Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Tent Camping  (Read 2058 times)

hookem

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Port Neches, Texas
Tent Camping
« on: January 05, 2008, 12:07:38 AM »

Trying to plan a week to 10-day trek thru some areas normally untraveled by me.  I would like to have the option of either bunking at a local hotel/inn or pitching a tent.  My question is for those who travel with their tent on the X.  What type of tent/sleeping bag setup do you use.  Just trying to make the most of the space we have to use on the X.  I use LeatherLyke bags and a large tombstone type bag on the rear seat.
Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.
Ronald Reagan

murray_61

• Board
  • Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Hobe Sound, FL
    • facebook
Re: Tent Camping
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 01:31:11 AM »

I first had the idea to tie off a bed roll and small tent to the front of the bike like reno raines from renegade...  You can go over or under the headlight, or both...

but the wind was a little weird doing 80 on I20 with no windshield, it was ok when I wasn't speeding, but I opted to tie it on top of the saddle bag on the way home...

tied it off to the saddle bag supports and threw the excess rope in the bag...

Dusty

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 07:03:23 AM »

Duane,

I started for Colorado with a two man tent, sleeping bag, a single air mattress (which wasn't there when I stopped) & a T-bag. The passenger seat was full, the saddle bags were full, the T-bag was full, I had stuff strapped all over and the bike was top very heavy.

Next camping trip I had a passenger and we went to Rayburn. Took T-bag, 8x10 tent, double air mattress, a very small ice chest, and a folding grill that I could set up over the fire for cooking. We did ok but again, the bike was very top heavy.

All in all it was a pain. Admittedly I tend to carry too much, but I plan for the worst.

I decided to install a hitch and build a trailor.

I now bring a 17x10 tent, table, coleman stove, 32 quart ice chest (full), limited cookware, a 20'x20' tarp and a queensize 16" thick air mattress which is wonderful for my fat arse.

When do we leave?  :)

paperpeddler

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 11:13:35 AM »

Hey Hookem, I have traveled several thousnd miles to Sturgis and Utah several times and camped out.  I have a Tbag for the clothes and this goes on the passenger seat. I have a Paledan  luggage rack and it is small.  I put a 2 man tent and my self inflating foam mattress, and sleeping bag on this luggage rack like a pyramid to meet the T bag .  It travels very well, never had any problems.  I use Bungies to position everything and then nylon pull straps to secure everything.  If you need anything else email me, glad to help.

Regards Paperpeddler

hookem

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Port Neches, Texas
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2008, 10:30:07 PM »

Sure do appreciate the info. guys.  Also, I saw a similar post on the Nat'l. Board and there are some ideas there as well. 

Dusty, I thought about the trailer idea, just not sure where in the world I would keep the thing.  Looks like a redneck paradise here already with the vehicles, 3 bikes, 2 trailers, tractor, ...........

I am pretty determined to simply pack the tour pack, the saddlebags, and use the rear rack for the tent/sleeping bad.  I have pretty much decided that on this trip. at least, to forego the stove/coffee pot, and other "luxuries" and simply rely on the local economy where I may wake-up/retire for the day.

Ronald Reagan

youngblood

• Tejano
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2008, 10:22:08 AM »

For more room.

Since your a redneck take a blow up doll instead of an air matress. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :'( :-X :-X :-X
2006 1800 F2 for now

hookem

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Port Neches, Texas
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2008, 05:50:26 PM »

For more room.

Since your a redneck take a blow up doll instead of an air matress. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :'( :-X :-X :-X

::)  Whatever.   ::)

Ronald Reagan

Pokins

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2008, 10:49:48 PM »

my bike = ROT

samantha48

• Trailer Queen
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2010, 02:34:13 AM »

Well, planning to a camping trip is really interesting and excited. But remember to bring your own tent. It has been known that the key to a camping adventure is the camping tent.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 09:54:34 PM by samantha48 »

HeadGuess

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Wills Point, Texas
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2010, 04:07:59 AM »

For more room.

That is the best suggestion so far! :pot:

xcaliber

• Board
  • Elvis
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2010, 06:43:25 AM »

for coffee, I use a Jet Boil , and the tea bag type coffee . it is small and compact. I carry a two man tent, air mattress. Get the plug in type of electric pump for your air mattress as all campgrounds have power in the restrooms. Don't forget flip flopps for taking a shower as some of them can get kinda funky. I love to MC tent camp over motels. When you are camping and you see the show of stars  provided by a dark campsite you'll know why.
It's all just part of the adventure!

matap

• Board
  • Master of Monumental Proportions
  • "Just put that hammer down and give it hell" -J.R.
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2010, 06:57:11 AM »

for coffee, I use a Jet Boil , and the tea bag type coffee . it is small and compact. I carry a one man & one woman tent, air mattress. Get the plug in type of electric pump for your air mattress as all campgrounds have power in the restrooms. Don't forget flip flopps for taking a shower as some of them can get kinda funky. I love to MC tent camp over motels. When you are camping and you see the show of stars  provided by a dark campsite you'll know why.

Here i fixed it for you.  :stickpoke:
"Talk low, talk slow and don't talk too much" - John Wayne

hooter

• Itasca (just North of Hillsboro on sceanic I-35W)
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2010, 07:20:47 AM »

Well, planning to a camping trip is really interesting and excited. But remember to bring your own tent. A tent is a shelter, consisting of sheets of fabric or other material draped over or attached to a frame of poles. The key to your camping adventure is the camping tent.

:cantbelieve:
What I do today is very important because
I traded a day of my life for it.

Whatever you want to do, do it now.
  There are only so many tomorrows.

Gumbo

• Board
  • Elvis
  • 06 1800R
\"The moment you taste it, something wet and dark leaps on you and starts humping you like a swamp dog in heat, and the only way to get it off you is to eat it off, It\'s Gumbo!! If you don\'t eat it then the mystery beast will go right on humping you.

j1mmyj4m

• The Shocker
  • Administrator
  • Deer Park, Tx
Chunk the llama.
Pages: [1] 2

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal