Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Brake Pads  (Read 1229 times)

LoneWolf

• Tejano
Brake Pads
« on: December 30, 2007, 11:28:49 PM »

Ya might wanna check your brake pads from time to time. I haven't since I got my X back in April of '05 and when I changed out my cables I took a look at them. Needless to say there wasn't any rotor damage and I must be one lucky S.O.B. not to have any issues at this point. I'm surprised I had anything left when I looked at them.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

07VTXPredator

• Old Timer
Re: Brake Pads
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007, 12:12:31 AM »

I thought all these new brake pads had that little soft metal plate on them now that scrapes on the rotor (that squeeling noise) without damaging it to let you know the brakes are worn out.......

I dont see em on those pad...?
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

heirloom

• Old Timer
  • Tyler, Texas
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2008, 12:13:35 PM »

The VTX doesn't have a 'squealer', well, mine doesn't.  How many miles on your X, Wolf??  Are those off the rear or front???

I check mine pretty regular....if you shine a good light on them, you can see the 'wear indicator' (a small groove or two cut into the pad material, when the groove is gone it's time for new pads!).  I have an '03 1800R and the pads are still above the indicators.  Admittedly, I don't ride her real hard, but, I don't use engine braking, either. (I figure it is easier and cheaper to change brake pads than clutches,  O0).  The best part is you can change the pads without pulling the caliper.
Heirloom, MSF Rider Coach
Love my bikes!!!

snake

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • What a ride it's been!
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2008, 12:27:43 PM »

Roland, I just have to ask...what IS THAT in your avatar?? ?? ??  ;D It says melon, but...?
:ohwow: signed: A reality-challenged left wingnut!
     420! Yeah, baby!

Dusty

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2008, 01:09:30 PM »

Roland, I just have to ask...what IS THAT in your avatar?? ?? ??  ;D It says melon, but...?

Man you got good eyes, I was trying to figure it out the other day and came up with a Beagle dressed in a Halloween witches costume.  ::)

heirloom

• Old Timer
  • Tyler, Texas
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2008, 01:34:39 PM »

Hey Snake! and Dusty!.....good to read your faces again.   The avatar????...why, it is just a building.  I don't see no beagle or melon!
The other one was just too bad, it was wrong.  Yeah, it was just a banana and a cantaloupe, but, it was wrong.  Actually, my wife didn't like it and I didn't like the bouncy fat kid.

Trying to find something unique....the building ain't it.....still looking.   :o
Heirloom, MSF Rider Coach
Love my bikes!!!

LoneWolf

• Tejano
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2008, 03:44:34 PM »

I've got about 28k on my X now, only took it in for the first 2 service checks so I don't think they messed with my brake pads. I'll be changing my rear brakes this weekend, just glad I changed out my front before riding today.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Dusty

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2008, 06:12:04 PM »

Hey Snake! and Dusty!.....good to read your faces again.   The avatar????...why, it is just a building.  I don't see no beagle or melon!
The other one was just too bad, it was wrong.  Yeah, it was just a banana and a cantaloupe, but, it was wrong.  Actually, my wife didn't like it and I didn't like the bouncy fat kid.

Trying to find something unique....the building ain't it.....still looking.   :o

I'm Just gonna plead stupidity. I looked at Lonewolf's and it's probably not a Beagle either.

But your avatar is wild. Having been in construction for 30 years I'm having nightmares trying to figure how to build it and come in under budget.  ::) :D

Bill

snake

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • What a ride it's been!
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2008, 08:23:28 PM »

Man you got good eyes, I was trying to figure it out the other day and came up with a Beagle dressed in a Halloween witches costume.  ::)
LOL. No Dusty, it didn't say that, but if you right clicked and hit properties, that's what it was named.
I really think it was meant to look like a couple of other "things", but that may just be my gutter mind working overtime, LOL :o
:ohwow: signed: A reality-challenged left wingnut!
     420! Yeah, baby!

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal