Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Got rattle!! Need help!@#$  (Read 1574 times)

vtxridersg

• Old Timer
  • 06 VTX1800C Spec 2
Got rattle!! Need help!@#$
« on: January 09, 2008, 12:26:51 PM »

>:( :-\ I have an '06 1800C with some bad rattling going on under the gas tank. (never had it off) It only happens as I'm running through the gears or at about mid to upper rpm range. It sounds like two pieces of metal vibrating together really loud. Anyone have any ideas what it could be or maybe point me in the right direction to look? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Brad and Morgan I know you guys took all the smog stuff off under yours. Thoughts???
Minds are like parachutes....they only function when open!!

lakebum1980

• Old Timer
Re: Got rattle!! Need help!@#$
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 01:08:08 PM »

Sounds like the dreaded speedometer rattle to me.  I am having the same problem right now also.  I have not gotten around to fixing mine yet.

There are several fixes for it.  I am going to try putting rubber o-rings around all the bolts between the chrome piece and the tank.

SouthernXer

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • BRAD Allen, Texas
    • Me playing music
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 03:04:42 PM »

You bought a Honda with plastic crap on it, Scott.   ;D  Like Ben said, it's probably just your speedo wiggling around in there.  Mine does, too.  You can take it all off and tape it up good with some electrical tape, that may quiten things down a bit.   O0

hooter

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • Itasca (just North of Hillsboro on sceanic I-35W)
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 03:51:55 PM »

My stiuation sounded just like yours, rattle - scrapping under the tank and highter RPM except that's not what it was. It's the Headlight. Trust me. Here's a fix.

Some of us out here have gotten the infamous "headlight rattle". While the dealer can fix the problem, they are essentially doing the very same thing we are. I'd trust me working on my bike a little more sometimes. Easy 5 minute fix.

Here's the fix. Remove the screws holding the the headlight into the bucket and remove the headlight. At the bottom of the headlight bucket you will see a tab extending out, this is where you take about a 1" piece of two sided tape (or a clear piece of rubber tubing slit to be a flat piece) and cut a slit into the length of the tab. Place the tape over the slit and replace headlight.

You can do the samething with Black electrical. Now go out and wiggle your H/L bezel and hear the sound and fix it while your there.
What I do today is very important because
I traded a day of my life for it.

Whatever you want to do, do it now.
  There are only so many tomorrows.

vtxridersg

• Old Timer
  • 06 VTX1800C Spec 2
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2008, 04:05:43 PM »

Yea, you told me that before Brad :D :D Sucks that they put that cheap crap on an overall nice bike. The speedo is on the bars and the light cluster is on the tank. I had all of that off last night and took it out of the equation. The sound isn't coming from that, it is litterally under the tank. I thought for a while it might be one of the heat shields on my V & H's but all of those are tight. There is definately something under the tank. Oh, yea I know about the headlight thing too, nothing there either. Brad, I may see if I can hook up with you for a couple of minutes so you can hear it sometime or I may pop the tank off when I have time to see what's I find. Let me know if your interested.

SouthernXer

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • BRAD Allen, Texas
    • Me playing music
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2008, 05:25:57 PM »

Yea, you told me that before Brad :D :D Sucks that they put that cheap crap on an overall nice bike. The speedo is on the bars and the light cluster is on the tank. I had all of that off last night and took it out of the equation. The sound isn't coming from that, it is litterally under the tank. I thought for a while it might be one of the heat shields on my V & H's but all of those are tight. There is definately something under the tank. Oh, yea I know about the headlight thing too, nothing there either. Brad, I may see if I can hook up with you for a couple of minutes so you can hear it sometime or I may pop the tank off when I have time to see what's I find. Let me know if your interested.

Cool, let me know.  We'll check the headlight, too.  It's plastic, too.   O0

skipppy75

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Cypress, TX
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2008, 05:45:34 PM »

Well I got a rattle today and figured it out to be the exhaust.
My exhaust tip somehow became loose and it makes a horrible noise.
Took me banging around with my hand to finally figure out where it was coming from
Thought it was the hypercharger at first

03 1800C bought Aug. 26 and road home 1000+ miles in about 16hrs
05 1300C sold July 21 damaged by 2 deer and road
01 ACE 750 25K miles and sold

vtxridersg

• Old Timer
  • 06 VTX1800C Spec 2
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2008, 12:37:25 PM »

I did the same thing. Banging with my hand thinking it was the heat shields. One of my tips came loose as well. I figure just runnin a wrench around the bike once a month will keep everything tight!

SouthernXer

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • BRAD Allen, Texas
    • Me playing music
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2008, 12:47:51 PM »

I did the same thing. Banging with my hand thinking it was the heat shields. One of my tips came loose as well. I figure just runnin a wrench around the bike once a month will keep everything tight!

Don't lose the tips!!!  V&H's thinks a whole lot of them.  Don't ask me how I know.   :( 

Scott, give me call and we'll give her a good once over this weekend.   O0

skipppy75

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Cypress, TX
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2008, 01:53:31 PM »

glad it worked out for you
my rattle is now gone after I tightened up that srew

03 1800C bought Aug. 26 and road home 1000+ miles in about 16hrs
05 1300C sold July 21 damaged by 2 deer and road
01 ACE 750 25K miles and sold

vtxridersg

• Old Timer
  • 06 VTX1800C Spec 2
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2008, 07:53:02 AM »

Yea, I think I heard that story before Brad. I'll give you a shout sometime over the weekend. Funny thing, rode home from work last night and had the same rattle just not quite as loud. Hopped on it this morning, 32 miles to work and not a sound. It just mysteriously disappeared! Crazy!! :D :o By the way, the HOV lane is awesome from McKinney to 635! O0 O0

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal