Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Amsoil  (Read 3595 times)

MRVTX

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Magnolia, TX
    • What I do...
Re: Amsoil
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2008, 06:32:33 PM »

When I switched to Royal Purple (from BelRay synthetic) my oil temp gauge ran about five degrees cooler. I then went to Amsoil once it became available locally, and I continued to run about the same oil temp. From all I've read and seen, I believe that Amsoil is the top dog. Mobil One and Royal Purple, in that order, would be my #2 and #3 choices; Mobil One is available cheaper than Royal Purple. I do believe that the RP is as good as the M1 qualitywise, although the RP has a slightly higher moly content.

How often do you change your oil, Jim?

hipshot

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney, TX
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2008, 07:14:13 AM »

Usually around 5-6K. Tapper has had the Amsoil analysed and it's good for 8K according to Blackstone Labs.

Honda's 8K oil change intervals are, in my opinion, stupid long. An oil analysis will back that up. However, if I had to guess, I'd say that 16K on Amsoil would do less harm than 8K on Honda fossil oil. I realize that many folks are proponents of 20-25K intervals with fossil oil; they're welcome to their opinions. But I wouldn't do that to my engine. While these Honda engines are built so much better than your daddy's engine was, going that far on that oil will significantly enhance wear.
02 1800C

hooter

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • Itasca (just North of Hillsboro on sceanic I-35W)
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2008, 10:01:37 AM »

Usually around 5-6K. Tapper has had the Amsoil analysed and it's good for 8K according to Blackstone Labs.

Honda's 8K oil change intervals are, in my opinion, stupid long. An oil analysis will back that up. However, if I had to guess, I'd say that 16K on Amsoil would do less harm than 8K on Honda fossil oil. I realize that many folks are proponents of 20-25K intervals with fossil oil; they're welcome to their opinions. But I wouldn't do that to my engine. While these Honda engines are built so much better than your daddy's engine was, going that far on that oil will significantly enhance wear.

O0 O0 O0
What I do today is very important because
I traded a day of my life for it.

Whatever you want to do, do it now.
  There are only so many tomorrows.

snake

• What a ride it's been!
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2008, 10:39:24 AM »

3 K MAX ON DINO OIL, MOST I'LL GO, ANYWAY. DOESN'T MAKE SENSE TO STRETCH IT. MY 2
:ohwow: signed: A reality-challenged left wingnut!
     420! Yeah, baby!

RD

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Just another Joe in San Antonio
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2008, 10:43:37 AM »

Are you guy finished talking about oil? ???

2 threads! Gezzz! ::)
Another proud owner of 2 1800's
04' Honda VTX 1800C
08' Honda GL1800 Goldwing

hooter

« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2008, 11:11:44 AM »

Are you guy finished talking about oil? ???

2 threads! Gezzz! ::)

Well you haven't posted in a while and we didn't have anybody else to make fun of anything else to talk about.   ;D ;D 8)

hobo

• Board
  • Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Cedar Creek Lake
    • westcherry.com
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2008, 11:14:59 AM »

I was using the stuff like on Snake's avatar, but it kept eating the filters up after 40 or so miles, and my bike would "burp" when it idled for a while... ;D  Then the front end started jumping up and down... :D

« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 11:19:43 AM by hobo »
My 2003 1800C lives at the shores of Cedar Creek Lake in Mabank, Texas
Don't make me get nekkid!... Smell The Bumper... I got my cookies!

snake

• What a ride it's been!
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2008, 11:44:52 AM »

HMMMMM, yours has a different label than mine....?? ??

:ohwow: signed: A reality-challenged left wingnut!
     420! Yeah, baby!

hobo

• Board
  • Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Cedar Creek Lake
    • westcherry.com
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2008, 11:53:39 AM »

You 'musta got the specialized stuff. I guess I shouldn't have sold all of my overstock to Hooter, huh?  :P
My 2003 1800C lives at the shores of Cedar Creek Lake in Mabank, Texas
Don't make me get nekkid!... Smell The Bumper... I got my cookies!

hooter

« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2008, 12:26:15 PM »

I read the label after I got your overstock and realized it wasn't what I really wanted  to use it for but, I have found some very good and positive uses for the stuff though.
Takes corrosion off battery terminals
Works better than Drain-O on clogged drains
Cures Shingles and Athlete's foot
Will de-worm your dog in less than an hour
Kills Fleas on cats. (Well I guess it killed'em, I didn't see any after the applacation and they should've been easy to spot on a hairless feline)
Removes Chrome from Rust spots quick and easy without much rubbing.
Put 2 drops in your boss's coffee and he won't be back the rest of your shift due to some of paper work.
I'll keep y'all informed if I find anymore around the house uses for this fine product.

RD

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Just another Joe in San Antonio
« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2008, 02:16:14 PM »

Put 2 drops in your boss's coffee and he won't be back the rest of your shift due to some of paper work.

;D ;D Works better than Visine.
Another proud owner of 2 1800's
04' Honda VTX 1800C
08' Honda GL1800 Goldwing

Morgan Buchanan

• Texas X Rider OverLord
    • Fantastic Opportunity!  Look and ask me about it!
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2008, 07:53:55 AM »

I'm not shorting or cutting anybody down, but I'm what you may call "Old School" because I was taught a long time ago that clean oil means a Happy Motor and many miles of smiles. Just my $.02

Hooter, you're almost old-school enough that you were taught that man couldn't fly!  ;)
My now long gone VTX...

hooter

« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2008, 09:03:25 AM »

I'm not shorting or cutting anybody down, but I'm what you may call "Old School" because I was taught a long time ago that clean oil means a Happy Motor and many miles of smiles. Just my $.02

Hooter, you're almost old-school enough that you were taught that man couldn't fly!  ;)

That very well could be,

but just remember this post as your on the side of the road with a puddle of oil under your ride and a rod hanging out the front of your crankcase trying to make that 16,000 mile mark on that last oil change.

Morgan Buchanan

• Texas X Rider OverLord
    • Fantastic Opportunity!  Look and ask me about it!
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2008, 12:57:02 PM »

Hehe..  I'm actually planning on having my oil tested at about the 7k mark of my first run of amsoil.  I don't see doing 16k personally either, but it's dry and dusty here.
My now long gone VTX...

MRVTX

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Magnolia, TX
    • What I do...
« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2008, 07:29:34 PM »

I looked back over my maintenance history, and ran 16k miles once between changes.  I just recently changed oil again and had 11,474 miles since the last one.  My bike runs fine the way I've been maintaining it.

Here's what others are saying on the VTXOA regarding synthetic oil...and three of these people are AMSOIL dealers!

Quote from: Chicago-Spike
You can easily go 8,000 miles and longer on AMSOIL or Mobil 1. I changed the oil once a year in the fall. Ride it in the spring and would change the filter halfway in the summer. I've had the oil tested by Blackstone-Labs.com and after a full riding season of over 8,000 miles the oil was still within protection specs and was deemed good for another 3,000 miles befor another test was recommended

to all that is worried about oil,i go 10 to 15,000 mi. with out changing it and have been doing it since it was new! I use amsoil 20w50 and have not had a proplem! I change filter half way through season! I now have 70,000mi. on it and runs as good or better that it did new!!! I haven't even changed the antifreeze in it yet!
 I change the oil in the spring rather that fall,i feel if i change it in the spring,no condensation can form in it during storage!
 PS  I run a car tire on mine and see no great diff. in handling just takes a few miles to get use to it!  $200.00 for bike tire lasts one season,$70.00 for car tire looks like it will last 2-3 years minimum! Some kike them some don't,you won't lose much if you don't like it!

If your changing your Amsoil MC oil more than once a year and under 16,000 miles your changing way to soon.

once a year or 16000 mile is what amsoil recomends. i have been doing less that 16000 a yeart so i do it once a year. i had a 1980 bmw 320i that i bought new and i did 21000 mile oil changes. at 175000 miles i took off the valve cover and it looked like a new engine inside. i have been a amsoil dealer since 1976. i use it in everything i have.

WOW!! I change my AMSOIL once a year in the fall before storing it for the winter. About 8,000-10,000 miles on it, and tested after the year and was OK'd for another 3,000 miles before another test. Oil in the old days, needed to be changed often as it didn't have any or much detergents in it. Even natural oil these days have some detergents and will be cleaner in the engine after 3,000 miles. So, you might consider leaving the better AMSOIL in the engine for longer than 3k. It's barely broke in by that time  8)

PS....I know that old habbits die hard. My 2003 BMW we bought new and it came with full synthetic oil in the engine and the first oil change was supposed to 15,000 miles  :shock: 
Now me being used to my Dad teaching me on a new engine change the oil at @500 miles, that 15,000 mile oil change lasted untill I couldn't take it anymore! It was changed at 1,200 miles  :D

Pages: 1 2 [3]

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal