
02 1800C

Drewboy22

• Master Tejano Rider
  • San Antonio, Texas
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2008, 09:42:02 PM »

Ok,  I have checked with the people at the Inspection place!  The lens is good, but the bulb is not.  Has something to do with the fact that it is coated red and not a red light.  However, you can go to Autozone and by LED lights that fit the socket.  Just look for the LED light to replace the 1157 bulb that comes stock.  That is what I did and was told I would have no problem with inspection or the law.  Thanks for all your help guys.

Drew
Pages: [1] 2

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal