Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Need triple tree install help  (Read 1629 times)

ViciousNoob

• Master Tejano Rider
Need triple tree install help
« on: January 28, 2008, 12:00:33 AM »

Hey, guys...

I installed the VTX-treme - 6 Degree Raked Triple Trees on my bike Saturday.

It came with a new bottom bearing (Honda part 91016-KT8-005). I installed everything and took her for a spin. The damn front end was tight... I almost layed it down. I figured I just over-torqued it.

I jacked it back up, and noticed that if I grab the front wheel (when it is loose enough to turn) the bottom of the neck has about 1/8" side play both directions. If I tighten it down enough to stop the play, the f**er won't turn....

Any ideas? You think the bearing is crap? I put it back in just like the one that came out. ???
If I wasn't n00b, I sure would want to be!!! ;-)

xriderintx

• Old Timer
Re: Need triple tree install help
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 01:03:54 AM »

did you change out the races..or did you leave the old ones in there and used the new bearings only? i changed em out on mine. also,did you preload the bearings before you torqued em down..? i dont think it would be bad bearings but i guess its possible..glad you didn't drop the x!
03 1800c.. 6degree trees,cp punisher bars,corbin gunslinger,v&h bigshots,xchop

cybrhick

• Master Tejano Rider
  • The outcast
    • Hick Custom Machine Works
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 09:13:13 PM »

Also did you pack the bearings. And why only change the bottom bearing?
Displaced Texan.

ViciousNoob

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 11:19:12 PM »

The bottom bearing was the only one that came with the kit... They said it was all that was needed unless my bike has 25k miles...

Anywho, I fixed the issue...

XriderinTx,  I did everything you said, but my dumb Cranberries had the forks on it while I was torquing down the neck bolt. That caused the bottom bearing cover to get jabberwonkied.

I bought some AllBalls bearings, threw them in, Preloaded, torqued, wiggled the trees, loosened, retorqued, rewiggled, loosened, retorqued properly, put on the forks, fender, and tire.

Rides like a damn dream.

Danny, thanks for all of your help during this drama...you rule... O0

xriderintx

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 11:42:03 PM »

::) aww shucks ...twernt nuttin.. :P im just glad to hear you got it worked out! Youd think for the price of the trees you wouldve gotten top and bottom bearings...oh well i guess they know best ??? handles alot different huh? better in my opinion... O0

cybrhick

• Master Tejano Rider
  • The outcast
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008, 11:45:32 PM »

The bottom bearing was the only one that came with the kit... They said it was all that was needed unless my bike has 25k miles...

XriderinTx,  I did everything you said, but my dumb Cranberries had the forks on it while I was torquing down the neck bolt. That caused the bottom bearing cover to get jabberwonkied.

I bought some AllBalls bearings, threw them in, Preloaded, torqued, wiggled the trees, loosened, retorqued, rewiggled, loosened, retorqued properly, put on the forks, fender, and tire.

Rides like a damn dream.

So were the bearings the stock ball bearings? If so, I'm gonna need to call HDL. My trees will be here in 2 weeks, and I ain't gonna put those crappy ball bearings in my head tube.
Displaced Texan.

ViciousNoob

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2008, 01:42:37 AM »

Rides like a damn dream.

So were the bearings the stock ball bearings? If so, I'm gonna need to call HDL. My trees will be here in 2 weeks, and I ain't gonna put those crappy ball bearings in my head tube.

Yep, Stock bearings. I got mine from xChoppers, who got them from vtxtreme.

The bearing was Honda part #91016-KT8-005. Stock as hell...

I got the AllBalls tapered bearings.

All the difference in the world. I wonder why Honda never used these in the 1300's? All that wobble and all.... Hell, only 50 - 100 lbs less, and they use the crappy ball bearings!!!! The tapered rollers are SO much better. Like a BMW to my beat up truck... The tapered bearings are better than the ball bearings almost as much as my truck is better than a crappy BMW!!!

cybrhick

• Master Tejano Rider
  • The outcast
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2008, 08:00:35 AM »

Rides like a damn dream.

Yep, Stock bearings. I got mine from xChoppers, who got them from vtxtreme.

The bearing was Honda part #91016-KT8-005. Stock as hell...

I got the AllBalls tapered bearings.

All the difference in the world. I wonder why Honda never used these in the 1300's? All that wobble and all.... Hell, only 50 - 100 lbs less, and they use the crappy ball bearings!!!! The tapered rollers are SO much better. Like a BMW to my beat up truck... The tapered bearings are better than the ball bearings almost as much as my truck is better than a crappy BMW!!!

Yeah, I already have the All Ballz bearings. Looks like I'll be buying a new set.

BTW, I got mine directly from VTX-treem. If X-choppers was the only place on the planet selling raked trees, I'd cut a set out with a hacksaw before I would buy from those lowlife snakes.
Displaced Texan.

xriderintx

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2008, 05:16:17 PM »

wow..xchoppers must have a bad rep cuz i see this often..my experience with them went great..fast shipping and a good looking fender(imo)..oh well, back to the original subject.. i got my trees from hdl as well,only they're brand x. i know they had a recall or somekinda problem with the first run.. but the second run trees have given me no problems. they look great..came with upper and lower roller bearings,and its been over 2 years now since i installed em.

gsboriqua

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2008, 05:25:49 PM »

I only got 1 set of bearings too and they were the stockers.

May have to try the balls to see what all the fuss is about.

Phattened up by www.stumpwerx.com
Custom work by www.cat5customs.com

cybrhick

• Master Tejano Rider
  • The outcast
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2008, 05:34:01 PM »

wow..xchoppers must have a bad rep cuz i see this often..my experience with them went great..fast shipping and a good looking fender(imo)..oh well, back to the original subject.. i got my trees from hdl as well,only they're brand x. i know they had a recall or somekinda problem with the first run.. but the second run trees have given me no problems. they look great..came with upper and lower roller bearings,and its been over 2 years now since i installed em.

It's not their customer service. It's their ethics. They have marketed other company's products as their own for huge markups, and directly copied the designs of others. When confronted about it, they deny it, and when the proof comes out, they try to do anything to divert attention from the facts.
Displaced Texan.

ViciousNoob

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2008, 11:31:41 PM »

My experience was good with them... Grant called me back in 30 minutes when I left him a message with a question. He didn't really know computers well cause he is a mechanic, so he offered to print and fax me the needed info...

Their business practices are awesome, but I have no input on their ethics.... Cyber is a pretty straight up guy from what I hear, so I tend to trust him on that...

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal