Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Have you ever....  (Read 1246 times)

Boogie

• Master Tejano Rider
  • GULF OF MEXICO
Have you ever....
« on: January 11, 2008, 06:09:15 PM »

Ever wonder how the Goldwing air bag works?

http://www.afunnystuff.com/videos/Extreme-videos/A-honda-goldwing-crash-video.html

I hope you never have to find out!
                      Native Texan, I ride a steel horse

jeff2308

• Trailer Queen
  • 2003 black 1800 c vtx denton,texas
Re: Have you ever....
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 06:24:03 PM »

damm that is some video. hope no one would ever have that happen to them. :o

RD

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Just another Joe in San Antonio
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 06:46:04 PM »

A lot of people have asked me about the airbag, and why. My take on it is that many Police Departments use Honda Goldwings for the Motor Patrol. From what I've seen, most of the bikes are used in urban area's for the ease of moving through traffic. Also they're used for radar alot in suburban area's, ie. school zones. Much of the time they're in city speedlimits, 30-45mph. The airbar can be very effective at that speed range. Example: A car backs out of a blind driveway on a crowded street with parked cars. The car driver probably won't be able to see the street, either way, when the rearend of the bumper is at the street. Most, just backout and pray. This could result of the "T bone" crash shown in the video.

Another reason Honda may have installed the airbag...........they could. O0
Another proud owner of 2 1800's
04' Honda VTX 1800C
08' Honda GL1800 Goldwing

hipshot

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney, TX
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 09:25:36 PM »

Nothing is a 100% fix. Seatbelts, shoulderbelts, airbags; each helps more often than not, and each may do more harm than good in some unusual circumstances. You just play the odds. I think the airbag is a great idea, and one type of injury I've seen in a number of motorcycle crashes -- the handlebars breaking the rider's legs as he/she goes over -- will probably be prevented by the airbag in many cases, even if the bag doesn't directly cushion the driver from the object struck. I imagine that as the bugs get worked out and the price comes down airbags will be offered on a lot more bikes of the future.
02 1800C

jmdaniel

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • My other toy, '77 FJ40...
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2008, 05:26:24 AM »

A lot of people have asked me about the airbag, and why. My take on it is that many Police Departments use Honda Goldwings for the Motor Patrol. From what I've seen, most of the bikes are used in urban area's for the ease of moving through traffic. Also they're used for radar alot in suburban area's, ie. school zones. Much of the time they're in city speedlimits, 30-45mph. The airbar can be very effective at that speed range. Example: A car backs out of a blind driveway on a crowded street with parked cars. The car driver probably won't be able to see the street, either way, when the rearend of the bumper is at the street. Most, just backout and pray. This could result of the "T bone" crash shown in the video.

I thought the airbag installation on a Wing happened when the dealer handed the new owner the keys.... no?  ???

;D ;D ;)
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
-- Unknown

2016 Honda F6B Deluxe
2007 Yamaha FJR1300A
2003 Honda VTX 1300

hooter

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • Itasca (just North of Hillsboro on sceanic I-35W)
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2008, 06:01:28 AM »

I thought the airbag installation on a Wing happened when the dealer handed the new owner the keys.... no?  ???

;D ;D ;)

No Jeff, those aren't airbags, I believe you call these things Wind Bags  ;D ;D ;D

Right RD?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 06:03:29 AM by hooter »
What I do today is very important because
I traded a day of my life for it.

Whatever you want to do, do it now.
  There are only so many tomorrows.

jmdaniel

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • My other toy, '77 FJ40...
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2008, 06:05:20 AM »

No Jeff, those aren't airbags, I believe you call these things Wind Bags  ;D ;D ;D

Right RD?

Oooops, you are quite correct, Hooter!  O0
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
-- Unknown

2016 Honda F6B Deluxe
2007 Yamaha FJR1300A
2003 Honda VTX 1300

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal