Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Handlebar mitt review  (Read 2275 times)

Txcruiser

• Old Timer
    • TxCruiser's MySpace
Handlebar mitt review
« on: January 25, 2008, 03:52:13 PM »

I finally received my handlebar mitts from Shanghai, China, It took 25 days total, but over all I am pleased.  They work well, easy to get into even with gloves and a jacket on, I have only put about 25 miles on em today but it's in the 40's and never noticed it on my hands, it does work better with gloves, but prior to these, the wind went thru my leather Kevlar gloves.  Shipping and all they were only 18.45 US.  They do have some stupid graphics on them on one side, almost flipped them, but one o the gloves has a silt on only one side, where the other one has slits on both sides.  I will try some solvent or maybe even spray paint and cover up the image on them now. Not sure if I will leave the fuzz, may dye it black or just trim it up.  I Just thought I would share for anyone that was looking for a set of these.

For those intrested, check out their store:
 http://search.stores.ebay.com/VirtualVillage-Oz_HandleBar-Muffs_W0QQfciZQ2d1QQfclZ4QQfsnZVirtualVillageQ2dOzQQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQsaselZ184102209QQsofpZ0

Militman

• Old Timer
  • "Ride hard or get out of my way!"
Re: Handlebar mitt review
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 05:59:01 PM »

Wow those look really weird. What is the ease of use to get your hands out? I know you said easy but what about and emergency?

HeadGuess

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Wills Point, Texas
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008, 06:55:52 PM »

I'd rather stay home!

SouthernXer

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • BRAD Allen, Texas
    • Me playing music
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2008, 07:45:48 PM »

I'd rather stay home!
;D  +1...  the Jeep has a heater.   O0

WILD E

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2008, 08:34:07 PM »

Careful you park that thing ,
 Someone will think its some kind of sex toy !!!  :o
03 1800 VTX RS BLACK
New Braunfels

Lucky

• Board
  • Elvis
  • Canyon Lake, TX
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2008, 09:36:51 PM »

What's it like when you go to put on the brake...are you not hindered by the mitt, especially if you have an emergency stop?  They look very interesting, but I'm concerned with ease of using your levers.
"Lucky" Connie
'06 Pearl Dark Blue 1300C
If you don't love what you're doing, then don't do it.
Your chances of success are directly proportional to the degree of pleasure you derive from what you do.

sgtstever

• Master Tejano Rider
  • BOHICA
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2008, 10:52:49 PM »

Every Korean has those on their bikes/mopeds in the winter time, I have rode a bike over there with those things on, gave me the most uncomfortable/uneasy feeling.  Be careful and ride safe.
"Si vis pacem, para bellum"

Txcruiser

• Old Timer
    • TxCruiser's MySpace
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2008, 12:22:35 AM »

Wow those look really weird. What is the ease of use to get your hands out? I know you said easy but what about and emergency?

They do look a little odd for sure, but they work, I have other vehicles, and I know that Jeeps have heaters, they have A/C's, CD players and they should have curb feelers also, but that's another story. ;D  Anyway,  The mitts were cheap, they keep the cold air off at highway speeds, and even with my thick jacket and gloves my hands can work the controls and get out very easy. Not bad at all. Granted they look funny, but, a ride from here to SA in 35 degree weather for 2 hours and my hands were numb with just gloves. There is a guy selling a similar product ( http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=228244 ) on the VTXOA list or at least trying and had not been very dependable for various reasons and wanted 3x's the price for similar goofy looking things, I was just offering up another option for those that were willing to pay 3x's the price. I have spent more than $20.00 on dumber, less useful stuff I'm sure. 

You should see what I have dumped on 4WD's:

snake

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • What a ride it's been!
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2008, 07:03:52 AM »

Thanks for the product review. A lot of people don't ride when it's cold, but hey, some of us just have to! ;D Those would make it a little easier on us that do. I also would wonder about the safety issue, but I guess if you keep your hands on the handlebars like you're supposed to, they will be in the right place for an emergency stop. I have a bad habit of riding with just one or sometimes none, so I'd hafta' be scramblin' to get my hands back in for emergencies, lol.
:ohwow: signed: A reality-challenged left wingnut!
     420! Yeah, baby!

Morgan Buchanan

• Texas X Rider OverLord
    • Fantastic Opportunity!  Look and ask me about it!
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2008, 08:26:46 AM »

I have a pair of these... different model.  Mine don't have the ***** fur opening.  :)  I got mine from a guy who posted on the big VTXOA site, but he lives in DFW.  Turns out he works less than 5 minutes from my office, so I swung buy and picked them up.  No shipping, no tax...what a good thing.  So I got mine for like $31.  They're pretty fair, actually.  With them and summer weight gloves my hands are warmer than they were in thinsulate gauntlets.  The easy of using the controls is actually pretty amazing.  Mine are designed differently than these.  I have a thumb area that I use to actuate the turn signals and horn external to the glove.  I'm thinking about using the basic design and re-making the unit out of leather, to integrate the horn and signal controls to the inside.  The body has a slight stiffness to it, and doesn't at all hinder getting to the levers.  I may also get ahold of some gerbing type electrical unit and basically put a heating pad in it.  That's probably going to be a summer project.  :)  What I have now will last a few seasons because, frankly, it's not cold enough in Texas to use them but for a few weeks of riding.  I only want them at like below 45 degrees for commuting.  I deffinately want them for a longer trip.  But I'll probably take them off for Wilhoits today, as it's going to be 50 degrees at noon, for example.
My now long gone VTX...

Militman

• Old Timer
  • "Ride hard or get out of my way!"
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2008, 08:34:44 AM »

Ah the good ol' military M998. Works like a charm. :)

SouthernXer

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • BRAD Allen, Texas
    • Me playing music
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2008, 09:14:10 AM »

Where was the picture of the CJ taken?  That is my kind of fun right there.  The closest we have to Dallas is Gilmer, TX and Clayton, OK.

jackandangie

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2008, 10:02:16 AM »

I use something similar on my 4 wheeler called hippo hands. I've used them on the bike and they work great. I got them at academy and I remember they were pretty cheap. The only thing is that they're camo so they don't really go with the bike, but they function very well.

Jack

VTreX

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Rubythroatedhumming VT-reX Temple TX
    • http://www.patriotguard.org/photos/listpics.asp?a=show&ID=395
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2008, 10:44:02 AM »

I use something similar on my 4 wheeler called hippo hands. I've used them on the bike and they work great. I got them at academy and I remember they were pretty cheap. The only thing is that they're camo so they don't really go with the bike, but they function very well.

Jack
ME TOO   O0 O0
03-C U-green It is neither those in the round nor the square that reach the top, but those in the spiral.... Now have added a red ''07 Gold Wing with everything except an AIRBAG!!  SOLD THE WING  SAD DAY!!

Txcruiser

• Old Timer
    • TxCruiser's MySpace
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2008, 09:52:18 PM »

Where was the picture of the CJ taken?  That is my kind of fun right there.  The closest we have to Dallas is Gilmer, TX and Clayton, OK.

No CJ up there, it's a FJ-40  Toyota Land Cruiser.  and that was at Cibilo creek around Live Oak outside S.A.  I have been to Clayton and Disney, OK. Big time involved with Gilmer,  I use to be the At Large Rep and a Charter member of TMTC.  Just a FYI, keep checking with TMTC, We have a new property in Ozona being developed, more wheeling areas coming. 
Now a days I'm limited to more local wheeling at Trees Ranch or Katemcy Rocks.  With gas prices being what they are, the days of Gilmer, OK and Moab are behind me now. BTDT

Pages: [1] 2

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal