Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Security  (Read 1684 times)

k9paws

Security
« on: April 24, 2006, 08:15:21 PM »

This probably sounds strange, but in preparing for my up coming trip I realized that I do not have any type of security for bike. I have not been doing any over nighters or go places that I have to worry about so I have not had to worry about securing it. On this trip I will be staying at a couple different motels both going and returning. My question is what type of security would be appropirate. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Another reason has come to mind and that is the current gas prices and the predictions of them going even higher bikes may become a target.

Take Care and Ride Safe

DAR-Silver Surfer

• Old Timer
  • 1300R - Spring, Tx.
Re: Security
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2006, 09:08:48 PM »

Get a first floor room and park it in the room ;D.  I wouldn't spend a whole lot on locks because 4 men can probably pick it up and put it in the back of a pickup if they wanted to.  Your best bet may be a cover.  If they can't see it they may not bother it.  Have a good trip.
Now known as - The Silver Surfer

jarubio

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Round Rock, TX
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2006, 09:33:02 PM »

DAR is right, if there are four men, they can pick up the bike and load it up on a truck. The probability of four men stealing your bike is low. I have heard that the Kryptonite disk locks are very good. Check this link out from Honda Direct Line http://www.hondadirectlineusa.com/stores/byProduct.asp?prd=Locks&str=13&ID=68154675
2005 VTX 1300
Vance & Hines Big Shots Staggered
Kuryakyn Pro Series Hypercharger
K&N Air Filter
Xtreme Revolution Fairing
Cobra Sissy Bar
Lindby Custom Engine Gaurd
Kuryakyn Foot Pegs
I lost count of all of the chrome she has :-D

Jimbo

• Trailer Queen
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2006, 09:41:47 PM »

This topic has come up on occasion the the VTXOA boards.  Allot of folks recommend asking the front desk folks to allow parking right outside within direct view of the check-in desk. Usually they are monitored 24/7 by security cameras and theives seeing an employee on duty are more reluctant to try to make off with the bike. Can't hurt to ask...
03 Black 1800R, Deluxe backrest/lugage rack, Switchblade 2-up, Cobra fatboy highway bars and other little creature comforts...

Skydvr

• Tejano
  • Arlington, Texas
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2006, 04:52:20 AM »

I use a disc lock , plus I have LoJack.

pepsX

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Missouri City TX
    • pepsX products
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2006, 06:24:19 AM »

.45 works pretty good for me
I used to have 1000 post on the old board.

www.pepsX.com

RobDogg

• Old Timer
  • Sanger, TX (North Denton)
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2006, 06:33:29 AM »

I've got a disk lock that I use a lot.  It won't keep a group from stealing it but it will certainly keep a couple of punk kids from carting it off.  I had a friend who had his parked right out side his window under a cover.  3 guys came by one night, took off the cover and pushed it a block over so they could hotwire it.  I know because one of his neighbors saw them in the street trying to get it going, which they did. (puke of a neighbor for not calling the cops)  They found the frame of the bike about 3 months later.

A disk lock probably would have prevented this particular scenario.

I have also asked to park my bike by the front at motels before.  One went as far as to offer to let me pull it into their gated atrium next to the pool.  I'll stay at that hotel again after the great hospitality I got there. (If I ever get back to Australia   ;)  )
RobDogg

"No Child Should Live In Fear"
link--> B.A.C.A - Bikers Against Child Abuse

'03 1800C - Customized by me, for me, the way I want it.

k9paws

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2006, 07:08:14 PM »

Thanks everyone, appreciate the help.

Swampfox

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2006, 10:12:45 PM »

That's not all

Gary if you hide your cell in the side panel and it's gone when you return just give it a call if you use a ring tone that sound like Robo cop they just might get off and run like hell then call your cell company they should beable to locate it.  ;D

HeadGuess

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Wills Point, Texas
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2006, 01:47:53 PM »

I need a ringtone like that!

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal